BSMD or State School?

Hopeful2025

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am deciding between a state school (with full ride) and a BSMD program. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone who can get into a BS/MD program has the academic prowess and potential to get into a better MD school than Hofstra, and at 0 cost to themselves (full ride to college). Please use the search function next time, as this question is asked and answered probably 10x a year ;)

Hey everyone,
I'm a High School Senior that was accepted into my local state school (will not reveal name b/c confidentiality but it's a top 60 school per US News) with a Full Academic Scholarship in their Honors College (everything is covered; I literally will not need to pay for anything for 4 years).
This past week, I was also accepted into Hofstra's 4+4 BS/MD Program. They also gave me a large scholarship, but I will still end up paying $70,000 over the 3 years that I will be at Hofstra Undergrad.
I love both schools; I've spent a lot of time around both, and they both offer a lot of opportunities that I can pursue. However, what I'm struggling with is the question of whether the additional $70,000 is worth it for the medical school seat.
I absolutely know that medicine is the path that I will take through volunteering as an EMT and hospital volunteer/shadow experiences; I'm simply struggling with the path I want to take that will take me there. One option (the BS/MD) seems to be better to me because I'll be able to "study a little more freely" with my undergrad, being able to explore more things, whereas at the state school, I'll have to delve into "pre-med extracurriculars."
What do you think? What things should I consider when making my decision? Also, what are the pros/cons of Hofstra Med?

Thanks!
-Hopeful2025
If you got into a top 60 school, I would say, go there. It will be hard work, but you may be able to get into an even better medical school at the end of it all. A top 60 school likely offers really good research and EC opportunities-and that was something I personally really enjoyed at my undergraduate institution. Wouldn't give it up for anything. I too was in the Honors Program at my college-and those were just some great experiences, working with faculty at a top 60 school.
Plus, being in state would let you stay close to family, and likely close to some friends too-I know different people value this differently but personally I was really happy with that. At my school which is also a top 60 I know many people who worked hard and got into great medical schools, I'm sure you can too

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you think? What things should I consider when making my decision?

Are you allowed to apply to other medical schools while keeping your seat at Hofstra med if you did the 4+4 program? If so, I'd say do it in a heartbeat - I did a 4+4 program in undergrad and applied out with a guaranteed seat, and it took huge amounts of stress off off the application cycle.

Otherwise, I'd lean more toward the state school due to the financial reasons, assuming you don't prefer Hofstra as a university for other reasons. The 4+4 program's requirements are similar to what you'd need to get into a medical school in general, so if you could fulfill those requirements, you would be looking good for an application cycle - and if you couldn't, you'd be kicked out of the BS/MD program anyway.

I second the first response. If you're capable of winning full rides to your college and getting into Hofstra BS/MD you will likely have better options via the traditional route than Hofstra MD.

After all, the entire point of the BS/MD program from Hofstra's side is to attract great candidates they otherwise would never snag. Unless the peace of mind of a guaranteed option is something you absolutely need, go for the $70k savings at your local school.

Personally, I'd take the guaranteed future MD spot.