BSW, MSW: Both? Need advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EmElle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a college freshman and I have thought a lot about majoring in social work. It seems like the perfect career for me. I also realize that many SW jobs require an MSW (especially those that I'm interested in).

I also know that a lot can change in four years. (Or less. A few years ago, I didn't even think about social work being an option for me. Now, I'm convinced that it's the perfect fit.) Getting a BSW would be specific; even though there are tons of specialized fields within social work, any job would still be just that: social work.

That being said, should I still get my BSW while planning on continuing my education and getting an MSW? Or, should I major in something besides social work during undergrad while filling the requirements to be accepted into an MSW program?

For those of you who have gotten your MSW, or are planning on it: What did you do?

(I know it's probably really soon to be worrying about this, but I was told that social work is one of those majors that you have to decide on early on during undergrad, because it's more structured than other majors.)

Any advice is greatly appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

When I decided to get my MSW I also decided to get my BSW because I was able to shave 15hrs off my MSW. If you get your BSW, you will be eligible to apply for advanced standing, which will allow you to skip some of the intro MSW courses.

With that said, you should choose the major you are most interested in. You only get to go to college once, so make the best out of it.

When I decided to get my MSW I also decided to get my BSW because I was able to shave 15hrs off my MSW. If you get your BSW, you will be eligible to apply for advanced standing, which will allow you to skip some of the intro MSW courses.

With that said, you should choose the major you are most interested in. You only get to go to college once, so make the best out of it.

Thanks. :)
I knew about the advanced standing programs, but I read somewhere that some people felt that they were too accelerated or they didn't get enough experience? So I was sort of worried about that.
I'm definitely interested in social work, though, so I'm leaning towards that.

Thanks. :)
I knew about the advanced standing programs, but I read somewhere that some people felt that they were too accelerated or they didn't get enough experience? So I was sort of worried about that.
I'm definitely interested in social work, though, so I'm leaning towards that.

Well, there are accelerated advanced standing programs, which can be completed in a year, but advanced standing doesn't have to be completed at an accelerated rate. Advanced standing only means that you get to skip the first 15 or so hours of the program, as they are courses you already took as an undergraduate. Accelerated, on the other hand, means that you complete the program in 12 consecutive months. It is very demanding.

I am an advanced standing, part-time student; the program will be two years, 45 hours. I don't feel that I am not getting enough experience because I am advanced standing. The only difference is that I entered the program without having to take the basic social work courses that students without a BSW had to take. I already took them. I have friends that are doing the accelerated program, and it is very fast paced. I chose part time because I wanted the ability to absorb what I was learning.