BS/MD, BS in Biomedical Engineering

Sir04

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the BS/MD Combined/Accelerated medical program track, could someone suggest - which colleges provide Biomedical Engineering as a major in BS?

Members don't see this ad.

On the BS/MD Combined/Accelerated medical program track, could someone suggest - which colleges provide Biomedical Engineering as a major in BS?

University of Connecticut School of Medicine.

Here's the link; http://medicine.uchc.edu/prospective/babs_md/index.html

I have friends in the program, you can literally major in anything you want so long as you fulfill the prerequisites and maintain the minimum requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could someone please explain me how does BME background help doctors? Does it have a good scope in years ahead? I see so many students choosing it as their BS major when they want to go for medicine eventually.

People should just major in BME if they want to during undergrad. Also, if you're thinking about BME its definitely good if you want to go in research. For instance I know a bunch of orthopedic surgeon (MD/PhDs) that got their PhD in BME. Makes sense as far as mechanics goes.

By the way major in whatever you want, they aren't going to care if your major was "hard" all they will see is your GPA and coursework. Some pre-meds specifically in the first year of college think they will be more competitive if they major in something hard like in engineering, that admissions committees will see them as more appealing. This is not the case. So if you got a 3.5 in BME and someone else got a 3.9 in a plain old biology major, all other things being equal, the bio major looks a lot better.

University of Cincinnati has a combined BS/MD program that allows you to do whatever undergrad major you want. Usually at least 1 or 2 people who are accepted do BME. The one downside is that UC's Engineering programs are 5 year program with required Co-ops. You can opt to work in research labs for these co-op positions.

The three reasons I've been told for doing BME as a pre-med are:
1) The major's course requirements usually cover medschool pre-reqs
2) The engineering problems solving methods helps during MS3/4
3) If you end up not doing medicine, engineering is a good fallback career.

I believe Norwestern University in Illinois has a program though HPME. Biomedical engineering is 3 years with guarenteed admission to Feinberg.

VCU GMED allows program participants to pursue whatever major they wish.

I'm pretty sure University of Michigan has this course.

Brown PLME is BS(or BA)/MD and lets you major in whatever you want as well, but BME seems really intense (like all other engineering)...