BS in respiratory therapy

Started by khushi626
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I currently hold a BS in resp. therapy and I have gained interest in being a physician. I have looked into a post bac pre-med program at UTD and it says I have to gain admissions as a undergrad transfer student. Under transfer guidelines it says: UT Dallas does not grant credit for nonacademic course work, such as vocational, developmental or remedial studies, nor does it grant credit for prior experiential learning. Course work that is accepted for transfer credit is applicable toward satisfying requirements for a specific UT Dallas major according to the same criteria as those used for equivalent UT Dallas courses.

My question: Does my course work fall under vocational??? I am asking this because I want financial aid and they dont offer that for "non-degree seeking" students. UTD also says that if you have more than 30 credits its automatic admissions.....I do have a meeting with the advisor but I still want to know from you guys who have gone this route

any insight would be really helpful...thanks again

I was an RRT before I entered medical (and graduate school) for that matter. For AMCAS, my respiratory classes (all As) counted towards my uGPA as they were taken as part of an AAS degree from a community college. They were considered college courseworks but not applicable towards my biology degree.

I suspect that if your BS in RT is from a university level program, those classes will count towards advanced standing but will not translate into a particular degree unless they were taken outside of the respiratory therapy program. You may need to declare a major (so that you can pick up your pre-med courses) so that you can get financial aid.

I hope this helps a bit but I suspect that your meeting with your adviser will yield information that is most useful for your specific situation.