Breed-specific Diseases/genetic disorders/etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkpuppy9

Tired DVM
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! With finals happening or coming up, I thought I'd start what might be a fun thread. :D

In a class I took this semester, we very briefly discussed two breed-specific nutrition-related disorders: Bedlingtons and Dobermans accumulating copper in the liver, and Malamutes experiencing poor zinc absorption. The professor wasn't able to further explain the hows/whys when I asked, can anyone tell me more?

I think it'd be a nice distraction to brainstorm and post any other breed/species/anything-specific disease that you guys know about, and an explanation of how/why it happens if you are able so we can all learn about it!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
German shepherd: every disease ever.
Labs: see above.

In vet med, sometimes we just don't know how/why, and sometimes we just don't focus on it because there are SO many other things we have to know about other species. This is usually where the pathologist comes in.

Anyways, I will be productive.
Dobermans: dilated cardiomyopathy-genetic
Persians: hypetrophic cardiomyopathy-genetic
Boxers: boxer cardiomyopathy- genetic

can you tell I just took a cardio exam? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If only someone would pay me $1 for each one I can think of off the top of my head, I'd be a rich woman :p

My fav is the craniofacial defects in burmese kitties. Mate an apple head to an apple head, and out comes a f***ed up chewbacca. Burmese kitties get lots of diabetes too, but they be my favorite breed of kittehs.

Common breeds I will never acquire willingly because their predispositions to certain things are so bad:

Beagles and Weiners - disk disease
Boxers, labs, rotties, goldens - the big C plus a bunch of others
Giant breeds - Ortho probs plus others. I never want to manage a downed giant breed at home. Plus, I can't afford atopica or a lot of other drugs when they're this big. Even if they're lucky enough to be overall healthy, they tend to die so young. Nopes.
Cavaliers - endocardiosis, what a heartbreak.
Persians - polycystic kidney disease being a big one, and probs associated with being squishy
Maine coons - HCM though really, it's mostly because I don't like big cats.
Bulldogs - really... they're walking nightmares. Add on pugs too. I wouldn't be able to stand their noises.
Ferrets - they always die of some sort of endocrine issue. no thanks.

I think that's about it for my absolute no list. But who am I kidding. I doubt I will ever buy a pure breed dog/cat from a breeder. I will likely have a bunch of random dogs/cats of unknown origin from doing ER/shelter work. And if someone brought me a wretched sad English Bulldog and asked me to rehome it, I would probably keep it.

Last edited:
For my senior capstone course, I researched the MDR1 gene in herding dog breeds that causes ivermectin sensitivity. That was pretty interesting.

Syringomyelia in CKC spaniels...worst thing ever....

Also Brachiocephalic Airway Obstruction Syndrome in the brachiocephalics.

We were put through a couple videos on purebreds, dog show breeders and the kennel club. I'll probably always own a rescued mutt. :)

For my senior capstone course, I researched the MDR1 gene in herding dog breeds that causes ivermectin sensitivity. That was pretty interesting.
There's a pretty good paper on that by K. Mealy that I had to read for my MCB course this block. Definitely an interesting topic.

Oh, and just to contribute, Shar-Peis are prone to renal amyloidosis as a result of Shar-Pei Fever.

This is an area of interest of mine so for brevity's sake I am not going to list stuff but every breed has things they're predisposed to, so buying a purebred dog is basically just a choose your poison type of thing IMO.

Stuff like BAOS in brachycephalics and IVDD in chondrodystrophic dogs are pretty much due to defining characteristics of the breeds, they aren't really "genetic disorders" per se.

There's a pretty good paper on that by K. Mealy that I had to read for my MCB course this block. Definitely an interesting topic.

I have about thirty sources for this capstone course and all of them either have her as an author or cite her in other research. lol. She seems to be the end all be all as far as this defect goes. One of my professors said I have a lot of author bias towards her in my paper. Not my fault that she's done a lot of the current research that I could find.

Like nyanko said, every breed is predisposed to something. I think these are interesting though.
Dalmations: Hyperuricosuria, deafness
Doberman:Von Willebrand's disease
Golden Retriever: Muscular dystrophy
Australian Shepherd: Double merle
Horses:
Arabians: SCID, Cerebellar abiotrophy, Lavender foal syndrome
Paints: Lethal white
Quarter horses: HYPP, HERDA, PSSM
Goats (I like goats):
Nubians: G6S

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyways, I will be productive.
Dobermans: dilated cardiomyopathy-genetic
Persians: hypetrophic cardiomyopathy-genetic
Boxers: boxer cardiomyopathy- genetic

can you tell I just took a cardio exam? :)

We were discussing boxer cardiomyopathy yesterday and the professor stated that boxers are very prone to syncope.... This is how he stated it: “Boxers faint all the time. Young boxers faint because of vasovagal syncope...that's like a Jane Austen kind of faint: “Oh Mr. Darcy! *swoons* Only in their case it's more “Oh, the postman!" *swoons*"

Reactions: 7 users
Protein-losing enteropathy and protein-losing nephropathy in Soft-Coated Wheaten Terriers

Since goldens are what I know a lot about- and for breeding purposes, too, they should be cleared by OFA for hip/elbow dysplasia (no big shocker there). SAS (subaortic stensosis) can be a problem if hearts aren't checked by a cardiologist... nothing more painful that hearing stories of young goldens just dropping dead while playing in the yard. Also, eyes checked yearly by an opthalmologist- PU (Pigmentary Uveitis) has become an increasing problem in the breed and could eventually lead to blindness if not found early and started with some kind of medication. My golden, actually, though he came from clear parents, has just been diagnosed with juvenile cataracts (missed until I went and got his CERF eye exam). There are a few genetic tests out there people are starting to test for. The one I know the most about is Icthyosis- a recessive skin disorder that causes severe flakiness. I can hopefully edit later with the other two...

I have about thirty sources for this capstone course and all of them either have her as an author or cite her in other research. lol. She seems to be the end all be all as far as this defect goes. One of my professors said I have a lot of author bias towards her in my paper. Not my fault that she's done a lot of the current research that I could find.
Woah, really? That's awesome! Good to know as finals are coming up.

There are also cattle breeds with ivermectin sensitivity too. I just found that interesting.
Really? :( I thought I lucked out with my heeler. They seem to have far less genetic dispositions than most other purebred dogs.

Hey everyone! With finals happening or coming up, I thought I'd start what might be a fun thread. :D

In a class I took this semester, we very briefly discussed two breed-specific nutrition-related disorders: Bedlingtons and Dobermans accumulating copper in the liver, and Malamutes experiencing poor zinc absoprtion. The professor wasn't able to further explain the hows/whys when I asked, can anyone tell me more?

I think it'd be a nice distraction to brainstorm and post any other breed/species/anything-specific disease that you guys know about, and an explanation of how/why it happens if you are able so we can all learn about it!

German shepherd: every disease ever.
Labs: see above.

In vet med, sometimes we just don't know how/why, and sometimes we just don't focus on it because there are SO many other things we have to know about other species. This is usually where the pathologist comes in.

:=|:-):

The reason copper accumulates in Bedlingtons is due to a deletion within the MURR1 gene which leads to defective copper excretion by hepatocytes into the bile. The lysozymes, which usually get rid of unnecessary or toxic cellular debris, become saturated leading to copper accumulation in the nucleus, damage to the DNA, and cell death via apoptosis. The copper also causes cell damage through free radical formation and oxidation as the frosting on the cake.

With Dobermans it is more often associated with chronic hepatitis (a myriad of causes) leading to metabolic defects within the cells and poor excretion again. This condition has actually been reported in a lot of breeds but isn't as "classic". There are a few genetic metabolic defects too in Dobies, I believe, but I'd have to look them up.

For zinc, in terms of hereditary malabsorption, a cysteine-rich intestinal protein (CRIP - I remember that because it made me laugh) has been implicated as the defective enzyme but I don't think it has been proven. Zinc regulates a lot of enzymes and coenzymes involved in RNA and DNA repair and maintenance and therefore produces defects in skin keratinization (so you get the scaly ucky skin). Goats also have an inherited absoprtion/metabolism of zinc condition and have a similar dermatosis to the Arctic breeds of dog, fyi!

Pathology is like vet school on steroids. Not only do you have to know it about every species, you need to know what's happening on a cellular level too ;)

At least I don't need to remember how to do surgery anymore, though :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Worst thing ever? That's not even the worst thing that Cavaliers get...

It's the worst in the more progressed cases that I know about from the limited exposure I've had thus far so :shrug:. Feel free to add in as a correction.

@pinkpuppy9, if you are interested in this stuff, you should start going to grand necropsy rounds at DCPAH. I know PVMA says you need a white coat and a name tag, but you can just use one of the white coats at DCPAH (and you can probably just make your own name tag, although I never wear one). I am usually there at every meeting, but won't be during the summer. PM me if you are interested and I'l give you more details.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. Convert them all to the dark side. Yeeessssssss......

tumblr_mcubiuak4g1qb16n2.gif

Reactions: 4 users
Woah, really? That's awesome! Good to know as finals are coming up.

Really? :( I thought I lucked out with my heeler. They seem to have far less genetic dispositions than most other purebred dogs.

If you want all the titles and stuff, you can pm me and I'll send you my works cited from my paper. The list of breeds that have confirmed ivermectin because of the same four base pair deletion are: collies, shetland sheepdogs, australian shepherds, border collies, old english sheepdogs, miniature australian shepherds, longhaird whippets, mcnabs, silken windhound, german shepherd (only in the US, though possibly because white swiss shepherds are not recognized as a separate breed here, but they are in Germany), english shepherd, and the waller. There may be a few others, though, that have lower numbers that I didn't find.

Everyone talking about ivermectin toxicity - remember that the mdr1 mutation does affect the distribution of other drugs as well: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-vcpl/drugs.aspx

And border collies actually have a lower reported frequency than the mixed breed population: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/breeds.aspx

The mdr1 mutation affects the p-glycoprotein, which has a huge substrate number. I just focused on ivermectin for my senior capstone paper and presentation. I had to be more specific than going over a lot of the substrates.

and at the doses used for hw prevention, its a problem breeders overstate. for demodex treatment probably better to use alternatives though

Heartworm prevention is fine in dogs with the mutation. The toxic level for homozygous mutants .10 mg/kg while the heartworm preventatives are .006 mg/kg per month. Heterozygous mutants can tolerate levels a little higher, according to the papers I've found.

As far as demodex, I only found one study before I had to really get to writing my paper. In that study, the heterozygous mutant did not suffer any neurotoxic effects from the dipping while the homozygous mutants started to experience effects 1.5 mg/kg/day.

Night blindness in appaloosas that are homozygous for the LP spotting pattern gene.

I don't know why I know this.

Reactions: 1 users
The mdr1 mutation affects the p-glycoprotein, which has a huge substrate number. I just focused on ivermectin for my senior capstone paper and presentation. I had to be more specific than going over a lot of the substrates.

Yes, I am aware. But I think that applying that to clinical practice, when people think about the mutation and purebred dogs that may have it, it's important to be aware of the other drugs as well.

As far as demodex, I only found one study before I had to really get to writing my paper. In that study, the heterozygous mutant did not suffer any neurotoxic effects from the dipping while the homozygous mutants started to experience effects 1.5 mg/kg/day.

Oral ivermectin is a treatment used for demodex at higher doses than the heartworm preventative dose, and I think that's what dyachei was referring to, rather than topical (dipping).

Yes, I am aware. But I think that applying that to clinical practice, when people think about the mutation and purebred dogs that may have it, it's important to be aware of the other drugs as well.

Oral ivermectin is a treatment used for demodex at higher doses than the heartworm preventative dose, and I think that's what dyachei was referring to, rather than topical (dipping).
nyanko's got it exactly

Yeah, I have only seen demodex treated with oral ivermectin in dogs. I have yet to see anyone use a dip in practice.

@pinkpuppy9, if you are interested in this stuff, you should start going to grand necropsy rounds at DCPAH. I know PVMA says you need a white coat and a name tag, but you can just use one of the white coats at DCPAH (and you can probably just make your own name tag, although I never wear one). I am usually there at every meeting, but won't be during the summer. PM me if you are interested and I'l give you more details.

I have always wanted to go, but the lack of diversity in the scheduling of the rounds/every single PVMA activity has prevented me from doing so (in other words, I work every Friday). :(

I'm glad this thread's a hit! I'm learning a lot. I like to expose myself to heavy vocab too, so keep those big words comin'.

Thanks for the explanations, @WhtsThFrequency!

No prob!

@WhtsThFrequency , I love path, but I can't stomach the extra schooling. Major props to you.

Sometimes I myself wonder if I can keep stomaching it for a few more years :p I really, really love path, don't get me wrong - knowing the inner workings of all these disease on such a high level is awesome....but yeah, anywhere from 3-7 years of training AFTER vet school depending on what type of job you want is hella hard.

Love your professors, guys. Doing residency and then a fellowship/PhD after vet school can suck all the remaining fight out of you. But I really do want to teach (and do diagnostics obviously as well, but I like teaching a great deal). If that means slogging through an additional research degree so I can have enough letters after my name for stuffy old academia, so be it.

amitraz does happen regularly but it is typically easier (and safer) to use an increasing dose of ivermectin

The study I was looking at was using milbemycin oxime dipping as an alternative to using ivermectin. Sorry I wasn't clear on that. Where I'm at, we normally do dippings for demodex, so I assumed that's what you're talking about.

The study I was looking at was using milbemycin oxime dipping as an alternative to using ivermectin. Sorry I wasn't clear on that. Where I'm at, we normally do dippings for demodex, so I assumed that's what you're talking about.
The norm where I am is to do oral ivermectin. From what I understand it may be effective to use milbemycin flea topicals at 2 week intervals. not sure what happened to that research though.

:laugh: I meant cattle.. .as in moo, as in cow.
Which cattle breeds? I find that interesting too.

And my contribution:
Shiba Inu and chylothorax, weird thing, weird dog breed so it sticks in my head. Plus, while I'm not a huge fan of purebred dogs, I want a Shiba for all the wrong reasons! So freaking cute and they look like foxes! I want to snuggle the heck out of them, which I know, Shiba's aren't into. I can't help myself!

Last edited:
There's a whole text book out there for dog breeds (maybe cats, too?) and their genetic/hereditary predispositions.

amitraz does happen regularly but it is typically easier (and safer) to use an increasing dose of ivermectin

I was under the impression that amitraz was the FDA approved treatment for demodex while ivermectin (orally) worked better but treating for demodex was an off-label nonapproved use.

That is true but since ivermectin is safer for the dog and the person giving the treatment, most people go with the off label treatment (ivermectin).

Tracheal collapse in toy poodles
Tetralogy of Fallot in Keeshonds
PDAs in . . . pretty much any toy breed dog
Extrahepatic portosystemic shunts in Yorkies (A Church Lady in my hometown has one of those Yorkies. I've never met the dog, but every time I go home, I get to hear about the her indigestion in great detail. *sigh*)

And my contribution:
Shiba Inu and chylothorax, weird thing, weird dog breed so it sticks in my head. Plus, while I'm not a huge fan of purebred dogs, I want a Shiba for all the wrong reasons! So freaking cute and they look like foxes! I want to snuggle the heck out of them, which I know, Shiba's aren't into. I can't help myself!

Shiba Inu = Land Shark :nailbiting:

And my contribution:

Shibas have to be the most high-maintenance, least enjoyable dogs I have ever encountered. I know a couple of people who have them. They jump fences, destroy things, are aggressive - to other dogs, AND people - have health issues, can't be trusted, and are difficult to live with. And just to mock you for wanting one because they ARE cute, they won't let you snuggle them. Because they're jerks.

Reactions: 1 users