BSN vs DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Josh3325

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am completely baffled about this and how much I think PT is a complete scam:

I am a RN and graduated three years ago and work in Cardio Pulminary Rehab and I work with a couple of Physical Therapists in the same building. I make 3k more than them and they make less than me and graduated at the same time as me with a doctorate. They are telling me now they wish they could of been Physican Assistant, because their friends make 15k more than them and paid off their debt the first two years. The physical therapists also said they owe more than 100k+ in debt and are frustrated.

I'm trying to look out for you guys but I would highly recommend looking into Physican Assistant. Those Physical Therapists said that PA's work with Ortho Doctors and do rehab type settings and make more :(

Members don't see this ad.

It is true that PT's do not get the respect they deserve when it comes to salary and that is probably the single biggest drawback for people entering the profession now relative to training. Please do not call it a "scam" though, that is inappropriate.

Keep in mind, Josh3325, when you interact with a new grad PT how much training they went through. Show a little respect. The DPT education is not a joke, it is legitimate, and very difficult. The reimbursement and respect from other health care professionals is the joke.

I am a RN and graduated three years ago and work in Cardio Pulminary Rehab and I work with a couple of Physical Therapists in the same building. I make 3k more than them and they make less than me and graduated at the same time as me with a doctorate. They are telling me now they wish they could of been Physican Assistant, because their friends make 15k more than them and paid off their debt the first two years. The physical therapists also said they owe more than 100k+ in debt and are frustrated.

I'm trying to look out for you guys but I would highly recommend looking into Physican Assistant. Those Physical Therapists said that PA's work with Ortho Doctors and do rehab type settings and make more :(

Where do I begin with this post? Scam?....:rolleyes:. I have no clue about where you work or how much you make. If it's in an inpatient hospital, then are you willing to help someone regain mobililty/function/ strength when they are suffering from complete left/right hemiparesis after suffering a severe TBI, congenital defect or other neuropathy for 3 hrs a day? If you work in an outpatient clinic, are you going to do 3-6 months of strengthening/stability/coordination rehab and additional prehab to prevent recurrence of injury with a 14 year old female soccer player with a terrible triad injury(torn ACL, torn medial meniscus, and torn medial collateral ligament)? If you are willing to do so, then you would be scamming with the rest of the PT students and professionals.

Moreover, you apparently did not pay close attention in your statistics courses. For you to take such a small sample size of PTs at your workplace and conclude that those salaries were indicative of the ENTIRE profession was as astute an observation as I have ever encountered. I appreciate the fact that you want to "look out for us"; however, I cannot help but think that your noble gesture of advice was not so noble at all. It comes across as severely misinformed and inexplicably ridiculous. I have a great deal of respect for the nursing profession, but you my friend should be more judicious about what your first post is going to be on other forums. Anytime you refer to anyone's profession and/or livelihood as a SCAM, please provide the requisite proof to validate such claims.

Members don't see this ad :)

From reading this post, IT'S OBVIOUS that you don't care about your patients! Money seems to be more important in your book! If all you're in it for is solely the $$$ then of course you won't enjoy your career! I'm not entering this profession for the money; I want to make a difference in people's live with the science of human movement! So will I be able to do this as a PA? NOpe!

If more money is your main goal or if you are interested in a variety of careers, then maybe something that pays more will less/equal debt would be a good choice. But I assume that most people who choose physical therapy choose it because they want to work in physical therapy. Being a physician assistant or a nurse is a completely different career choice. I agree with the others that "scam" is not a good word for this.

Reactions: 1 user

Many of the responders above me have already expanded upon this point; "scam" is a very poor choice of words considering the rationale behind it.

The physical therapists also said they owe more than 100k+ in debt and are frustrated.

This is purely situational. Unlike many of the other professional fields of health (medicine, dentistry, etc), there is a significant price range for PT school. For example, the University of the Pacific's DPT program is only two years but is estimated to cost the student about 80K$ a year, so a total cost of 160k$ for a doctorate degree. On the other end, there are other schools like UNLV and SUNY Stony Brook who have a three year DPT program but only have a total (in-state) cost of 60k$.

Bottom line: a person's debt is solely dependent upon the attended institution.

And speaking personally, I have observed frustration about the work setting usually stems from a frustration with the work. Many people with this type of negative sentiment usually say, "I am so frustrated with my pay." However, what they are really saying is, "I would totally be more willing to do this job if I got paid more."

Hard to believe, but there are some of us out there who simply think, "Damn, it feels good to be a PT."

I'm trying to look out for you guys...

Thanks

...but I would highly recommend looking into Physican Assistant.

No thanks. I can not speak for the other posters on this forum, but I already did my research in the forms of looking up numbers and shadowing. I came up with conclusion that I was more interested in the field of physical rehabilitation than ailments with a basis in cellular dysfunction.

Mostly, I can not stand bodily fluids.

Those Physical Therapists said that PA's work with Ortho Doctors and do rehab type settings and make more :(

There is a vast and significant difference between PA's working with ortho and a PT working with a patient. And by that I simply mean that the former is part of a pecking order while the later is atop the pecking order.

So okay, I admit a part of the appeal is the power and authority. Sue me!

It is true that PT's do not get the respect they deserve when it comes to salary and that is probably the single biggest drawback for people entering the profession now relative to training. Please do not call it a "scam" though, that is inappropriate.

Keep in mind, Josh3325, when you interact with a new grad PT how much training they went through. Show a little respect. The DPT education is not a joke, it is legitimate, and very difficult. The reimbursement and respect from other health care professionals is the joke.

I respect DPT's and even work out with some of them at our facility. I'm just wondering how people feel about the student debt and the ratio of what they make. I honestly think to go into this field is crazy due to what you owe to have job security.

Hello again,

Just got back from a run. The student debt to earnings is on average pretty high. I concede that, just as the average DPT student today will. However, consider that those loans will get paid off, and in the long run being a PT is by far better than the majority of professions. PT is an awesome career.

From reading this post, IT'S OBVIOUS that you don't care about your patients! Money seems to be more important in your book! If all you're in it for is solely the $$$ then of course you won't enjoy your career! I'm not entering this profession for the money; I want to make a difference in people's live with the science of human movement! So will I be able to do this as a PA? NOpe!

Ok Mary! I don't care about my patients when I am helping them and they just got out of surgery and are recovering. I'm doing Phase 1,2,3,4 cardiac rehab with patients. Specialized Physical Therapists do the same thing as me and they make less. They have a PHD and I have a BSN and they are making less than me. That still doesn't make sense. OT's require a masters and they have not bumped it up to PHD.

Ok Mary! I don't care about my patients when I am helping them and they just got out of surgery and are recovering. I'm doing Phase 1,2,3,4 cardiac rehab with patients. Specialized Physical Therapists do the same thing as me and they make less. They have a PHD and I have a BSN and they are making less than me. That still doesn't make sense. OT's require a masters and they have not bumped it up to PHD.

Well its actually a clinical doctorate unless you are working with PTs who have a Doctor of Philosophy(PhD) which is typically a research/academic degree instead of a Clinical Doctorate of Physical Therapy(DPT). As Fiveboy said, the income to debt ratio for many PTs is often not ideal. Most start in the 60-70K range. That said, there are numerous job postings for new grads where PTs can start at 75-90k contingent on location, specialty area, etc.

BTW, how do those DPTs that you work out with feel about their profession being a "complete scam?" Let us know what they say when you espouse your feelings about that.

Um, Mr. Josh3325? I don't mean to be rude, but a DPT is not a PhD. The majority of PT programs this day and age award degrees called Doctor of Physical Therapy, or DPT, which is an entry-level clinical doctorate. A PhD, or Doctor of Philosophy degree is a whole different ball game than the DPT. That's just an observation I made in your most recent post. The OT degree is also transitioning into an OTD...

Secondly, I believe arvest25 was a bit overzealous saying that you do not care about your patients, but rather for the amount of money you make. I have not doubt you care about your patients and their wellbeing. I think she meant to say that the financial aspects of the career choice dominates.

Educational costs vary widely. For example, I will only have to pay about $30,000 for ALL three years of PT school, while tuition at USC can run you the greater part of $200,000. So, the debt to earnings ration for me will be considerably less.

As many of the previous posters have said, physical therapy is a very different profession from nursing, PA, etc, even though the job requirements may overlap. Nursing may do rehab work, for example. However, PT is a specializtion in the health care field, it being rehabilitation. PT education concentrates heavily on this aspect, that is why PTs are the foremost in rehabilitative care, maybe except for PM&R docs. Our education allows us to rehabilitate a wide variety of disorders, conditions, or whatever. You may perform some rehabilitate work in the inpatient setting, but those physical therapists are also equipped to rehabilitate patients with orthopedic, neurologic, geriatric, pediatric, and other conditions. They are simply specialized in cardiopulmonary physical therapy, and so work in that specific area. Specialization is not acheived with a PhD, rather a certification from APTA.

And again, the pay is lower because of the inadequate respect the field still faces, which is mirrored in the power the APTA actually wields in politics when compared with the AMA or the ANA.

Many PTs go into the field because it genuinely interests them and it's what they want to learn, it what they want to for a living. PAs do not delve as deep or as comprehensively into rehabilitative medicine as deep as PTs during their education, even if they may are PAs to PM&R/Sports/Ortho docs.

Research, per favore.

Last edited:
Josh,

I just figured it out, I make the equivalent of 105k per year right now although I do contract/per diem/travel assignments. Right now I net 1490/wk, I've had travel jobs that netted me up to 1800/wk, some weeks down to low 1400's. And, I do get full time hours. My next job is paying me exactly 50/hr. Just so you know, you can make a pretty decent amount of money in PT if you want to, and right out of school. Where I am right now a permanent PT position for a new grad PT in an outpatient ortho position would get you about 65k, in a SNF you'd get mid 70's probably. But as I said there's potential to get over 100k easily, and working only 35-40hrs/wk. You could make way beyond that if you worked 50 hours or so. And there are many many opportunities to do so, especially where I am. Numerous companies beg for a PT to sign on with them.

Josh,

I just figured it out, I make the equivalent of 105k per year right now although I do contract/per diem/travel assignments. Right now I net 1490/wk, I've had travel jobs that netted me up to 1800/wk, some weeks down to low 1400's. And, I do get full time hours. My next job is paying me exactly 50/hr. Just so you know, you can make a pretty decent amount of money in PT if you want to, and right out of school. Where I am right now a permanent PT position for a new grad PT in an outpatient ortho position would get you about 65k, in a SNF you'd get mid 70's probably. But as I said there's potential to get over 100k easily, and working only 35-40hrs/wk. You could make way beyond that if you worked 50 hours or so. And there are many many opportunities to do so, especially where I am. Numerous companies beg for a PT to sign on with them.

FiveO,
where are you located?

Members don't see this ad :)
Josh,

Good to hear man! I'll let these guys know for sure.

Not everything is about the money you are going to spend the majority of your life working. As long as I'm happy in the end that's all that matters. I've looked into several different health careers and in the end every time I keep coming back to PT. I want to be able to make a difference in someones life and feel good about myself at the end of the day and that is something you can't put a price on. Even with the debt I would be making more than I am now anyway so for me I'm following my heart and doing what I can see myself doing for the rest of my career.

Some RN's could arguably be considered over-payed depending on which state and which hospital we're talking about. I've seen nursing unions that carry a jacked-up salary, but if you were to go one or two states over they're about 20%-30% less. Some areas RN's are needed, others their in great supply. Really depends...
PT salaries are also highly variable based on what is described above.

Anyway, your story has potential to be true for some locales and is somewhat unfortunate.

Um, Mr. Josh3325? I don't mean to be rude, but a DPT is not a PhD. The majority of PT programs this day and age award degrees called Doctor of Physical Therapy, or DPT, which is an entry-level clinical doctorate. A PhD, or Doctor of Philosophy degree is a whole different ball game than the DPT. That's just an observation I made in your most recent post. The OT degree is also transitioning into an OTD...

Secondly, I believe arvest25 was a bit overzealous saying that you do not care about your patients, but rather for the amount of money you make. I have not doubt you care about your patients and their wellbeing. I think she meant to say that the financial aspects of the career choice dominates.

Educational costs vary widely. For example, I will only have to pay about $30,000 for ALL three years of PT school, while tuition at USC can run you the greater part of $200,000. So, the debt to earnings ration for me will be considerably less.

As many of the previous posters have said, physical therapy is a very different profession from nursing, PA, etc, even though the job requirements may overlap. Nursing may do rehab work, for example. However, PT is a specializtion in the health care field, it being rehabilitation. PT education concentrates heavily on this aspect, that is why PTs are the foremost in rehabilitative care, maybe except for PM&R docs. Our education allows us to rehabilitate a wide variety of disorders, conditions, or whatever. You may perform some rehabilitate work in the inpatient setting, but those physical therapists are also equipped to rehabilitate patients with orthopedic, neurologic, geriatric, pediatric, and other conditions. They are simply specialized in cardiopulmonary physical therapy, and so work in that specific area. Specialization is not acheived with a PhD, rather a certification from APTA.

And again, the pay is lower because of the inadequate respect the field still faces, which is mirrored in the power the APTA actually wields in politics when compared with the AMA or the ANA.

Many PTs go into the field because it genuinely interests them and it's what they want to learn, it what they want to for a living. PAs do not delve as deep or as comprehensively into rehabilitative medicine as deep as PTs during their education, even if they may are PAs to PM&R/Sports/Ortho docs.

Research, per favore.

There is a moral to this thread. One that was touched upon in a Jules Rothstein Debate at the Annual APTA conference in 2010. I'll include the link to the mp3 of the debate, but will warn you that it is lengthy, at over one hour and twenty minutes - http://ptjournal.apta.org/content/90/11/suppl/DC2

Regardless, the title of the debate is "Health Care Reform: Can We Take Advantage of Different Models of Care to Demonstrate the Value of Physical Therapy?"

How have the PTs that work alongside Josh demonstrated their value?

Josh is an educated health professional, who used a term that many of you took offense at - "scam." You can debate whether his choice of words was poor (which I think is a total waste of time), or you can look at the underlying reason behind his post. As many of you have pointed out, the educational costs of obtaining a PT degree can vary widley, and if you are a careful consumer of PT education, you may be able to avoid some of the pitfalls that befell Josh's co-workers. But, from Josh's point of view, his job is EXACTLY the same os the job of his PT co-workers. So back to my original question - How have Josh's co-workers demonstrated their value. Many of you have spoken about a special, distinct body of knowledge that only PTs possess. How have his co-workers demonstrated this knowledge? It would be my guess, (not having all of the info, obviously) that they haven't. And, if Josh, an RN, can't tell the difference, how the hell are our patients (who are less educated on health care professions) supposed to be able to tell the difference? Or, for that matter, how are third party payors supposed to tell the difference? And, if they can't, why would they continue to pay us for our services in these settings?

Want to know a reason why Josh's co-workers might be underpaid relative to an RN's salary? Could it be that they have yet to establish this special and unique body of knowledge and skill in any concrete and meaningful way?

There is a moral to this thread. One that was touched upon in a Jules Rothstein Debate at the Annual APTA conference in 2010. I'll include the link to the mp3 of the debate, but will warn you that it is lengthy, at over one hour and twenty minutes - http://ptjournal.apta.org/content/90/11/suppl/DC2

Regardless, the title of the debate is "Health Care Reform: Can We Take Advantage of Different Models of Care to Demonstrate the Value of Physical Therapy?"

How have the PTs that work alongside Josh demonstrated their value?

Josh is an educated health professional, who used a term that many of you took offense at - "scam." You can debate whether his choice of words was poor (which I think is a total waste of time), or you can look at the underlying reason behind his post. As many of you have pointed out, the educational costs of obtaining a PT degree can vary widley, and if you are a careful consumer of PT education, you may be able to avoid some of the pitfalls that befell Josh's co-workers. But, from Josh's point of view, his job is EXACTLY the same os the job of his PT co-workers. So back to my original question - How have Josh's co-workers demonstrated their value. Many of you have spoken about a special, distinct body of knowledge that only PTs possess. How have his co-workers demonstrated this knowledge? It would be my guess, (not having all of the info, obviously) that they haven't. And, if Josh, an RN, can't tell the difference, how the hell are our patients (who are less educated on health care professions) supposed to be able to tell the difference? Or, for that matter, how are third party payors supposed to tell the difference? And, if they can't, why would they continue to pay us for our services in these settings?

Want to know a reason why Josh's co-workers might be underpaid relative to an RN's salary? Could it be that they have yet to establish this special and unique body of knowledge and skill in any concrete and meaningful way?

Jess,

I have yet to listen to the link you posted, so this reply is not a direct response to it. I do look forward to listening to it though. First, I wholeheartedly agree with the notion that it is incumbent upon all professionals(health care or other) to prove their value to constituents and respective workplaces every time they walk in the door. No argument there! You also will not get any argument from me about the PTs who work with Josh. If the scope of practice and responsibilities for PTs and RNs at that clinic are the same, then one can strongly argue that compensation should be equivalent.

The issue that I take umbrage with(even as a student with zero practice experience) is how our profession is percieved not only by others in heath care but pts as well. A large part of any service industry's success is the customers'/patients' perception of the treatment and services in question. If enough of the patients you treat in the outpatient setting view what you do as a "scam", then would that not in turn affect your livelihood from a monetary standpoint? This is why I used the example of the 14yrs old soccer player with the "terrible triad" injury. Now if Josh's argument is solely about some PT schools scamming hundreds of thousands of dollars from "unsuspecting victims" then I might have to agree with that notion for certain schools. I guess I am somewhat confounded that you would not be a little more up in arms about what people are putting out there in terms of the profession/craft you seem to have dedicated a great deal of time and energy to be a part of.

Final point, I know that there is a lot of "dead wood" professionals out there in PT. These individuals have no interest in EBP or the advancement of the profession. Their worth IMHO is ZERO! To have the responsibility of another person's health/well-being at your fingertips and to come to work just to collect a check is unacceptable. This is something that I discussed at great length during my interviews circuit, and I hope I can be an agent of change if I ever come across people like this.

Ox-

A large part of any service industry's success is the customers'/patients' perception of the treatment and services in question. If enough of the patients you treat in the outpatient setting view what you do as a "scam", then would that not in turn affect your livelihood from a monetary standpoint? This is why I used the example of the 14yrs old soccer player with the "terrible triad" injury. Now if Josh's argument is solely about some PT schools scamming hundreds of thousands of dollars from "unsuspecting victims" then I might have to agree with that notion for certain schools. I guess I am somewhat confounded that you would not be a little more up in arms about what people are putting out there in terms of the profession/craft you seem to have dedicated a great deal of time and energy to be a part of.

I think when you look at the OP first post, he was actually trying to articulate that he thinks the PT educational system is scamming many PT students out of $$$. He won't get an argument from me on that point.

But, you'll eventually encouter a lot of people who initally trivialize the role that a PT can play in the management of many conditions/injuries. There are a lot of factors that go into this. Some of that is what Josh alludes to. How much weight would you put into the clinical reasoning of a PT in an outpatient orthopaedic setting if your only previous expereince with a PT was when they came and dragged your grandfather out of his hospital bed and walked him up and down the hall for a few minutes. Or, if the PT came to your home and ran you or a family memeber through what appeared to be generic and standard exercises. Or, if he had you walk on a treadmill and periodically took you heart rate and blood pressure, standing beside a nurse who appeared to be doing the very same thing with the person on the treadmill beside you. A lot of the public's exposure to our profession happens in settings where what we are doing does not appear to require a lot of clinical reasoning or skill. In large part this is because many PTs provide a poor product to thier patients. Additionally, I also think that we are in practicing in settings where we have yet to really show that our unique body of knowledge and skill set improves the outcomes within those settings (cardiopulmonary and acute care, to name two).
Then we have those outpatient PT clinics where the PT treats the patient for five, maybe ten minutes and then turns him over to a PT tech who essentially runs that patient through the same exercises that they do as part of their home exercise program.

The reason that I don't get "up in arms" about opinions like those expressed by the OP is becuase I think that we (PTs) are responsible for these attitudes and perceptions. And, with the "peace" gene that so many in rehab seem to posses, our profession as a whole does little to call these horrible therapists to the carpet. That only contributes to the problem.

Our profession needs a Reckoning Day where we sepearte the wheat from the chaff, where we quite worrying about what we call ourselves (is it Doctor so-and-so, or so-and-so your physical therapist?) and instead focus on how we can optimize our outcomes, where we quite worrying about offending our fellow PTs by questioning their treatment approach and instead speak the truth about interventions based on poor scientific theory (craniosacral therapy, myofascial release, primal reflex release technique, insert additional quackery here...). Once this happens, patients will only come into contact with therapists who use sound science to make clinical decisions, and they will notice the profound difference that PT can make in their recovery. Unfortunately, I believe that these therapists are currently in a distinct and small minority.

As an example of the above, I had a new patient last week who had been in a motor vehicle accident and had PT for three times pre week for a total of 8 weeks without her PT EVER treating her with manual therapy. She was instead treated with ultrasound, electricla stimulation, moist heat and the same three stretches every session. Another new patient last week had frozen shoulder and was seen by another PT who also did no manual therapy and did not educate her about her condition. But, at least her treatment regimine included an exquisitely painful home exercise program.

Sorry for the rant, but PT as it is currently practiced, by what I am afraid is the majority of clinicians, bears a great deal of the onus for the attitudes expressed by the OP.

Ox-

I think when you look at the OP first post, he was actually trying to articulate that he thinks the PT educational system is scamming many PT students out of $$$. He won't get an argument from me on that point.

But, you'll eventually encouter a lot of people who initally trivialize the role that a PT can play in the management of many conditions/injuries. There are a lot of factors that go into this. Some of that is what Josh alludes to. How much weight would you put into the clinical reasoning of a PT in an outpatient orthopaedic setting if your only previous expereince with a PT was when they came and dragged your grandfather out of his hospital bed and walked him up and down the hall for a few minutes. Or, if the PT came to your home and ran you or a family memeber through what appeared to be generic and standard exercises. Or, if he had you walk on a treadmill and periodically took you heart rate and blood pressure, standing beside a nurse who appeared to be doing the very same thing with the person on the treadmill beside you. A lot of the public's exposure to our profession happens in settings where what we are doing does not appear to require a lot of clinical reasoning or skill. In large part this is because many PTs provide a poor product to thier patients. Additionally, I also think that we are in practicing in settings where we have yet to really show that our unique body of knowledge and skill set improves the outcomes within those settings (cardiopulmonary and acute care, to name two).
Then we have those outpatient PT clinics where the PT treats the patient for five, maybe ten minutes and then turns him over to a PT tech who essentially runs that patient through the same exercises that they do as part of their home exercise program.

The reason that I don't get "up in arms" about opinions like those expressed by the OP is becuase I think that we (PTs) are responsible for these attitudes and perceptions. And, with the "peace" gene that so many in rehab seem to posses, our profession as a whole does little to call these horrible therapists to the carpet. That only contributes to the problem.

Our profession needs a Reckoning Day where we sepearte the wheat from the chaff, where we quite worrying about what we call ourselves (is it Doctor so-and-so, or so-and-so your physical therapist?) and instead focus on how we can optimize our outcomes, where we quite worrying about offending our fellow PTs by questioning their treatment approach and instead speak the truth about interventions based on poor scientific theory (craniosacral therapy, myofascial release, primal reflex release technique, insert additional quackery here...). Once this happens, patients will only come into contact with therapists who use sound science to make clinical decisions, and they will notice the profound difference that PT can make in their recovery. Unfortunately, I believe that these therapists are currently in a distinct and small minority.

As an example of the above, I had a new patient last week who had been in a motor vehicle accident and had PT for three times pre week for a total of 8 weeks without her PT EVER treating her with manual therapy. She was instead treated with ultrasound, electricla stimulation, moist heat and the same three stretches every session. Another new patient last week had frozen shoulder and was seen by another PT who also did no manual therapy and did not educate her about her condition. But, at least her treatment regimine included an exquisitely painful home exercise program.

Sorry for the rant, but PT as it is currently practiced, by what I am afraid is the majority of clinicians, bears a great deal of the onus for the attitudes expressed by the OP.

No apologies needed. I appreciate the opinion of someone who seems to be deeply entrenched in the profession and is a straight shooter such as yourself. What you outlined above is certainly a concern for me as I enter this profession. I only hope that I and the future PT students are extremely discerning with how we learn, teach, and treat patients. My greatest concern besides money/job security is that I enter a profession where the large majority of its professionals are dedicated and passionate about applying the science and EBP learned into practice! The stronger the scientific and clinical foundations, then the more validity and reliability PT treatment can be! Let's just hope we can head this way SOON and FOR GOOD!

Jess:

I do not think you should respond to things you are unaware of the evidence on. PT has nice evidence of its efficacy in the acute care setting. One press release and one article as an example. To say PT in the hospital drag people out of bed is offensive to PTs who work tirelessly in a very dynamic setting. And home health is truly one of the most autonomous practice settings for a PT, and the work done there had known benefits (although I am not too sure about evidence, but please remember EBP includes EQUALLY IMPORTANT empirical evidence, patient preferences, and clinical expertise. As a PT with 20 years experience in just about every practice setting imaginable, it disheartens me to read a PT make disparaging comments about a professional colleague.....much more so than a different health care professional.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071023164049.htm

Attachments

• smith et al dc planning.pdf
    337.5 KB · Views: 54
Our profession needs a Reckoning Day where we sepearte the wheat from the chaff, where we quite worrying about what we call ourselves (is it Doctor so-and-so, or so-and-so your physical therapist?) and instead focus on how we can optimize our outcomes, where we quite worrying about offending our fellow PTs by questioning their treatment approach and instead speak the truth about interventions based on poor scientific theory (craniosacral therapy, myofascial release, primal reflex release technique, insert additional quackery here...).

Jess, I LOVE THIS, and I love how you called out quackery interventions :D

This is entirely ridiculous. I cant speak from personal experience(considering I'm still in high school) , but I can definitely say that going into PT should not be about the $$. And calling it a scam? That's ridiculous, considering the curriculum is quite challenging and involves ALOT of advanced anatomy and physiology and other hard sciences. Where I live, PTs are highly respected and arent considered to be any different from a PA. From what I know, it is definitely possible for any physical therapist(or even occupational and psychotherapist) to make a salary within the six figures, but they just need to put in a lot of hours, like 50-60 per week.

Nice job trolling these threads and trying to twist the profession around like that.

Ox-

This is a very insightful post. I thank jeebus for people with your insight

Jess:

I do not think you should respond to things you are unaware of the evidence on. PT has nice evidence of its efficacy in the acute care setting. One press release and one article as an example. To say PT in the hospital drag people out of bed is offensive to PTs who work tirelessly in a very dynamic setting. And home health is truly one of the most autonomous practice settings for a PT, and the work done there had known benefits (although I am not too sure about evidence, but please remember EBP includes EQUALLY IMPORTANT empirical evidence, patient preferences, and clinical expertise. As a PT with 20 years experience in just about every practice setting imaginable, it disheartens me to read a PT make disparaging comments about a professional colleague.....much more so than a different health care professional.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071023164049.htm

ptinaz -

Thanks for posting the article. You seem like a PT who is engaged in their profession and that is commendable.

First, I chose the words I chose for a few reasons. I think the descriptions of the PT scenarios I outlined in my post are how many consumers perceive PT. The words/phrases I used were in layperson's terms for that reason. However, I also chose those terms because I think that they accurately describe the type of care given by a too large percentage of our colleagues. Additionally, I think there are many settings where PT has yet to demonstrate its value. Certainly, you have seen some examples of this in the acute care setting. Do you really feel that the full depth and breadth of knowledge that a PT possesses is needed in the Total Joint Replacement floor of a hospital? From the time I spent there, it seemed like a CNA could be trained for that job in about a month, without any negative impact on the patients' outcomes. There are also areas in the outpatient ortho world where this lack of demonstrated value holds true.

In regards to the study you posted, well, it has nothing to do with service/care delivery in the acute care physical therapy setting, which is primarily what I was talking about. In fact, one of the limitations the authors discuss is the fact that they measured so few variables in their RETROSPCETIVE analysis of ONE hospital. Obvioiusly, a retrospective study is less desireable than a prospective one, but I'm not sure they could have done the study prospectively and got it past an IRB. Additionally, we can't generalize those results to acute care in general, because they were taken from only one location. And, I would certinaly like to know if the PTs who were involved in the discharge planning used some of the well researched balance and functional screening tools to help predict falls risk, etc., or if they were "following their gut."

The link you provided to the ICU PT article was much more to my liking. It looks like the outlined their practice in a way that is cost effective and utilized the PT resources appropriately. Namely, the non-skilled PROM was handled by a CNA, and when the patient was appropriate for more intense rehabilitation, a PT was brought in for consultation and subsequent treatment. I LOVE this service delivery method. Ptinaz, I have a question for you - Is this how the service is delivered in your hospital, or are the PTs in doing simple PROM from the get go? If so, it seems like a waste of resources to me.

I agre with you about the automonomy of home health, and I think that this is an area where we really should be able to establish our value.
skilled assessment, falls prevention, specific and individualized home exercise programs, they all fall right in our wheelhouse and constitute skilled interventions.

And as far as your EBM statement, well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Clinical experience/expert opinion is not as important, as evidence gleaned from a well designed, controlled trial that has a sound theoretical basis behind it.

Enjoying the discussion.

Jesspt,

You consistently come across as arrogant and a know it all, are you aware of that?

It is inappropriate for you to comment on how much knowledge a PT must have on an hospital ortho floor, it is not your decision, and you obviously lack experience in this area to make a judgement (1 mo). The state board of PT decides who is competent to practice PT, and a CNA is certainly not, despite any thoughts you fabricate to be facts in your head.

Also, I don't appreciate how you commonly imply the vast majority of PT's are incompetent. Do you grasp that it is those PT's who have compiled all the knowledge that you learned in school?

You are not the only PT who reads journal articles and applies them to PT practice. It appears that you automatically assume there are very limited PT's who do. I read articles consistently, I'm an APTA member, ortho/geriatric sections member. You don't hear me rambling on about articles and evidence every two seconds though do you? Just because someone doesn't run their mouth doesn't mean they don't know. Write that down.

The OP was making the argument that PT's now are getting scammed by earning the DPT because it's too expensive relative to the pay. You assumed the OP posted because he/she didn't observe any difference between a DPT or a BSPT as a clinician. That has nothing to do with it and isn't even relevant.

Jesspt,

You consistently come across as arrogant and a know it all, are you aware of that?

It is inappropriate for you to comment on how much knowledge a PT must have on an hospital ortho floor, it is not your decision, and you obviously lack experience in this area to make a judgement (1 mo). The state board of PT decides who is competent to practice PT, and a CNA is certainly not, despite any thoughts you fabricate to be facts in your head.

Also, I don't appreciate how you commonly imply the vast majority of PT's are incompetent. Do you grasp that it is those PT's who have compiled all the knowledge that you learned in school?

You are not the only PT who reads journal articles and applies them to PT practice. It appears that you automatically assume there are very limited PT's who do. I read articles consistently, I'm an APTA member, ortho/geriatric sections member. You don't hear me rambling on about articles and evidence every two seconds though do you? Just because someone doesn't run their mouth doesn't mean they don't know. Write that down.

The OP was making the argument that PT's now are getting scammed by earning the DPT because it's too expensive relative to the pay. You assumed the OP posted because he/she didn't observe any difference between a DPT or a BSPT as a clinician. That has nothing to do with it and isn't even relevant.

OK FiveO -

My opinion is inappropriate, but ad hominem attacks from you are justified? That seems like a bit of a double standard.

Let me address some of your comments:

It is inappropriate for you to comment on how much knowledge a PT must have on an hospital ortho floor, it is not your decision, and you obviously lack experience in this area to make a judgement (1 mo).
Not sure why it would be inappropriate for me to comment on this. I have worked on an ortho floor and didn't feel that the job required the skill level that all PTs have when we graduate from school. I now see patients primarily in an outpatient orthopaedic setting, where I commonly encounter patients who have had total joint replacements. When we discuss their inpatient rehab, I hear little from them that changes my opinion. Do you have examples (perhaps from the many articles you are constantly reading) that contradict this?
You are correct. It is not my decision on how to staff the floor. But my experience has been that the directors of rehab departments are not exactly incentivized to decreased their staffing of these departments, as it will negatively impact their budget.
And, in regards to the one month time frame - well, how long did it take you to master a sit-to-stand or sit-to-supine transfer? And how about the standard ROM and strengthening exercises that are part of the typical critical pathway that most hospitals use in the immeidate post-operative phase. It took you longer than a month?

The state board of PT decides who is competent to practice PT, and a CNA is certainly not, despite any thoughts you fabricate to be facts in your head.
You state the obvious here, which has nothing to do with my statement. To paraphrase, I didn't say a CNA was competent to practice PT. Rather, I stated that my opinion was that post-op rehab, as it is typically practiced, doesn't really resemble a treatment environment that requires the skillset that we are able to provide.
And in regards to my head, it is admittedly a strange place that you amy want to stay out of. You might frequently find these scary things calls opinions, which often run counter to the conventional physical therapy wisdom.

Well, much of my didactic preparation was based on science, or at least the applicable science that we knew at that time. Certainly, some clinicians contributed to it as well, names such as Maitland, McKenzie, Kaltenborn, Bobath, etc. come to mind. However, I doubt that the PTs I am sometimes critical of had any contribution to "what I learned in school." Although I did encounter several PTs in my clinicals that taught me how not to practice physical therapy. And, I suppose, that in itself was quite educational.

You are not the only PT who reads journal articles and applies them to PT practice. It appears that you automatically assume there are very limited PT's who do.
I am aware that other PTs read articles. In fact, I have several friends and co-workers/peers who take a similar approach to lifelong learning that I do. Unfortunately, I work for a large company and come into contact with a large number of clinicians, many of whom haven' picked up a journal or read a decent article in months if not years. They are never at our quarterly journal club. My assumption is based out of this experience. Perhaps your experiences differ.

I read articles consistently, I'm an APTA member, ortho/geriatric sections member. You don't hear me rambling on about articles and evidence every two seconds though do you? Just because someone doesn't run their mouth doesn't mean they don't know. Write that down.

I have written it down. I used all capital letters, since you seemd as though you really wanted this point emphasized.
I would love to hear you discuss these articles that you read consistently. Perhaps you have some which contradict my previous statements. If so, please share. This would be what is commonly reffered to as professional debate.
Also, do your co-workers read a simmilar amount of literature as you do? If not, how can you be so sure that the vast majority of PTs are keeping abreast (as best as they can) of research relevant to their current area of practice?

Uh, no. I thought I articulated this in my previous post, but perhaps not. I think (and this is my opinion) that one of the reasons that the OP felt PT school was a scam was that he noticed little value that was provided by the PTs in that setting that couldn't be provided by another health care worker. And, since that was the case, why get your DPT (and pay big $$$) when you can get an RN degree for considerable less cash, practice in a similar manner, and make the same, if not more money.

I seemed to have upset you FiveO. My intention was to engage in professional debate, and to also point out that once the PT students on this board graduate, they need to remain aware that they should demonstrate their value in whatever setting they land in. That tends to be easy to think about while we are in school, but gets harder once we get out into our clinicals, where many CIs are still telling their students "that might be what they taught you in school ,but this is how it's done in the clinic" or some variation thereof. Some seem to have been receptive to this message. I might ask why it seems that you were not.

Jesspt,

I concede there are areas within the scope of PT that overall require greater knowledge in order to become a master clinician versus acute ortho, or justify the DPT, yet this doesn't mean the floor is below us. There are many many subtle things a PT would pick up on during patient visit that a lesser trained person would not. Things you probably are not even aware of that you think about or look at. There is definite danger considering a lesser trained person working with patient's on an ortho floor. PT's are obviously extremely well educated in functional mobility and this is a must for treating patient's who are post op. At the very least, a PTA is required for this type of treatment, and for good reason. As far as it taking me longer than a month to learn how to be adequate on an acute ortho floor, I'm not sure. I'm not even interested in being adequate by the way, I'd prefer to be an expert.

I'm personally not much of a guru guy when it comes to PT. As I said, I read the articles through JOSPT, PT journal, Gerinotes, just yesterday I ordered an article comparing the outcomes of 1 level cervical fusion vs disc replacement. I get random articles here and there for patient's or personal interest, and I order way beyond the required con ed, whether it be on site, or take home courses. And, one of the main ways I learn more about PT and become a better clinician is watching other PT's.

I'm not sure how much other clinician's devote to life time learning or article reading, I just prefer not to project how dedicated other PT's are to the profession based upon how often I observe them talk about evidence.

In summary, I think it's great you are involved with the evidence aspect of PT. Overall, I wish the PT profession was more toward that end of the spectrum. If you would be interested in starting a journal club on this site let me know.

FiveO-

There is definite danger considering a lesser trained person working with patient's on an ortho floor. PT's are obviously extremely well educated in functional mobility and this is a must for treating patient's who are post op. At the very least, a PTA is required for this type of treatment, and for good reason. As far as it taking me longer than a month to learn how to be adequate on an acute ortho floor, I'm not sure. I'm not even interested in being adequate by the way, I'd prefer to be an expert.

I guess that I just don't see the danger, as you describe it. A PTA is probably a better utilization of resources once a PT has done the initial evaluation, but I still contend that one doesn't need a year or two of didactic and clinical preparation to work primalrily with patients who have received total joint replacements.

In regards to you being adequate on an ortho floor, I'd expect it would occur in about two days, but possible by noon on the first day. Heck, most PT students would be ready to jumpt into this environment by the end of their first year.

I'm personally not much of a guru guy when it comes to PT.

That's good. That is not a path that anyone should be on.

And, one of the main ways I learn more about PT and become a better clinician is watching other PT's.
Nothing wrong with that.

I just prefer not to project how dedicated other PT's are to the profession based upon how often I observe them talk about evidence.

I would disagree here. If you are working along side a few therapists for a while, and a conversation about evidence never occurs, well, that just is unfathomable to me. How does one treat patients, and bounce ideas off of other clinicians, without discussing evidence?

Example: I was covering at a clinic that I am not normally at, working alongside a PT that I have known for over a year but have not worked with very much. We were discussing a patient with low back pain who she assured me had a right on right sacral torsion which she determined by palpation and the location of the patient's symptoms. When I asked how she could be so certain, she rsponded "Well, another PT told me how to examine a patient for this." This was a springboard for a conversation regarding evidcence that I was familiar with regarding the lack of diagnostic accuracy for palpatory diagnosis as well as some work by Laslett regarding the physical examination of the sacroiliac joint. It turns out she had nothing guiding her other than some anecdotal experience from a PT she worked with who had gone to a Michigan State Osteopathic Manual Medicine course several years back.

I think it is our responsibility to discuss these things when situations like this are presented to us in the clinic. And, it has been my experience that those who are engaged in the profession have no problems participating in these discussions, whereas those PTs who simply can't be bothered to learn something new and just want to put their hours in tend to find these conversations tedious.

If you would be interested in starting a journal club on this site let me know.

That's an interesting idea, but I am nto sure that this is a great forum, as there seem to be relatively few current PT student and practicing clinicians. Rather, many participants on the message board seem to potential students. Any ideas about other venues?

This is entirely ridiculous. I cant speak from personal experience(considering I'm still in high school) , but I can definitely say that going into PT should not be about the $$. And calling it a scam? That's ridiculous, considering the curriculum is quite challenging and involves ALOT of advanced anatomy and physiology and other hard sciences. Where I live, PTs are highly respected and arent considered to be any different from a PA. From what I know, it is definitely possible for any physical therapist(or even occupational and psychotherapist) to make a salary within the six figures, but they just need to put in a lot of hours, like 50-60 per week.

Nice job trolling these threads and trying to twist the profession around like that.

Not trolling, just stating facts and stats.

So you owe 100k+ (plus about 40k in interest) and make 60k or 70k walking out:

Married..expensive
house...yea right
car payments....
insurance....
gas, living...
having kids...
oh sorry hunny I cant go out tonight I have to work 50+ hours to pay off this debt for 10 years...

When there is another crisis with student loans I won't say I told you so.

I may sound arrogant, but I can bet some of you are looking in the mirror and wishing you didn't do this and went into another field. I work at a very high calibur hospital and most PT's wish they did OT and are already burned out with what they are doing and can't leave for another two years since the hospital will only pay 10k of their debt away. Nowadays most hospitals will not pay PT's and OT's for school because the debt is so high (unless if they are 80 mill+ generators) and they are now paying RN's who are doing the same exact thing you guys are doing in your field. Remember PTA's were grandfathered in from being Nurses Aids.

Not trolling, just stating facts and stats.

So you owe 100k+ (plus about 40k in interest) and make 60k or 70k walking out:

Married..expensive
house...yea right
car payments....
insurance....
gas, living...
having kids...
oh sorry hunny I cant go out tonight I have to work 50+ hours to pay off this debt for 10 years...

When there is another crisis with student loans I won't say I told you so.

I may sound arrogant, but I can bet some of you are looking in the mirror and wishing you didn't do this and went into another field. I work at a very high calibur hospital and most PT's wish they did OT and are already burned out with what they are doing and can't leave for another two years since the hospital will only pay 10k of their debt away. Nowadays most hospitals will not pay PT's and OT's for school because the debt is so high (unless if they are 80 mill+ generators) and they are now paying RN's who are doing the same exact thing you guys are doing in your field. Remember PTA's were grandfathered in from being Nurses Aids.

Not everyone lives the EXACT same way! Marriage is not on my priority list nor is a new car/home! And let's say I did get married.....What about my SO's income? What if she is fine with apartment living? What if she already owns a home that is paid for? What if we both have cars that are capable of getting us from point A to B? Ever thought about that? I just don't understand why people think that since you graduate from school you are SUPPOSED to do this and that; buy this and buy that! I don't have to do anything! I could be fine with living a very simple life and have more fun than anyone in this forum! Not everyone goes to school for the "lavish" lifestyle....

Not everyone lives the EXACT same way! Marriage is not on my priority list nor is a new car/home! And let's say I did get married.....What about my SO's income? What if she is fine with apartment living? What if she already owns a home that is paid for? What if we both have cars that are capable of getting us from point A to B? Ever thought about that? I just don't understand why people think that since you graduate from school you are SUPPOSED to do this and that; buy this and buy that! I don't have to do anything! I could be fine with living a very simple life and have more fun than anyone in this forum! Not everyone goes to school for the "lavish" lifestyle....

Agreed.

Yes, the things that Josh listed are on a lot of peoples' "to do" lists- but it's also possible to live within your means- and if you have an SO then their income will contribute to the monthly bills.

And not EVERYONE is paying over 100K for school, I sure as heck am not planning to do so!

I live a normal lifestyle and buy used cars. I invest well with my money...infact I paid my way thru LPN and BSN school working full time and might even go back in a couple of years to be a CRNA or a CNP. Keep on trying to bash me I didn't have mommy and daddy pay for me or take out student loans.

I live a normal lifestyle and buy used cars. I invest well with my money...infact I paid my way thru LPN and BSN school working full time and might even go back in a couple of years to be a CRNA or a CNP. Keep on trying to bash me I didn't have mommy and daddy pay for me or take out student loans.

No one is bashing you Josh, and I hardly think that arvest's post was an attempt at anything other than trying to prove that there are different situations that you are not considering.

There was no mention of anyone's parents helping them either. Yes, I'm sure some people will be lucky enough that their parents will shell out the money/co-sign loans, etc but there are a lot of us who are not relying on Mom and Dad. We are all adults here, although sometimes you do not act like it.

And just because we are doing it on our own, does not make us incapable of making "smart" choices outside of school so that we may be able to live comfortably once we are out of school.

Everyone has debt, and every day people overcome their debt.

If you want to have an intelligent conversation about how you perform some of the same duties as a PT, the differences you have personally encountered in your job setting, etc then that's great- intelligent conversations are always welcomed. If you are here simply to complain about how you feel we are "crazy" or "stupid" for doing this, then stop wasting everyone's time.

There are far too many people on this board who just show up to belittle everyone and then disappear.

Josh- next time you pass a private PT clinic go in and just take a peek... it's very very different than the cardiac setting you work in. I agree with JessPT in the fact that these settings don't use PT's full skillset thus don't pay for it- Private PT practices by me pay 75-80 to start and around 100 after a few years. If you can open up your own you can imagine the income. I agree that student loans have to be carefully calculated but there is no excuse to not receive a PT education for around 60.
Bottom line- become informed with the entire/majority of the profession most of which work outpatient. It is a highly skilled job that does take doctoring education and pays appropriately.

I was really hoping this thread died out, because it seems to have been created to incite controversy, not to foster a civilized debate about career choices/options. The OP wants to come off as being insightful and well-versed in a number of matters; however, it appears that the ship has long sailed!

Josh, nobody intended to bash you. At lest I initially didn't intent to bash you or start an e-war, but why do you feel the need to speak adamantly about things in which you are not well versed? Did you do a meta-analysis of the 200+ physical therapy programs around the U.S? In your assessment of physical therapy education/career prospects, did you find that every school is going to cost an arm and a leg to attend? Did you know that with experience, location, and position the median salary for a physical therapist is ~80,000? Why do you only keep referencing the ppl you work with as if they are the only PTs in the world? Physical therapists work in SNFs, LTCs, Outpatient Clinics, Private Practices, Interdisciplinary offices, the list goes on. Did you survey ppl in each of those settings to gain insight about salary, job satisfaction, scope of practice, etc? Did you know that more than 20% of PTs own or are partner in their own practice? I could to step out on a massive limb and say.......NO!

So please, when you come in this neck of the woods looking for a fight, know that you are going to get one. We all applaud :clap: you for working full time, going to school, rescuing kittens, and putting out wildfires through nursing school. It is extraordinarily commendable(dead serious). Please come back when you are taking a 22 credit semester(14-15cr basic science), have part-time clinical responsibilities, are responsible for individual and group research all while still responsible for 10-20 hours of independent study time throughout the week.

BOTTOM LINE: CHILD PLEASE!!!

I was really hoping this thread died out, because it seems to have been created to incite controversy, not to foster a civilized debate about career choices/options. The OP wants to come off as being insightful and well-versed in a number of matters; however, it appears that the ship has long sailed!

Josh, nobody intended to bash you. At lest I initially didn't intent to bash you or start an e-war, but why do you feel the need to speak adamantly about things in which you are not well versed? Did you do a meta-analysis of the 200+ physical therapy programs around the U.S? In your assessment of physical therapy education/career prospects, did you find that every school is going to cost an arm and a leg to attend? Did you know that with experience, location, and position the median salary for a physical therapist is ~80,000? Why do you only keep referencing the ppl you work with as if they are the only PTs in the world? Physical therapists work in SNFs, LTCs, Outpatient Clinics, Private Practices, Interdisciplinary offices, the list goes on. Did you survey ppl in each of those settings to gain insight about salary, job satisfaction, scope of practice, etc? Did you know that more than 20% of PTs own or are partner in their own practice? I could to step out on a massive limb and say.......NO!

So please, when you come in this neck of the woods looking for a fight, know that you are going to get one. We all applaud :clap: you for working full time, going to school, rescuing kittens, and putting out wildfires through nursing school. It is extraordinarily commendable(dead serious). Please come back when you are taking a 22 credit semester(14-15cr basic science), have part-time clinical responsibilities, are responsible for individual and group research all while still responsible for 10-20 hours of independent study time throughout the week.

BOTTOM LINE: CHILD PLEASE!!!

-Taken 20+ credit hours in harder stuff than your undergrad pre recs to get into CRNA school and plan on doing it in a couple of years WHILE WORKING
-Took clinicals at the same time

Time to leave :laugh: I'm making more sense and proving my point people are mad because I am proving my point and you are taking out anger and aggression owing so much money and making less than you owe. This is a classic example why we are in a recession.

-Taken 20+ credit hours in harder stuff than your undergrad pre recs to get into CRNA school and plan on doing it in a couple of years WHILE WORKING

Time to leave :laugh: I'm making more sense and proving my point people are mad because I am proving my point and you are taking out anger and aggression owing so much money and making less than you owe. This is a classic example why we are in a recession.

Dear Josh3325,

I'm glad to hear you're working very hard to become a CRNA and I'm very pleased that you've managed to form a generalized opinion of the PT education and profession through a very small source of anecdotal evidence. Moreover, I'm glad to hear that all of us PT students will face a harrowing time paying our >100k debt after we graduate from super-expensive, scamming schools, that really don't teach us anything. I'll be sure to thank my mommy and daddy for paying for most of my expenses because that's what adults do. They show their gratitude.

I'm also glad to have just found out from you that I'll be paying my debt for more than 10 years and not enjoy a single element of normal life because PT school was really just a scam because we pay so much and get paid so little, while doing the same jobs as nurses like you. I'm also very interested as to why the 29k school I'm attending isn't 100k? Are there hidden fees of some kind that just POP out of nowhere? And I guess PTs are all miserable, right? Because we get paid so little? So are the PTs who make up to 250k like... making up numbers to attract naive health students like us?

I'm also happy to have been informed that you work at a high-calibEr hospital and that the difficulty of the pre-reQs for CRNA school is greater than our undergraduate pre-reqs. Yes, yes. Of course. CRNA must then be vastly superior to PT, judging from your tone. I'm so glad that PT school will be super easy to graduate from and that I'll just find myself complaining about how crappy my job is because I'm stuck in an abyss of debt.

And I'm also very elated that you managed to circumvent all the appropriate and corroborated points raised by such posters as TheOx777. I just wonder why you don't respond to the many points he raises. Hm...

I take back what I said in my earlier post, you don't need to do research about a field and occupation you already know so MUCH about and then come to a DPT board and inform everybody! Oh, no. Definitely not. Since those few PTs you work with already gave you the whole picture, not just a tiny wallet-sized snapshot of a side of PT.

So, Josh3325. I'm glad you've had you're fill and that you're satisified with the responses given to you by your fellow peers in the health industry. I do HOPE you come back and allow us to partake in your infinite wisdom and knowledge of PT!!! We would be like lost sheep without you, our shepherd!

Sincerely,

goyo1010

Last edited:

Seriously? Cmon man? Making more sense and proving your point? What point? No seriously, what point? The two PTs you know hate that they owe 100k+ and wish they would have gone the PA route? Ive been trying to stay out of this thread but you post that people are mad because youre proving your point and making more sense?

First off, I'm a happy dude I never get mad haha,

And secondly I know an RN who hates her job because she never got off work on time, she didn't like cleaning soiled pants, And just keeps complaining about All the "crappy" things she says she has to do. That sucks for all RNs because this is what all RNs go through. And she's pissed because she went to Keiser and they charged her ridiculous amount for her tuition so she can't just quit because she needs a steady job to pay her ridiculous debt off.

\

And secondly I know an RN who hates her job because she never got off work on time, she didn't like cleaning soiled pants, And just keeps complaining about All the "crappy" things she says she has to do. That sucks for all RNs because this is what all RNs go through. And she's pissed because she went to Keiser and they charged her ridiculous amount for her tuition so she can't just quit because she needs a steady job to pay her ridiculous debt off.

Then that means RN is a scam! Darn these allied health professions schools scamming the heck outta us!

Time to leave I'm making more sense and proving my point people are mad because I am proving my point and you are taking out anger and aggression owing so much money and making less than you owe. This is a classic example why we are in a recession.

bahaha! you obviously have a superiority complex. if you would get that chip off of your shoulder you would have some "real life" friends and not have time to troll the PT forum. Tootles!!

I wasn't quite sure until now, but it is official! The OP is trollin'! :troll:. I am going to forgo following my own rules in that previous sentence. Harder pre-reqs than me or many others on this thread?:laugh:

Son(meaning Josh), unless you are taking fractional dynamics, physical chemistry, calc III, and string theory physics for fun then plz do not ever comment on other ppl's coursework. According to allnursing schools.com the typical pre-reqs for CRNA are as follows:

• Pathophysiology
  • Biochemistry
  • Chemistry
  • Physics
  • Pharmacology
  • Principles of Anesthesia
  • Management and Advanced Practice Nursing
I imagine that there is marginal to great variability based on each program. Could the aforementioned courses be considered tough? Sure, depending on who you ask. That said, many people on this forum have had to take these courses(less the final two) and their advanced versions as well. Not to mention that I am currently finishing my M.S. degree that focuses heavily on advanced physiology, intermediary metabolism, and exercise biochemistry. As goyo stated, you have yet to comment on the aspects of PT that I mentioned before. Zilch!

Also have you been to the MD/DO, Pharmacy, Dental, Podiatry, and Veterinary forums? Each of these professions have their individual issues related to money, job satisfaction, saturation, etc. Is having 100k+ in student loans ideal? No. Will it crush me or leave me without the ability to live a more than comfortable lifestyle? UNEQUIVOCALLY NOT!

Please GO!!!

I hope this will give insight to this thread. I became a PT in 1995 and switched to RN profession in 2002 (not by choice) and later became a CRNA in 2005. I was forced to go back to school because I lost my job as a PT in 1998 when the Balanced Budget Act was implemented. This was the time when several companies laid off therapists and some actually was forced to shut down because of the decline in reimbursement. Being a foreign PT and not having granted a green card at that time, I found myself not able to stay legally in the US. I decided to switch my visa status into that of a student to be able to stay in the US. That is when I decided to study nursing. Had I not lost my job and my work visa, I definitely would have stayed in the profession. I had no complaints and always looked forward to working with my patients. At one time I even worked as an acute care PT in one hospital and an ICU RN in another until it was time for me to go back to CRNA school. I defintely enjoyed both jobs and did not favor one over the other. With regards to pay, I made more working as a PT than my RN job. I worked as a part-time PT while in CRNA school and quit practicing in 2006 when I got my CRNA license. I work full time as a CRNA now but remain licensed in PT. I definitely have no regrets that I went to PT school (back then it was a BSPT). I have not forgotten PT...in fact I am currently pursuing an ScD (Doctor of Science) in PT with the hope of becoming an adjunct PT professor someday in the same institution where I work as a CRNA. I still find my PT courses very challenging especially manual therapy and orthopedic medicine. As far as which is tougher, I would say that both PT and CRNA school are very demanding and hard to get into. PT school requires a lot of time and dedication in learning the human body (anatomy and kinesiology) while CRNA school requires a great deal of learning pharmacology and physiology. I would have to agree to the previous post that PT's are a little underpaid for all the schooling that they go through. This was not an issue when PT was only at the bachelor's level. However, as the amount of schooling and tuition increased, the issue about salary and being uderpaid became evident. But I also agree that no one should enter a health care profession because of salary. It should always be about what you are most passionate doing.

Ox-

Great post Jess. I have been involved in several businesses and know one thing to be true. If you can't really explain what you are doing, and what you are doing doesn't appear to be complicated, then you will be undervalued by customers.

I once owned a marine repair shop. Now I could perform a task that appeared to the customer to be merely turning a screw and tell him "Its fine now" and he would tell his friends "Damn I can't believe he charged me $50 just to turn a screw"....but if I explained that his fuel mixture was too rich and this in turn loaded up his spark plugs and prevented a clean combustion of the fuel which in turn decreased performance, and that by adjusting the idle mixture screw while listening with a trained ear and watching the RPM gauge I had clamped to his spark plugs wires I was able to correctly set his idle mixture giving him a smooth running engine......then I didn't charge him $50 for "just turning a screw", I charged him for my expertise to do the job right.

If any of you took a theory class in college, remember one of the phrases that was used "Perception is reality".

John, great story... It reminded me of the old joke about a furnace repairman charging $1 for turning a screw, and $499 for knowing which screw to turn.

Like you, I have been around the block a few times. Ever since I started working as a volunteer and shadowing PTs, I noticed how few explained to the patient what was going on (what brought on the condition, what muscles are affected, etc) and how the exercises or manipulations would help. Granted, not every patient may be interested in knowing all that stuff, but I believe that most would be more motivated if they understood the underlying details.

For those who have been working as PTs, what's your take?

this conversation was a classic! jajajajajajaja