Brooklyn College or City College for MHC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AuntyDee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been accepted to Brooklyn College's and City College's masters programs in Mental Health Counseling and am wondering if anyone has information on which program is better. Brooklyn seems to offer more diverse training (CBT, psychodynamic, etc), while it seems that City focuses primarily on psychodynamic, but I could be wrong. Is that true, and if so, could that be problematic?

Also, I've noticed that some programs require students to do unpaid work in their counseling centers before actual internship placements (they call these practicums, which seem to require doing intakes mostly). City doesn't do this; they only require the field placements. Is the lack of "practicum" experience detrimental, or is it mostly just a benefit to the schools (having unpaid workers helping out)?

Thanks so much for any info!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about your specific programs but Practicum (~ 100 hours) is very common in Mental Health Counseling programs and unpaid practicum and internships is the norm (you're getting credits). Some people do their Practicum in the same place as their internship, some don't. I personally would be more interested in a more well-rounded program b/c it would better prepare you for practice.

I don't know about your specific programs but Practicum (~ 100 hours) is very common in Mental Health Counseling programs and unpaid practicum and internships is the norm (you're getting credits). Some people do their Practicum in the same place as their internship, some don't. I personally would be more interested in a more well-rounded program b/c it would better prepare you for practice.

Thanks for responding. It does seem strange that city only requires the 6 credit field placement while other programs require more. Will that be a detriment, or will it not really matter since I'll graduate with the same degree regardless?

I am worried about the primary focus on psychodynamic therapy. Hopefully they do also include other approaches...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for responding. It does seem strange that city only requires the 6 credit field placement while other programs require more. Will that be a detriment, or will it not really matter since I'll graduate with the same degree regardless?

I am worried about the primary focus on psychodynamic therapy. Hopefully they do also include other approaches...

I'd say contact the school/look at the page/examine the approaches of the faculty. And, if they seem to be primarily psychdynamic, and that isn't your cup of tea, a different school might be a good choice.

I'd say contact the school/look at the page/examine the approaches of the faculty. And, if they seem to be primarily psychdynamic, and that isn't your cup of tea, a different school might be a good choice.

I actually do really like psychodynamic approaches, but I'm thinking it'll be important to gain exposure to some others as well...

If that's the case, then yes, I think your first approach was good. Look at the faculty, and the curriculum (many have a course catalog available online) and see what the options are.

I hope you read this...I was thinking about going to brooklyn college for the same degree. Can you tell me how the program is? Is it hard or difficult to get around. How is the faculty? How was the interview process was it difficult?

I am not sure how far into the process that you have gotten. I have an interview with them next week. The only information I have so far is they do group interviews. Does anyone have any tips on group interviews?

I am not sure how far into the process that you have gotten. I have an interview with them next week. The only information I have so far is they do group interviews. Does anyone have any tips on group interviews?

how did the group interview go?

how was it set- up?

Brooklyn seems to offer more diverse training (CBT, psychodynamic, etc), while it seems that City focuses primarily on psychodynamic

This is interesting. I am in CACREP accredit program and they do not provide ANY theoretical orientation for us. You take two courses of overview of different theories, but no theory is taught in depth. On one hand this is good because you do not have to study in depth something that you do not like, and on the other hand you graduate without any theoretical orientation, which seems strange to me. I asked them about it and they told me the way to learn about your own orientation is by taking classes in addition to the program after you graduate. I find it ironic that we spend 3 years in school, pay thousands of dollars in tuition and have to go and leran the most important thing on our own.