BS/MD program Chances

Az1698

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was just wondering if you guys could chance me =)

GPA: 93 UW/ 102 W
ACT: 33 (will retake for a 34)
SAT I: 700 CR, 740 M, 700 W (2140 total - retaking for 2250)
SAT II: 730 World History, 670 Biology, 690 Math I, 800 USH, 670 Chem
College Level Classes taken: 13 AP's (projected), 4 Other college level classes

Other:
Letter of Recs - Beastly, 1 from GC, 1 from Bio teacher, 1 from doctor
Essays - Also beastly, had AP English teacher and former admissions person read it, both said it was great.
Misc- Parents are doctor, will talk about how I have a full understanding of what it means to be a doctor.

Awards-
Presidential Volunteer Service award (gold)
Superintendents Scholar athlete award
Poetry contest editors choice award
Schools highest PSAT scorer award
Prudential spirt of the community award (projected)
Scholastic art & writing award (projected)

EC's-
Track 2 years
Varsity football 1 year
Pre-med club
Horticulture club---secretary
Spanish Honor Society---public relations officer
Science Honor society
National Honor Society
Tutoring underprivileged kids in science and math
Babysitting

Medically related EC's-
Volunteering (500+ hours)
Shadowing (50+ hours)
Research w/ physician (name will be published in journal as special thanks to)
Research w/ psychiatrist (name will be published as main contributor)
Helping with health clinics

Schools:
UMKC
Union/AMC
Siena/AMC
Sophie Davis
Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine
Drexel
PSU 6 year
VCU
any others?

Could you chance me for these schools and tell me if I stand a chance w/ current stats? And can you also give advice on how to improve? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i dont know what your chances are but what is your gpa on a 4/5 point scale

what is your state of residency?

Applying to state-school combined programs will be significantly more difficult if you are an out of state resident than in-state, that an tuition will be roughly 2x more expensive (possibly for the entire time you are a student).

Check out this thread for more schools to consider applying to and questions you should consider when selecting a program.

Members don't see this ad :)
we don't get our gpa on the 4/5 scale.

My state of residency is NY

i didnt know that NY didnt use the 4/5 scale. everything looks good but i just dont know about your gpa bcuz in CA we use 4/5.

Hey, I was just wondering if you guys could chance me =)

GPA: 93 UW/ 102 W
ACT: 33 (will retake for a 34)
SAT I: 700 CR, 740 M, 700 W (2140 total - retaking for 2250)
SAT II: 730 World History, 670 Biology, 690 Math I, 800 USH, 670 Chem
College Level Classes taken: 13 AP's (projected), 4 Other college level classes

Other:
Letter of Recs - Beastly, 1 from GC, 1 from Bio teacher, 1 from doctor
Essays - Also beastly, had AP English teacher and former admissions person read it, both said it was great.
Misc- Parents are doctor, will talk about how I have a full understanding of what it means to be a doctor.

Awards-
Presidential Volunteer Service award (gold)
Superintendents Scholar athlete award
Poetry contest editors choice award
Schools highest PSAT scorer award
Prudential spirt of the community award (projected)
Scholastic art & writing award (projected)

EC's-
Track 2 years
Varsity football 1 year
Pre-med club
Horticulture club---secretary
Spanish Honor Society---public relations officer
Science Honor society
National Honor Society
Tutoring underprivileged kids in science and math
Babysitting

Medically related EC's-
Volunteering (500+ hours)
Shadowing (50+ hours)
Research w/ physician (name will be published in journal as special thanks to)
Research w/ psychiatrist (name will be published as main contributor)
Helping with health clinics

Schools:
UMKC
Union/AMC
Siena/AMC
Sophie Davis
Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine
Drexel
PSU 6 year
VCU
any others?

Could you chance me for these schools and tell me if I stand a chance w/ current stats? And can you also give advice on how to improve? Thanks!

WOW! My school doesn't offer any of those clubs and your medical experience for a high schooler is awsesome! I've tried finding things like that around here but uhh not so much for me. That's awesome. Good luck.

u can also try for BU's 7 year with umdnj. i dont know how the state residency will work for that program, but u do have a chance at the ones u have listed, esp any of the drexel med programs.

im surprised that ur parents haven't steered you away from PSU's 6 year. EVERY physician i have spoken to clearly told me not to do an accelerated 7 yr program, let alone a 6 year.

I got accepted into a BS/MD program and from what I've seen from the other applicants and what I know about my own preparation I can say that you have good chances.

A few things to consider:

-How are your interview skills? If you do end up applying practice running through mock interviews with someone. Don't overdo it, you don't want to sound rehearsed. Just establish topics that you want to cover and what it is about yourself that you want to continually emphasize.

-Do well on the next SAT. You did extremely well this time but remember that your competition is all of high calibur. I got a 2270 on my SAT however my friend who got a 2190 also got accepted into a BS/MD program so that's just my personal experience with SAT and BS/MD correlation.

-Your research and volunteer work are extremely impressive. That's gonna be a real plus for you.

That's all I have to say :) Honestly you shouldn't worry. You're an extremely competitive applicant for these types of programs. Best of luck to you.

from NY also, try NYIT BS/DO program, but inquire about it first because im not sure if you still have to take the MCAT or what not.

Brown and Northwestern also have a joint program, look them up on their websites.

Ur scores are ok, but realize that everyone is going to have stats similar to yours. Being hispanic (assuming from the honors society) should help you a little. Try to boost to 2250 if you can and something important is I think your graduating year, you get to choose what SAT I and SAT II scores to send, so just send your USH, Math and Chem...only if they require a science and math, if not replace one with WH (u always want to send the highest ones).

except for that have a good senior year, keep your grades high, good luck.

1- Haha, I'm not hispanic.
2- I am trying for a 2250, hopefully getting higher
3- The new sat policy starts next year, not this one.