Brianm74....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beagle

Meet BEAGLE
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what you are studying for your masters?? I am also working on my masters. I am in a similar situation as you.....
screwed up in undergrad, graduated with a 2.9 gpa and science of 2.7 or lower???
I have not taken the DATS, but I was wondering--how do you stay motivated and even have time to study for the DATS when you have so much going on in grad school??? I always find myself swamped wtih work and no time for the dats....I am getting worried becuase it will only be a few months until I take them..

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Beagle,
I started out doing research in Immunology, but didn't really like what I was doing. So, I decided to go for my masters, knowing that dental school is my ultimate goal. I wanted to do research in something that is "dentistry" oriented. Unfortunately, there was no professor who studied that, but I did find one that studies feeding in animal models. I went to her and we decided on a project for me - I am looking at how the jaws, tongue and hyoid bone are correlated (or linked) during feeding in humans. Ten subjects are filmed using Videofluorography ingesting, chewing and swallowing different consistencies of food.
As for studying for the DAT, I pretty much studied all last summer. I am a Teachers Assistant in Biology, so I really did not have to study for Biology. However, Chemistry has always been my ultimate weakness. I used the Kaplan books and CD rom to study and I would say they really helped me study.
What are you working on in your masters program?

How did you end up doing on the DATS?
Do you think 2 months is good enough to study for the test?
My big concern is that I will not do well on the dats....anway, hope to hear from you soon
Also, where did you apply??
Thanks!
Beagle

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Beagle,
I scored 20 A and 19 PAT. I am not sure if 2 months is enough to study- it is completely up to you. Like I said, I really did not have to study Biology, so I focused primarily on the Chemistry and Organic Chemistry sections.
I applied to OHSU, CWRU, Nova, NYU, and Creighton. I only recieved an interview at NYU, though- it is next Friday. Hope this helps...

Brian
those are great scores! Was the PAT section hard for you initially when you started studying?
I hope to get your DAT scores in a few months!!!
Goodluck with your NYU interview!!!

Thanks Beagle-
I will keep you updated as far as the interview goes. As for the PAT, I just thought of them as a puzzle you are trying to figure out- made them more of a game than a nuisance. I think that helps! Good luck!