Bringing your wife, kid, and dogs along

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boges

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get some feedback. I'm wondering if anyone has brought their wife, kid(s), and dog(s) with them to AUC and perhaps any details or advice if you've made the adventure.

With out going into too many details, let's just say that I'm an older applicant at 39, I can appreciate that fact that it's going to be a big adjustment for everyone. I also understand that life on an island is very different, etc., etc. but it's an option I am seriously considering and would really appreciate any comments.

Thank you for any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Since you are older, your wife may have a career. Careers usually have certiciations that are almost impossible to transfer to the isles. Also, the islands like to give those types of jobs to the locals. It may be better financially to leave your wife. Now if she works at burger king or something, bring her. As far as your kids, it depends on their age. I would check into the education options for your kids. Having a pet just means you have limited and more expensive living options. I don't go to AUC, but these are things I expect from moving to a 3rd world country. Good luck!

At SGU, SOs who are RNs or EMTs can get jobs with the University working in the clinic and teaching CPR courses. There may be other positions available as well, but I am not sure.

What NavyLabTech says is generally correct in Grenada - jobs are given to locals first before given to foreigners.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot you were asking specifically about AUC. You may want to try AUC's valuemd forum for some more responses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input.

Here's a few more details from me:

•I forgot to mention that SGU is an option also. So feedback regarding Grenada is wonderful too.

•My wife will be changing careers—she's going to become a homemaker and full-time mom. She won't be looking for employment.

•My punk is only 2 years old so no school for him.

•My dogs used to be my kids but now they're just my dogs. Even though, they are part of the family. I'm sure you're right regarding living options but if we go, they have to come.

Thanks again.

Since you are older, your wife may have a career. Careers usually have certiciations that are almost impossible to transfer to the isles. Also, the islands like to give those types of jobs to the locals. It may be better financially to leave your wife. Now if she works at burger king or something, bring her. As far as your kids, it depends on their age. I would check into the education options for your kids. Having a pet just means you have limited and more expensive living options. I don't go to AUC, but these are things I expect from moving to a 3rd world country. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for your input.

Here's a few more details from me:

•I forgot to mention that SGU is an option also. So feedback regarding Grenada is wonderful too.

•My wife will be changing careers—she's going to become a homemaker and full-time mom. She won't be looking for employment.

•My punk is only 2 years old so no school for him.

•My dogs used to be my kids but now they're just my dogs. Even though, they are part of the family. I'm sure you're right regarding living options but if we go, they have to come.

Thanks again.

Well, in that case...

A lot of people bring their animals down. One student even has a St. Bernard here, which he leaves in his apartment during the day with the A/C on and walks during the evening. If you are bringing your dogs, do not fly through Barbados; I have heard that if anything is wrong with your paperwork, they will euthanize on the spot. You cannot have animals or kids and live on campus, so you would have to find an apartment off campus. If you have been accepted or when you are accepted, you will get access to MySGU, which has a Post section where apartments are listed.

For your wife - if she's not planning to work, that makes things easier. However, like I said, there are opportunities with the school and even with the community to make a few bucks. Furthermore, there is a Significant Others organization which organizes things like bake sales and generally helps non-students adjust. SOs also participate in things like health fairs and other volunteer events.

Your kid - I'm not really sure what vaccinable diseases are endemic to Grenada. You can call the school and ask what shots they recommend for small children. There are a number of small children here (I've seen them at the bake sales) so your kid won't be the only one.

On ValueMD, you might get some better feedback on this topic. I know that there are several members who are in your same position (though they may not have dogs). Good luck.

Well, in that case...

A lot of people bring their animals down. One student even has a St. Bernard here, which he leaves in his apartment during the day with the A/C on and walks during the evening. If you are bringing your dogs, do not fly through Barbados; I have heard that if anything is wrong with your paperwork, they will euthanize on the spot. You cannot have animals or kids and live on campus, so you would have to find an apartment off campus. If you have been accepted or when you are accepted, you will get access to MySGU, which has a Post section where apartments are listed.

For your wife - if she's not planning to work, that makes things easier. However, like I said, there are opportunities with the school and even with the community to make a few bucks. Furthermore, there is a Significant Others organization which organizes things like bake sales and generally helps non-students adjust. SOs also participate in things like health fairs and other volunteer events.

Your kid - I'm not really sure what vaccinable diseases are endemic to Grenada. You can call the school and ask what shots they recommend for small children. There are a number of small children here (I've seen them at the bake sales) so your kid won't be the only one.

On ValueMD, you might get some better feedback on this topic. I know that there are several members who are in your same position (though they may not have dogs). Good luck.

digitalising- Much obliged.

Are you serious???????????? Euthanize on the spot?????? I am so scared now to bring my dog down! First of all she is my baby and second, she is quite the expensive breed....

Are you serious???????????? Euthanize on the spot?????? I am so scared now to bring my dog down! First of all she is my baby and second, she is quite the expensive breed....

Then don't go through Barbados.