Brigham And Women's and JH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greennature

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the average stipend for fellows at Brigham And Women's Hospital and John Hopkins?

Is it enough for a family of 2?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

the stipend amount should be easy to find online. as to your question, it depends what you want/need. housing in those two cities isn't cheap though, i do know that much.

What is the average stipend for fellows at Brigham And Women's Hospital and John Hopkins?

Thanks

I believe it depends on your PGY status. If your residency was x years, you'd probably would be paid at a PGY (x+1) salary at your fellowship place. If family of 2 is just you and your spouse, then i believe it's doable. It would be a lot more difficult in Boston than in Baltimore.

my wife and i are looking in boston for a 800 sq ft condo and that comes to ~$350K, ~2400 monthly mortagage. if she weren't working, we'd be in much worse shape. on the otherhand, baltimore is much more reasonable. if city life is not important to you, then choose baltimore. i prefer boston since it is a youthful city with many things to do in and outside of boston.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe it depends on your PGY status. If your residency was x years, you'd probably would be paid at a PGY (x+1) salary at your fellowship place. If family of 2 is just you and your spouse, then i believe it's doable. It would be a lot more difficult in Boston than in Baltimore.

my wife and i are looking in boston for a 800 sq ft condo and that comes to ~$350K, ~2400 monthly mortagage. if she weren't working, we'd be in much worse shape. on the otherhand, baltimore is much more reasonable. if city life is not important to you, then choose baltimore. i prefer boston since it is a youthful city with many things to do in and outside of boston.

Damn, you can buy things in Boston proper? Or is this a suburb? I can't even think about owning til I leave San Francisco (sorry, no 1-2 hour each way commutes for me like some people do in order to own). I know some people mentioned that Baltimore is "up and coming" but I can't believe that the cost of living there even comes close to that of Boston.

Damn, you can buy things in Boston proper? Or is this a suburb? I can't even think about owning til I leave San Francisco (sorry, no 1-2 hour each way commutes for me like some people do in order to own). I know some people mentioned that Baltimore is "up and coming" but I can't believe that the cost of living there even comes close to that of Boston.

my wife and i will live in boston proper; ~3 miles/5-10 minutes to brigham. with my salary i only could qualify for $200K but with my wife that figure jumped 175%. believe me, i could not afford it if it were not for my wife.

baltimore is hella cheap compared to boston. i have a cousin who goes to hopkins and lives very comfortably on her salary which is 15% lower than brigham's.

darkside - even with the extra 10K UCSF pathology gives its residents each year to allow for the uber-high cost of living in san fran, is the idea of owning a home without major second income that unrealistic? is the idea of finding a little 1300 square foot 2-3 bedroom place within a reasonable distance of the medical center that costs less than $250K laughable? forgive me if i'm ignorant on this, but i really know little about the san fran real estate market aside from a general notion of it being a fairly high cost of living.

darkside - even with the extra 10K UCSF pathology gives its residents each year to allow for the uber-high cost of living in san fran, is the idea of owning a home without major second income that unrealistic? is the idea of finding a little 1300 square foot 2-3 bedroom place within a reasonable distance of the medical center that costs less than $250K laughable? forgive me if i'm ignorant on this, but i really know little about the san fran real estate market aside from a general notion of it being a fairly high cost of living.

Very laughable...Insanely laughable. The median home price is over 700K. I would say starter bachelor condos that consist of 1 room with no real kitchen would still hit 400K+. 3 bedroom place would easily be over a mill. And that 10K a year is taxed, you might be getting 6-7 of it. No help really at all other than to realize you are SOL.

I have never heard of a UCSF resident owning a place that wasnt backed by serious inherited wealth.

10K is salt in the ocean. To make 50K in say Idaho equal to SF, they would have to give you over a hundred grand.

Thanks

Family of 2 as you and a wife? or is a kid involved? Why isnt your spouse working if there isnt a kid? School?

I *barely* survived on my 50K year+housing allow while in training...but of course I live large.

Very laughable...Insanely laughable. The median home price is over 700K. I would say starter bachelor condos that consist of 1 room with no real kitchen would still hit 400K+. 3 bedroom place would easily be over a mill. And that 10K a year is taxed, you might be getting 6-7 of it. No help really at all other than to realize you are SOL.

I have never heard of a UCSF resident owning a place that wasnt backed by serious inherited wealth.

10K is salt in the ocean. To make 50K in say Idaho equal to SF, they would have to give you over a hundred grand.

I completeley agree with LADoc re: owning anything in the Bay Area. The one resident that I do know that owns a house, lives way out in the East Bay (about an hour w/o traffic to the medical center) and his wife is also a professional. Some smaller flats around Parnassus (the main campus) were selling for like 700-800K and those probably aren't in the greatest shape. If cost of living is important to you then look away from California for the most part (except maybe Sacramento or east of San Diego/LA, but even then you are gonna shell out big $ to buy a place). I never intended to own anything during residency, so it wasn't as big of a deal to me. And yeah, 50K/yr doesn't go that far here-- I'll have enough to pay rent, make my car payment, buy a pass for Squaw next season, and get drunk 4-5 times per month, which is all I really want anyway. My GF will be pulling in another 45K/yr so that brings our combined income up to near poverty level for San Francisco :laugh:

Villin, you seem to be your wife's good boy :laugh:

I don't know about the stipend at Hopkins but at Brigham, when I was a first year, my yearly income was $47000. That went up to a little more than $48,000 this year and it will probably go up a bit for the incoming first years.

Really? Boston "Boston" for $350k? Like Back Bay, Beacon Hill?
Or JP, Allston, Brighton? or worse the Combat Zone?

Lots of stuff is passed off as "Boston" but is not really what you should think of as Boston.
boston_n_map.jpg

Really? Boston "Boston" for $350k? Like Back Bay, Beacon Hill?
Or JP, Allston, Brighton? or worse the Combat Zone?

Lots of stuff is passed off as "Boston" but is not really what you should think of as Boston.
boston_n_map.jpg

well according to my real estate agent, the condos were labelled JP (Boston). so i was under the impression it was boston. i guess i'm wrong. oh well...still hella expensive.

what's the combat zone? dorchester, south boston?

Members don't see this ad :)
well according to my real estate agent, the condos were labelled JP (Boston). so i was under the impression it was boston. i guess i'm wrong. oh well...still hella expensive.

what's the combat zone? dorchester, south boston?

I don't think of JP as Boston (but I guess it is in Boston, but not 'boston proper in my book)
Combat zone is an old term, but its South End and South Boston...roughly

Is it Green line, orange line or not close to either T? Bus?

I don't think of JP as Boston (but I guess it is in Boston, but not 'boston proper in my book)
Combat zone is an old term, but its South End and South Boston...roughly

Is it Green line, orange line or not close to either T? Bus?

orange

JP is within the Boston city limits but is a way from the hospital. Probably 20 minutes most days in the early morning to the BW.

It's definitely been gentrified and the old beat up places that are left are selling for pretty big bucks, as yuppies convert them into refurbed, nice joints. Pretty nice neighborhood compared to 15 years ago, though.

As for whether or not Boston is "doable" with a family, I'm heading to Cleveland (my wife's family is there), in part because our mortgage in Boston is too big to support my returning to residency. Despite liking the BW (although I don't mean to imply I liked it better than the CCF, just liked it as well and we are already here - so it would be logistically easy to stay local), I just couldn't swing the $$ part with three kids and my salary going from Industry scale (cushy BANK) to Scut-monkey (my official title at the Cleveland Clinic) scale.

Although it's a subject for another thread and has been beaten to death over time, I should also mention that the approach to training is v. different between the two programs and that had more to do with the choice, but $$ was a contributing factor at the margin.

We'll be back to Boston eventually, but can't afford it during training. btw, that reasoning (though sound to me) really surprised some of the Boston programs! :laugh:

IMO, money shouldn't be the deciding factor if you have a strong preference for a program (as there are always loans available - tough medicine, but workable). Good luck.

P

<start thread hijacking> btw, for those who remember me from the wayback (Yaah?), I'm leaving business (again) and returning to medicine (again). Decided that I am a pathologist after all (needed a 12 step program to figure it out - "Hi, I'm Primate and I'm a Pathologist." Crowd: "Hi Primate"). Good to be back among y'all. <end thread hijacking> :D
P

JP is within the Boston city limits but is a way from the hospital. Probably 20 minutes most days in the early morning to the BW.
Hmm...it took me 5 minutes to drive into work this morning :D

Hmm...it took me 5 minutes to drive into work this morning :D

REALLY?!?! Door to door?!?!?

What can I say, but last time I drove from Needham to BW (for interviews - :eek: ) it was about 45-50 minutes, and I was past JP in about 15. Do you have some Jedi commuting move? I admit that I took the easy - 128 to 9 pretty much all the way in - but prehaps not fastest (?) way in.

At any rate, good on ya', as I'm SO over the commuting thing (getting from Needham to Cambridge and back every day was a total drag). I frankly quite like JP...

And THANKS for the welcome back! :D

P

Sure at 5 am :smuggrin:.

Isn't BW pretty close to JP? MGH would be a bit longer..

BWH is close to JP...today was a good day...no red lights...minimal traffic at 8 am.

Primate, technically 7 minutes from door to door. 5 minutes from getting into my car (parked less than a block from my house) and getting into the parking garage.