BS/MD Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crystal02

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just noticed NEUCOM (northeastern ohio universities college of medicine) Going to one of the three colleges (Kent,Akron or Youngstown) would totally uproot my plans and change alot for me..but not having to go through the admissions struggle is appealing! Does anyone have anything to offer about these programs? Any disadvantages?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey East Tennessee State has that same type of progam, and i was offered that out of highschool. I was actually just talking about this with some friends the other day. I am so glad that i didn't do it! I don't believe that most people under 20 are able to handle the course load that is given in these types of programs. Most people do alot of growing up in their first couple of years and it is important, because 9 times out of ten most change their mind on professions. My advice would to be talk to someone who has actually done it. Call the schools they should be able to get you in touch with someone. And also evaluate your current gpa and determine if you too are ready for the type of disipline it will take to forgo such an intense set of courses, if you have anydoubt go traditional!

hi crystal,
i applied to NEOUCOM years ago (i'm now a senior in another ba/md program). anyhow, as an out-of-stater, the admissions lady basically said i wouldn't be accepted to the NEOUCOM program. but, she personally gave me a tour of the med school anyway. i visited sometime during the summer before my senior year of high school.

i believe they have an accelerated (6yr?) program--two years at one of the universities, then 4 years at the med school. if i remember correctly, the first two years at the med school are year-round. at that time, i had a horse. she told me that there is practically NO time for extra-curriculars (i.e. i shouldn't keep my horse while i was in med school). in short, you're in class A LOT.

now, i'm in a regular 8 yr ba/md program. i've had a great experience, especially since we are not pressured to stay with it. a few people have dropped out of the program, and it's not a big deal--it just wasn't for them.

therefore, do some research on the programs you want to apply to. talk to students. personally, i think the accelerated programs are a little tough. not just because of the shorter time to cram all the coursework, but to decide if you really want to be in medicine.

good luck,
CS

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses! I don't think that this type of program would really be for me...I'd probably do better going the traditional route! There are so many other aspects of my life that I wouldn't want to be in a classroom 24/7, nor do I think that I could handle the accelerated, tougher coursework! Thanks again for the advice.

www.acceleratedmed.com

Don't believe all the rumors that these programs are "harder," "more work," and "less fulfilling." Find out for yourself.

You might also look at a copy of MSAR (Medical School Admissions Requirements) 2001 which is published by the AAMC every year. It has a special section devoted to schools which offer combined BS/MD programs. Good luck!

I would caution all prospective applicants to be VERY CAUTIOUS about this route!! I applied to a number of programs a few years ago, but in my haste, I neglected to notice that they were instead BD/SM programs! There is a _huge_ difference! After a few weeks of getting whipped, bruised and burned, I finally had to drop out.... :D

BS/MD is the way to go! The conventional route is a lot of heartache!!! Take any opportunity you get.

Thanks for the help, and the link. I know that I want to pursue this career path but I know that I also want to be well rounded and have other interests in school and it seems like that would suffer in an accelerated program..? I think I'm going to spend the $35 and apply just to see if I would get in...because I think that that is borderline unlikely at the very least with my 3.65 GPA and 26 ACT. I do plan to do awesome in college though so getting into med school traditionally might not be a huge problem, right?
I just don't know, this college stuff is a big decision!! I don't even know if I'll get into OSU, where I want to go most! I've heard everywhere that it's so tough to get into anymore!! Will those numbers and a ton of extracurriculars get me in?
Thanks, again.