BS or BA in Psychology for Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doomoo123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a sophomore in college going for my BS in psychology. I am hoping to get into medical school once I've obtained my bachelors degree. I eventually want to become a psychiatrist. I am currently thinking of changing to BA in psychology instead of BS. BA would be the easier route which would give me a better chance of getting a good GPA.

The biggest thing and probably the only thing that's making me want to change is that with the BS program I have to take a harder level math class than with the BA program, and since math is my weakest subject I know I'll struggle and it won't only affect my GPA but my performance in my other class. The BS degree does have some science classes that intertwine with med school prerequisite and that's why I know some people do take the BS route but I can just take the exact same classes while going for BA. There's also less amount of psychology classes that I will need to take if I go for BA which means that I can use those extra classes that I would've taken for BS for other science classes as well as other classes to show diversification.

My question basically is will having BA in psychology make me seem less appealing than if I had a BS? Or it doesn't really matter just as long as I've taken and done well in the pre-requisite science classes for med school (like reg & organic chemistry, physics, biology, and some other recommend science classes), have a good GPA, done well on the MCAT, and have diversification.

Overall, I feel as if med school won't really look into my degree and how much psychology classes I took since they'd be more focused on what they're looking for which is the science classes.

What do you think guys think of this route? I am just completely mortified and paranoid that what I my decisions are quite bad and I could ask my counselor but I think it's better to hear from actual people who went through this.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I graduated with a BA in psychology and went to med school. The degree really has no bearing on admissions... this post really belongs in the pre-med forum though, those guys can probably give you a lot more of the kind of advice you're.looking for

Oh! okay, I will re-post this in that forum. My apologies is if I wrote it in the wrong forum.

Oh! okay, I will re-post this in that forum. My apologies is if I wrote it in the wrong forum.