breast fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharpknife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody know the progress of breast fellowship interviews, has people been getting interviews already?

Members don't see this ad.

i applied to 17... 3 invites, 1 rejection.
anyone else? hoping to hear from the rest soon.

Applied to all programs in the U.S.
Interview invites from 5; no rejections. (Yet)
Wish I'd hear from more...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondered where people are getting interview invitations from.
(Don't know if I really want to know. If they've already sent invitations out, it might just mean that I'm not going to get one!)

I got interview invites from:
Stanford
Emory
Akron
Arkansas
Philly
Michigan

Also, does anyone know how many applicants there are this year for breast fellowships, and the statistics for those applicants? Not finding that info anywhere.
Just trying to figure out how competitive it is this year.

Last edited:
Have heard from:

Stanford
USC
John Wayne
Wash U
Bryn Mawr

Did anyone apply to any non-SSO fellowships and hear anything yet?

hi ive heard from 8... some listed above plus

Cleveland Clinic
UPittsburgh
Moffitt
MD Anderson.

flyingsutures- is your "Philly" the Univ of Pennsylvania? or another program in Philly?

I applied to 1 non-SSO program and I havent heard from them yet.

Last edited:
hi ive heard from 8... some listed above plus

Cleveland Clinic
UPittsburgh
Moffitt
MD Anderson.

flyingsutures- is your "Philly" the Univ of Pennsylvania? or another program in Philly?

I applied to 1 non-SSO program and I havent heard from them yet.

Hi, Almostthere --
The Univ of Pennsylvania.

I also heard from Wash U in Missouri. (Decline) I wish all the programs would at least send a decline letter so I'd at least know not to hope for an interview letter. Anybody else out there get decline letters?

Also, has anyone heard from UTSW or Baylor in Texas or the Florida programs? Guess I'm looking for warm weather. California and Florida, come on down! And how do you apply to the non-sso programs? When was the deadline there? Missed that...

Last edited:
I will be careful with non-SSO accredited programs.

I realize there are some out there that are accredited by different governing bodies, however, if the SSO approves a CAQ in breast surgery and fellowship trained surgeons are grandfathered in, you will not be eligible.

It probably goes without saying that you should not be applying to any non-accredited fellowship.

Winged Scapula,
Was hoping you'd join in. Thanks for the info -- and the advice. I value that. I had done some research on non-accredited programs and had just about decided that that wasn't the way to go. It's just tempting when one has no idea if they are competitive or not, I guess. It also doesn't help that there is no information out there on the strengths and weaknesses of the applicant pool for breast. Thanks again --
flyingsutures

By the way, my list of interviews so far:

Stanford
Emory
Arkansas
Philly
Beaumont
Cleveland Clinic
Mayo
Akron
Atlanta
Maryland
USC

Anyone hearing from programs in warmer climates?
flyingsutures

Last edited:
i have a question i hope this group can help me with. i'm an md/phd student interested in some type of surgery with a cancer focus, and i'll be applying for residency in two years. i hope to end up at a large university setting where i can set up a basic science lab and remain active as a surgeon. for now, i'm wavering between neurosurgery or general surgery with the goal of a surg-onc/breast/some other organ-oncology type fellowship.

my main question to those who are familiar with the process – is it out of the question to NOT do a ~2 year research fellowship during a general surgery residency and still be a good oncology fellowship applicant? i'll have 4 years of solid cancer-focused work from my PhD with associated papers and presentations. as you all seem to be in the midst of these applications/interviewers, this seems like a great group to ask.

thanks!

i have a question i hope this group can help me with. i'm an md/phd student interested in some type of surgery with a cancer focus, and i'll be applying for residency in two years. i hope to end up at a large university setting where i can set up a basic science lab and remain active as a surgeon. for now, i'm wavering between neurosurgery or general surgery with the goal of a surg-onc/breast/some other organ-oncology type fellowship.

my main question to those who are familiar with the process – is it out of the question to NOT do a ~2 year research fellowship during a general surgery residency and still be a good oncology fellowship applicant? i'll have 4 years of solid cancer-focused work from my PhD with associated papers and presentations. as you all seem to be in the midst of these applications/interviewers, this seems like a great group to ask.

thanks!

Two years of dedicated research during residency is certainly not needed to obtain a breast oncology fellowship.

However, most solid applicants for surgical oncology fellowships have these 2 years under their belt. That being said, I'm not sure how being a mudphud factors in, and I know of 2 surgical oncologists who did not spend time in the lab, and I know one current applicant without lab time who seemed to get a lot of interviews, FWIW.

My advice may be generic, but I would do your 3rd year clerkships and see which specialty you find the most appealing prior to laying out your long-term plans.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my interviews thus far, I've not run across anyone who has an interview with Baylor Dallas. I find that so strange, as I've run across many applicants thus far.
Anybody have any input?

in that vein, did anyone schedule an interview at Grant or Wash U?

Deep into the inverview season for surgical breast oncology fellowships, does anyone know where you find information on the applicant pool? Just wondering how many applicants there are this year going through the match. Is that information available, or do you have to wait until the match to find out those results?

By the activity on this thread, not many of them frequent SDN...

Thanks,
flyingsutures

Baylor has offered interviews to 16 candidates. Six candidates interviewed on their first interview day and the remaining 10 are interviewing on Thursday.

Deep into the inverview season for surgical breast oncology fellowships, does anyone know where you find information on the applicant pool? Just wondering how many applicants there are this year going through the match. Is that information available, or do you have to wait until the match to find out those results?

By the activity on this thread, not many of them frequent SDN...

Thanks,
flyingsutures
This is a question I frequently ask during the interview trail. One lesser-known program had roughly 80 applicants and that seems high since it is neither Mayo, Cleveland, nor Wash U. I assume the majority of applicants applied to ALL or 80-90% of the programs so it's safe to say there are at least 90-100 applicants this year.

in that vein, did anyone schedule an interview at Grant or Wash U?
The fellowship position at Wash U was filled by an internal candidate. They decided not to proceed with the match process this year.

This is a question I frequently ask during the interview trail. One lesser-known program had roughly 80 applicants and that seems high since it is neither Mayo, Cleveland, nor Wash U. I assume the majority of applicants applied to ALL or 80-90% of the programs so it's safe to say there are at least 90-100 applicants this year.

Are you implying that these are the premiere Breast Fellowships?

I'm not implying that at all. Those were just the first three that came to mind. I can list at least 10-12 premiere programs. It really depends on what the candidate is looking for (i.e. quality of the Attendings, facilities, location).

I'm not implying that at all. Those were just the first three that came to mind. I can list at least 10-12 premiere programs. It really depends on what the candidate is looking for (i.e. quality of the Attendings, facilities, location).

I'm sorry, but can you guys please place them into tiers for me? Top tier, middle tier, etc. While I appreciate the "premiere" label, I would prefer you to list out the Top 10 programs, notice that Top is capitalized.

Also, I believe it is perfectly acceptable to have 12-15 programs in the top 10, as long as it is needed to include whichever programs I am familiar with.

I'm not implying that at all. Those were just the first three that came to mind.

Fair enough, although when you state it as, "I can't believe they got that many applicants, after all it isn't program X, Y or Z", it sounds as it you are implying those programs are the top ones. My misunderstanding.

I can list at least 10-12 premiere programs. It really depends on what the candidate is looking for (i.e. quality of the Attendings, facilities, location).

That seems pretty high. There are only 32 SSO approved breast fellowships. Perhaps I define premiere differently, but it generally wouldn't include 1/3 of the programs.

So is there just something inherently WRONG with listing the programs AND the tier that they would fall within? If I knew, I'd surely list them. That's information I've looked and looked for...Can't find it.

Just trying to get some information to try to make decisions here.

True, I'm going to make my decision based on location, family needs, facilities...etc. But at the end of the day when I'm ranking programs, I'm going to get past my top picks and drop to the "I'll go anywhere picks." That's when I'd like to know how they're ranked. If I'm not going to go to my top picks, I might as well go to a program that is well-respected within the circles so that I can easily find a job. If that's wrong, that's just wrong.

Sorry, but I surely would have thought that Cleveland Clinic, Mayo and Wash U would be in the top tier. My mistake?

Last edited:
So, Winged Scapula, are you implying that Mayo, Cleveland Clinic and Wash U are not premier programs? Really value your opinion. Just curious here. Really curious.

About Baylor. I've HEARD that they have a candidate from within, and that's why they're interviewing so few applicants. Who knows. You can hear anything.

Last edited:
The problem with tiers for residency and fellowship programs is that they are so fluid.

What markers are YOU using to rank the programs? Not everyone has the same goals, and not all programs provide the same experience. Therefore, what might be "premiere" for one candidate might be totally undesirable for another. Someone who wants to be successful in PP may not want to train at MSK, for example.

I know who the heavy hitters are in the Breast Fellowship world, and I know who are reputed to provide good training, and who are reputed to provide a good name on a certificate. And yes, I am implying that at least one of the 3 listed as "premiere" programs is not generally regarded as such for Breast fellowship training.

The problem with tiers for residency and fellowship programs is that they are so fluid.

What markers are YOU using to rank the programs? Not everyone has the same goals, and not all programs provide the same experience. Therefore, what might be "premiere" for one candidate might be totally undesirable for another. Someone who wants to be successful in PP may not want to train at MSK, for example.

I know who the heavy hitters are in the Breast Fellowship world, and I know who are reputed to provide good training, and who are reputed to provide a good name on a certificate. And yes, I am implying that at least one of the 3 listed as "premiere" programs is not generally regarded as such for Breast fellowship training.

It looks like you have information that many of us in this forum are interested in. I know you've been asking questions from each of us and it's only fair that you provide what you know. This is a forum so the "open" discussion is greatly appreciated. Which programs do you believe to be the "premier" programs. You are the Attending so I'd value your opinion over current candidates.

It looks like you have information that many of us in this forum are interested in. I know you've been asking questions from each of us and it's only fair that you provide what you know. This is a forum so the "open" discussion is greatly appreciated. Which programs do you believe to be the "premier" programs. You are the Attending so I'd value your opinion over current candidates.

Fair enough and open discussion *is* encouraged.

However, my identity is fairly well known and as such, open criticism of programs would not benefit me professionally.

But as a former member of the SSO Educational Committee and Fellowship Liaison, I can tell you that following hold true:

1) the biggest names in GS are not always the best programs for fellowships;
2) the biggest names in Cancer Care are not always the best fellowship programs for those looking for a successful private practice;
3) some of the best known breast surgeons in the US (in terms of the lecture circuit, book chapters, etc.) are in private community practices/programs

In terms of overall experience, I would rate the following as some of the better regarded breast fellowships in the US:

USC
John Wayne
Moffitt
Beaumont
MDA
Mayo

I'm happy for those who matched in breast oncology, what was the match rate this year?

is the SSO have an embargo on accepting new programs in the accrediation? I thought they did have a few years ago that they wouldn't accept any new programs. If so, is that something keeping some programs out? I mean, Yale isn't SSO. Is that cause its lacking, or just cause it missed out?

is the SSO have an embargo on accepting new programs in the accrediation? I thought they did have a few years ago that they wouldn't accept any new programs. If so, is that something keeping some programs out? I mean, Yale isn't SSO. Is that cause its lacking, or just cause it missed out?

Yes, they have had an embargo for approximately 4 years now. They have recently started accepting applications for new programs but as seen here, it will take up to a year for site visits and more for program review.

I can't comment on Yale per se, but the fellowship growth was rapid in a short period of time which led to the embargo, although there still aren't enough positions for everyone who wants them.

The SSO results have been up since last Thursday or Friday. Congratulations to everyone who matched! Such an exciting step. Finally.

Hi all,

I am currently a pgy-2 in general surgery at a university hospital based program. I am thinking strongly about breast surgery for my fellowship. I am debating whether or not to take 2 years in the lab starting in July to strengthen my resume. There has not been a resident interested in breast at my program in some time so no one has really been able to tell me with any certainty how competitive the match has become. Is bench research becoming the norm for applicants, or would this help me stand out? Or is it not necessary at all if I have a handful of clinical papers and good absite scores?

Thanks in advance for your advice. :)

Hi all,

I am currently a pgy-2 in general surgery at a university hospital based program. I am thinking strongly about breast surgery for my fellowship. I am debating whether or not to take 2 years in the lab starting in July to strengthen my resume. There has not been a resident interested in breast at my program in some time so no one has really been able to tell me with any certainty how competitive the match has become. Is bench research becoming the norm for applicants, or would this help me stand out? Or is it not necessary at all if I have a handful of clinical papers and good absite scores?

Thanks in advance for your advice. :)

Not necessary.

Even at the most academic of the programs, clinical research is much more valued, as is good LORs (breast fellowships are looking for certain personalities) and decent ABSITE scores. They have gotten more competitive in the sense that there are more applicants then positions, but it has not reached the level of other specialties or where bench research is needed.

Take the time in the lab if you wish, but it is not needed for breast fellowships at this time.

do you feel you need lab time for colorectal? I was interested in that fellowship. I was told it is now considered 3rd or 4th hardest fellowship to get into

I was told it is now considered 3rd or 4th hardest fellowship to get into

Actually, colorectal is most associated with number two.

The only 2 fellowships that require research are Peds and Surg Onc.

In all other specialties, research is not mandatory, but many specialties will look favorably on such an endeavor. For colorectal, research/pubs are important at the big academic centers, and less important at the smaller community programs.

Actually, colorectal is most associated with number two.
:laugh:
The only 2 fellowships that require research are Peds and Surg Onc.

I would argue that research and/or connections are vitally important when applying to Plastics, as well. All the other fields, you're right, not as much.

:laugh:

I would argue that research and/or connections are vitally important when applying to Plastics, as well. All the other fields, you're right, not as much.

Maybe, but certain community programs in Kansas match people into plastics all the time, and they never have connections or research years.

I'm glad someone liked my poo poo humor....

Hello,

I am a resident from Germany and am thinking of doing (or trying to do) a breast fellowship in the USA. I have some breast experience (imaging, biopsy, surgery, onc tx) as I have worked one year in a breast center during my training. I am looking for a program that focuses more on the surgical part, including reconstruction, but also a "name" that would bring me advantages when returning back to Europe. Do EUs have to go through the steps? I was told that for a fellowship there may be exemption. Thank you for your feedback.