bromination of alkenes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oh_Gee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 35
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
so if there was just one alkene, there would be no carbocation intermediate?

My alkene chemistry is not that great since I didn't study it (it's not on the MCAT).

The reaction you pulled up (addition of two Br molecules) appears NOT to involve carbocations. However, note that the conjugated diene reactions (the one I showed you) is an addition of ONE hydrogen and ONE halogen (not TWO halogens).

If you want to do a similar reaction with just a single alkene (that is, adding H and a Br), you can have mechanisms involving carbocations. For example, see: http://www.masterorganicchemistry.com/reaction-guide/addition-of-hbr-to-alkenes/

I would just focus on the conjugated diene reactions as these appear to be MCAT-testable whereas the other stuff is not.

Members don't see this ad :)
My alkene chemistry is not that great since I didn't study it (it's not on the MCAT).

The reaction you pulled up (addition of two Br molecules) appears NOT to involve carbocations. However, note that the conjugated diene reactions (the one I showed you) is an addition of ONE hydrogen and ONE halogen (not TWO halogens).

If you want to do a similar reaction with just a single alkene (that is, adding H and a Br), you can have mechanisms involving carbocations. For example, see: http://www.masterorganicchemistry.com/reaction-guide/addition-of-hbr-to-alkenes/

I would just focus on the conjugated diene reactions as these appear to be MCAT-testable whereas the other stuff is not.
oh wow totes forgot to check the BS topics list i downloaded. i can't find alkenes on it so I guess you're right but i don't see conjugated dienes either...

DAMN YOU GS FOR WASTING MY TIME

oh wow totes forgot to check the BS topics list i downloaded. i can't find alkenes on it so I guess you're right but i don't see conjugated dienes either...

DAMN YOU GS FOR WASTING MY TIME

lol maybe you missed it but I said above that you should still focus on conjugated dienes. I think these are testable (even though they involve alkenes). I'd just know it to be sure. I know it is in TBR OChem and the TBR people didn't keep that section in there for nothing.