Brown MMS - Applications now open!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brown Gateways MMS

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applications for our MMS '23 are open! We are a 1-year, Special Masters Program in the Alpert Medical School & our curriculum mirrors our M1 students.

For more information:
Gateways | Medical School | Brown University
@browngateways

Applications close 5/1. We require an MCAT score within the last 2 years as part of our application.

Please feel free to ask us any questions or email us directly at [email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Please don't hesitate to reach out to me If anyone has any questions from a student perspective!

Hello! Please don't hesitate to reach out to me If anyone has any questions from a student perspective!
Hi! Thanks for offering your time. I'm really interested in this program and have a couple of questions!
1. How are the advisors/faculty/staff in terms of offering support and guidance?
2. Do most students take a year after completing the MMS program before applying to medical school/what does the timeline look like for the average student?
3. Is there an official linkage/consideration/interview to any SOM?
4. Any application advice you can offer/favorite things about the program? :)

Hi! Thanks for offering your time. I'm really interested in this program and have a couple of questions!
1. How are the advisors/faculty/staff in terms of offering support and guidance?
2. Do most students take a year after completing the MMS program before applying to medical school/what does the timeline look like for the average student?
3. Is there an official linkage/consideration/interview to any SOM?
4. Any application advice you can offer/favorite things about the program? :)
Hello! I apologize for the delay in response. Here are the answers to your questions:

1. The advisors/ faculty/ staff are absolutely amazing. I mainly choose this program over other SMPs because of their support. First and foremost, the class size is approximately 30 - 40 people, thus, you get very strong interpersonal relationships with the advisors and faculty. They have helped me so much during this application cycle, and I attribute a lot of my success to their help. Their number one goal is to see you succeed and see you achieve your academic/personal goals. Personally, they have been through every step of my medical school application cycle and they did everything they could to help me find success. I really cannot emphasize enough that the advisors are incredible.

2. It really depends on your application. I know some people apply during the program and some people wait until after. This program is shown to help boost your MCAT score tremendously, therefore, some students retake the MCAT during April and apply to medical school right after the program. If you want more information regarding this, I would strongly suggest you contact the program advisors to get more insight.

3. To my knowledge, there is no formal linkage. However, several MMS students have found success in getting into Brown University's medical school. So you are definitely considered for an interview. I believe they share all the accepted stats on their website, and a lot of people get into very prestigious medical schools after their completion at MMS.

4. The best advice I can give you is that try to illustrate your genuine passion for why you want to pursue medicine and what you want to use medicine for. Play up your strengths but also acknowledge areas that need improvement.
Favorite things about the program: it's the advising and the people! I have had the privilege to meet some really great people here, and you get to experience what it’s like to be taking medical school classes at an IVY league institution.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

Hi there, thanks for offering to give us advice! Can you please speak to how the interview went for you, and any tips you have for how you prepared? Much appreciated!

Applications for our MMS '23 are open! We are a 1-year, Special Masters Program in the Alpert Medical School & our curriculum mirrors our M1 students.

For more information:
Gateways | Medical School | Brown University
@browngateways

Applications close 5/1. We require an MCAT score within the last 2 years as part of our application.

Please feel free to ask us any questions or email us directly at [email protected]
Does the MCAT score need to be sent in along with the application or can it be sent in later? I get my MCAT score back on May 10th

Has anyone heard back from the program? I applied in late February and was complete by March.
I havent heard back at all. Also applied late Feb. Can you let me know when you hear back?

I havent heard back at all. Also applied late Feb. Can you let me know when you hear back?
Hi! We review applications in batches on a rolling basis, and our admission committee meets every few weeks. You are welcome to email is at [email protected] for specific updates! Hope this helps and please let us know if we can assist in any other way!

Has anyone heard back from the program? I applied in late February and was complete by March.
Hi! We review applications in batches on a rolling basis, and our admission committee meets every few weeks. You are welcome to email is at [email protected] for specific updates! Hope this helps and please let us know if we can assist in any other way!

Does the MCAT score need to be sent in along with the application or can it be sent in later? I get my MCAT score back on May 10th
Thanks for your inquiry. You can definitely send your MCAT score in later, however we will not be able to review your file until all required components are received. In our system, your file won't be labeled as "complete" until we get that score. As long as we receive all required application materials by our deadline of May 15, your application will be reviewed and considered. My suggestion is to send an email to us at [email protected] and just document that you have a pending MCAT score that will be sent on May 10 so we have a heads up! Hope this helps!

Has anyone heard back at all yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine was submitted Early April, I have not heard back yet.

hi guys! I interviewed this week! Submitted my app end of Feb and my app was complete by 3/2 I believe. Patiently waiting for my decision now :) good luck to everyone waiting!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone! Just wanted to let you know that I got accepted this week! After the interview, they let you know the decision very quick! Beyond happy and excited to be joining this program this summer! Feel free to PM me if any questions!

Hey everyone! Just wanted to let you know that I got accepted this week! After the interview, they let you know the decision very quick! Beyond happy and excited to be joining this program this summer! Feel free to PM me if any questions!
Hi! Also accepted and most likely going to commit this week. Do you know if there is an accepted students facebook page or group chat? Looking to connect with others about housing etc

Hi! Also accepted and most likely going to commit this week. Do you know if there is an accepted students facebook page or group chat? Looking to connect with others about housing etc
Hey! Congrats on the acceptance! I can help you find some leads with housing. Also they will invite you to the Facebook group once you commit. My cohort made a GroupMe after the first day!

Hey! Congrats on the acceptance! I can help you find some leads with housing. Also they will invite you to the Facebook group once you commit. My cohort made a GroupMe after the first day!
Hi! I was trying to apply to River House and called them multiple times, but they didnt pick up. Do you know how I might be able to contact them?
Also, they did not invite me to the facebook group me. How could I find it?

Hey congrats! Cant find the facebook page :( but we should start a group chat! Also trying to find some housing

Hi! I was trying to apply to River House and called them multiple times, but they didnt pick up. Do you know how I might be able to contact them?
Also, they did not invite me to the facebook group me. How could I find it?
Hey! Riverhouse is a great place to live if you want close proximity to the medical school. Brown actually bought the apartment earlier this year, so maybe try contacting them through brown housing!

Did my interview today. Waiting for their decision. I was accepted to another program but Brown is my first choice!

EDIT: I heard back yesterday and paid my deposit today.

Last edited:
I'm desperately trying to find housing! Anybody still looking?

Finding housing in providence is harder than getting into Med school. First time seeing an entire city of apartments not picking up their phone.

Hello, I am a current student in the program graduating this spring. If anyone has any questions about the program or living in Providence, please don't hesitate to PM me.