Brown interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Chankovsky

has brown offered any interviews yet for their regular M.D. program for out of staters.

Members don't see this ad.

Not that I know of. I know that they only interview in February and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that we could expect to get invites in December (but don't quote me on that).

Members don't see this ad :)
cammy1313 said:
Not that I know of. I know that they only interview in February and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that we could expect to get invites in December (but don't quote me on that).

They sent out an e-mail saying that they will invite people for interviews. I think invites should be coming in anytime from now to December. I think I erased the e-mail so I'm not 100% sure.

Brown Medical School said:
10/7/04
Dear Applicant:
We are pleased to acknowledge receipt of your application for admission to Brown Medical School for the 2004-2005 year. Listed below is an update regarding the status of your application as of this date: 10/7/04

Your Admission Route:

__X__ Standard MD Admission
_____ Postbaccalaureate Admission (only for current post-baccalaureate students at Bryn Mawr College, Goucher College or Columbia University)
_____ Brown Avenue Admission (current Brown students or Brown University graduates)
_____ MD/PhD Admission

Status of Your Application: First Notice

__X__ Your application is complete. Your file now will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee for an interview decision. Interview notifications will be issued on or before the following dates

Timing for Interview Notifications

MD/PhD Applicants: January 1, 2005
Standard MD Applicants: February 1, 2005
Brown Avenue Applicants: March 1, 2005
Postbaccalaureate Applicants: Interviews will be held in late February/early March for all applicants.

I don't know when they'll start handing out interviews, but they'll let us know for standard MD's by 2/1/05, which seems rather late. Enh--what can you do?

Hmmm, that worries me that I never recieved an email telling me that I was complete. I called and they said I was so I suppose that's sufficient for now.

Brown is a non-rolling admissions school, not to mention that this is the first time they're even taking non-Brown applicants. In light of these things, the fact that they interview only during one month out of the year (that being February) isn't too surprising. I'm thinking chances are pretty frickin' slim of getting in there anyway so I'm just goin' with it :)

Doesn't Brown take like a HUGE majority of its class from Brown undergrad?

USCTex said:
Doesn't Brown take like a HUGE majority of its class from Brown undergrad?

The people in the 8-year continuum program, the PLME (Program in Liberal Medical Education) make up the majority of the class. However, normal pre-meds like myself who graduate from Brown would actually be competing for very few spots (like 3 or 4) reserved for Brown alum.

So bear in mind that you are not actually competing with any Brown undergrads -- the PLMEs are already in and thus out of the applicant pool and normal Brown undergrads stand a slim shot of getting in since the school wants diversity in undergrad colleges now that they've opened up the med school. I'm not sure how many places they are opening up to outside people, but those places are separate from those that they reserve for Brown alum(and not many of the pre-meds I know are applying anyway.)