BSN Nursing Student considering Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances?

Current BSN to graduate 2013. cGPA 3.187. Science GPA- 2.44. My GPA in the last one-2 semesters has improved from 3.387-3.45 with improving grades in the sciences. I also pulled an A in Statistics and I don't know if my improvements will count because what's looked at for Med school is somewhat different from what's looked at on the Nursing track...

Schools: Still researching.

Volunteer and Work Experience: Nurse Extern on a Med/Surg/Oncology floor and volunteered for a year in the ED, Spanish Health and Kidney Fair, NBC Fitness Kidney Health in Spanish, SNA member, currently looking for more opportunities to volunteer with children and become certified in their care (PALS and NRP). I have clinical experience in CICU, as well as a Neuro Science Unit, step down ICU and Oncology.

I wanted to add: this can be moved if need be. I put it here because I didn't go the usual Pre-Med route and wasn't sure where else to put this...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you taken the prereqs for med school? I am not sure if nursing science classes would suffice. I am an RN myself and looking at your GPA I am not sure if you would be a strong applicant without more coursework. You were not an RN before going for your BSN, correct? If you are a "traditional" 4 years of college after high school BSN student and are planning on applying directly to medical school, I think you may be at a disadvantage.

Have you taken the prereqs for med school? I am not sure if nursing science classes would suffice. I am an RN myself and looking at your GPA I am not sure if you would be a strong applicant without more coursework. You were not an RN before going for your BSN, correct? If you are a "traditional" 4 years of college after high school BSN student and are planning on applying directly to medical school, I think you may be at a disadvantage.

Yeah, I did the tradition 4 year route. We've covered most of the prereq's for medical school however, with the exception of physics w/lab. That's the only thing I'm missing at this point. I don't intend to apply right away (I want to be an RN still in addition to dive more into volunteer work), but I do want to know my chances at this point, considering that I graduate very soon and the likeliness of getting my GPA up to a 3.7/8 is slim to none.

Members don't see this ad :)
cGPA 3.187. Science GPA- 2.44.

We've covered most of the prereq's for medical school however, with the exception of physics w/lab. That's the only thing I'm missing at this point. ... but I do want to know my chances at this point, considering that I graduate very soon and the likeliness of getting my GPA up to a 3.7/8 is slim to none.
Honestly, I think your chances are pretty slim. You'd have to get a master's degree/SMP and get >3.7 for that, and do well on the MCAT, and you'd still have an uphill climb. It's not impossible, but quite challenging.

Well, your GPA numbers are low--even if you got a better than decent MCAT score, it may still be iffy.

IDK. I think the SMP may be a good idea. It's more costly, but it may be what makes the difference over the odds.

I mean the links that eject posted may not say "it all," but they say an awful lot.

How long have you functioned as a RN, in say, the med-surg/onc and critical care areas? There's a big difference between a few years and say ten years and up in terms of clinical exposure and insight.

I guess, do your research, chart your course, find out what will increase your odds, and persevere if this is what you want.

I'd say it's hard; but you know, life in general can be pretty darn hard. . .depending. . .

Good luck.