BU Acceptance Blog

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabedoc34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard back from BU? Please post your concerns, worries, information about the processing time and ofcourse, your acceptance! :D

Members don't see this ad.

wannabedoc34 said:
Has anyone heard back from BU? Please post your concerns, worries, information about the processing time and ofcourse, your acceptance! :D

hey wannabedoc,

I'm glad you started this thread. I'm getting my application together and hope to have it out by next week. Have you applied? If you did, how long ago? I hope its not too long of a process. I'd really like to have everything taken care of before I start focusing on the August MCAT.

Stratus2675 said:
hey wannabedoc,

I'm glad you started this thread. I'm getting my application together and hope to have it out by next week. Have you applied? If you did, how long ago? I hope its not too long of a process. I'd really like to have everything taken care of before I start focusing on the August MCAT.

I applied around 1st week of feb. I just contacted the application people and the reviewing process starts march 10th and decisions will be made by 21st. So hang in there :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied first week of Feb.

Got my big yellow admissions packet on March 18th. :D

The only thing that might keep me from going here is an acceptance from G-town.

I might have a lotta people beaten.. :D .. I sent all my app's in by december 1st (inculding BU) I'm still waiting my butt off. So far I'm headed to UMDNJ's MD BMS program, but I've heard that BUs in better. I can't remember the cirriculum off hand (med classes and/or interview at the end?)

waiting is boring.

jklasser17 said:
I applied first week of Feb.

Got my big yellow admissions packet on March 18th. :D

The only thing that might keep me from going here is an acceptance from G-town.

ITS YELLOW?!? I'm definitely watchin my mail like a hound! :D :D :D

Me too..I am still waiting. Got a question: What are you guys doing for financial aid?

got in, but i'm not sure if i want to go...i'm still waiting for other schools. they only give you 14 days to decide though....if you accept and pay the $200 are you obligated to go? in other words, is it binding if you reserve your seat?

wannabedoc34 said:
Me too..I am still waiting. Got a question: What are you guys doing for financial aid?

Congrats, guys! And for those of you waiting, call and harrass the office if you don't hear anything by April. I had to call often because I was sitting on an RFU acceptance and only had 14 days to respond. BU finally came through at the last minute (phew!). At that point, I had to get financial aid sorted out. I opted for the max in Federal loans ($18,500 through Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans), and the rest in a private loan from Citibank (the best recommended lender by the institution). Congrats again and good luck! Feel free to PM me if you guys have any questions.

you guys got your acceptances already???? I thought the deadline for the apps was end of march? for those of you that got in, would you mind listing ur stats?

I applied on January 19 and got my big yellow packet on March 20. Applying early probably made the difference here more than my stats; I've got an overall 3.33 GPA (>3.0 BCPM) and 32S MCAT.

Application arrived March 24th. Received admissions packet yesterday, 4/6. Maybe I hit the dean's consideration cycle just right? Stats are 3.4 GPA, 3.1 science, 29S MCAT.

Does anyone know about the relative admission rate? IE, I know Georgetown is 150 spots and they're expecting around 700 applications this year, but I know pretty much nothing about BU stats.

Does anybody know how BU works their reviewing process? I sent my app in Jan. I called about a week ago to check and they said that it still had not been reviewed. Does anyone have any insites on this? Also does anyone know what their avg scores and GPAs for acceptance are?
Cheers

Members don't see this ad :)
NumquamDede said:
Does anybody know how BU works their reviewing process? I sent my app in Jan. I called about a week ago to check and they said that it still had not been reviewed. Does anyone have any insites on this? Also does anyone know what their avg scores and GPAs for acceptance are?
Cheers

I sent my application in on feb. 1, and received my acceptance in the middle of march. I'd check and make sure you application is complete and that they are not waiting for anything. Word on the streets is that they are expecting a lot of apps this year, so you just may need to wait it out a bit and see what happens.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but it seems as though the avg. GPA is btwn 3.0-3.3 and the avg MCAT is around a 29-30. These programs seem to be getting more selective as they receive more applications.

Wow, that was long. Good luck, hope to see you in the fall!

monu1234 said:
you guys got your acceptances already???? I thought the deadline for the apps was end of march? for those of you that got in, would you mind listing ur stats?

3.0/3.0/31P

I sent them a picture, maybe that helped :D

Applying early is of the essence.

Just called this morning to check on the paperwork and Ms. Hall informed me that my acceptance packet was sent out 4/8! w00t! =P

Still waiting to hear back from GU, but definitely feels good to have something in hand. Seems like you only have 14 days to give BU your answer. Perhaps I should inform GU of my situation, yeah? Also, when do you find out which course schedule you are placed in? (the whole discussion about being on or off track with the med students)

Good luck to you all still awaiting word!

ragingbull said:
Still waiting to hear back from GU, but definitely feels good to have something in hand. Seems like you only have 14 days to give BU your answer. Perhaps I should inform GU of my situation, yeah? Also, when do you find out which course schedule you are placed in? (the whole discussion about being on or off track with the med students!

In the exact same position here. I don't know if bugging GU will get you in any faster there, as it seems to be a volume issue. Especially since the confirmation email mentioned not to ask about completion until a month after it's received...ack. I'm going to hold off as long as possible before sending in the deposit and hope GU decides soon on my file.

Do you guys that were just admitted to BU mind telling what your GPAs and MCATs were?
Cheers

NumquamDede said:
Do you guys that were just admitted to BU mind telling what your GPAs and MCATs were?
Cheers

I mentioned mine earlier in this thread: see my 4/7 post.

ragingbull said:
Just called this morning to check on the paperwork and Ms. Hall informed me that my acceptance packet was sent out 4/8! w00t! =P

Still waiting to hear back from GU, but definitely feels good to have something in hand. Seems like you only have 14 days to give BU your answer. Perhaps I should inform GU of my situation, yeah? Also, when do you find out which course schedule you are placed in? (the whole discussion about being on or off track with the med students)

Good luck to you all still awaiting word!

Hey Vic,

I called up BU and asked them about the scheduling issue.
She basically said that the admissions committee and advisors are pretty swamped with the enormous amount of apps this year and aren't really available to discuss course scheduling, etc...

She also said that they would be sending out pre-registered course scheduling info in June or July. So basically, the earlier you get in, you get better preference, which in turn i take to mean, on track with the med students.

To those of you awaiting word, take heart, I got accepted by BU and rejected from Loyola. It's just a waiting game.

Peace
dave

wannabedoc34 said:

I sent my application to BU out on March 30th and received my acceptance on April 11th.

yeaH, so i don't think i'm getting into BU which is kinda depressing, congrats to all of you that get in. although i haven't actually heard my denial, i've raised the white flag :mad: :( :oops:

monu1234 said:
yeaH, so i don't think i'm getting into BU which is kinda depressing, congrats to all of you that get in. although i haven't actually heard my denial, i've raised the white flag :mad: :( :oops:

Never give up hope, they accept people up until almost orientation, so you never know!

Good luck!

I know the administration has been very busy. Is it a good idea to contact them twice a month or should I just wait for the envelope (hopefully the yellow one)?

i would wait. When I called, they sounded a little irritated. I think people like us on the forum are calling them everyday. Someone should send them flowers or something. Those ladies must be so sick of us....

jklasser17 said:
Hey Vic,

I called up BU and asked them about the scheduling issue.
She basically said that the admissions committee and advisors are pretty swamped with the enormous amount of apps this year and aren't really available to discuss course scheduling, etc...

She also said that they would be sending out pre-registered course scheduling info in June or July. So basically, the earlier you get in, you get better preference, which in turn i take to mean, on track with the med students.

To those of you awaiting word, take heart, I got accepted by BU and rejected from Loyola. It's just a waiting game.

Peace
dave

I'm surprised that you didn't get into Loyola. YOu numbers look good. Did they offer you any reasons? If you had gotten in, which do you prefer, Boston or Loyola? (I'm still waiting on both, as well as G-town and RFUMS)

calbear15 said:
I'm surprised that you didn't get into Loyola. YOu numbers look good. Did they offer you any reasons? If you had gotten in, which do you prefer, Boston or Loyola? (I'm still waiting on both, as well as G-town and RFUMS)
Hey Calbear- please "allow and activate private messages" so I can respond to your private message question.

I have to go visit and reply to BU by 5/2, which is so not enough time for me. I'm trying to decide between BU, Loyola, and Bennington. But I'm wondering if you all are talking about the same program; are you talking about the MET program?

Hi everyone,

There is a ton of information (both positive and negative) in previous threads in this forum discussing the BU program - I suggest you read through them. One piece of advice that I believe most people who love and hate the program can agree on is if you are applying to med school during the first year of the program, DO NOT go to BU. The progam is not designed for first years to apply (even though when I met with the dean of the program, Dr. Franzblau, he told me BU would definitely support me applying as a first year). If you have specific questions, please feel free to PM me.

Good luck!

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to throw in my $.02 and say that BU is a great program! I have just finished it (2 academic years, but I definitely took my time on the thesis- lots of troubleshooting), and it worked very well for me. It was the only thing that changed on my application and is the difference between 1 interview the first time I applied and 8 interviews this time.

It's a lot of work, but you will meet some great people, and will learn a lot! Also, Chitown's advice is right- it won't really benefit you if you are planning to apply this year. Good luck to everyone!

Feel free to PM me with questions.

AnotherDork said:
Also, Chitown's advice is right- it won't really benefit you if you are planning to apply this year. Good luck to everyone!

Feel free to PM me with questions.

I have to respectfully disagree with this assessment. I new several GMSers who applied during the program and were successfully accepted to BU. I might, however, ammend the above statement to say that the program won't really benefit you with regards to other schools if applying that same year. But, I believe this to be true of all post-bac programs. There are schools on the east coast that recognize the caliber of student that programs such as GU and BU produce and so those schools will likely make a play for you right off the bat, as would GU or BU (pending adequate first semester grades). However, if you're from the west coast (for example), BUs rep might not extend that far out. Regardless, applying during the first year of ANY post-bac would delay your app because most schools would like to see your first semester transcript.

cammy1313 said:
I have to respectfully disagree with this assessment. I new several GMSers who applied during the program and were successfully accepted to BU. I might, however, ammend the above statement to say that the program won't really benefit you with regards to other schools if applying that same year. But, I believe this to be true of all post-bac programs. There are schools on the east coast that recognize the caliber of student that programs such as GU and BU produce and so those schools will likely make a play for you right off the bat, as would GU or BU (pending adequate first semester grades). However, if you're from the west coast (for example), BUs rep might not extend that far out. Regardless, applying during the first year of ANY post-bac would delay your app because most schools would like to see your first semester transcript.

Cammy, if you made it off the Albany and EVMS waitlists, would you to go either one of those over BU or UCI?

This is just to chime in. I was accepted last week. I applied December 30th. Stats include 3.4 overal 3.2 science (for the past 2.5 years with all upper level science classes 3.7 overall, 3.6 science) 1300 GRE. No mcat. Goodluck to everyone else. I hope to meet some people from SDN up there.

EDIT: if anyone has some info on places surrounding the med center please PM me. I'm finding super close places in southend.

ShyD33 said:
This is just to chime in. I was accepted last week. I applied December 30th. Stats include 3.4 overal 3.2 science (for the past 2.5 years with all upper level science classes 3.7 overall, 3.6 science) 1300 GRE. No mcat. Goodluck to everyone else. I hope to meet some people from SDN up there.

EDIT: if anyone has some info on places surrounding the med center please PM me. I'm finding super close places in southend.

South End or south Boston? Because as someone who lives in Beantown...they're not quite the same thing. The South End isn't the safest place to live, even though the bars are good. I'm thinking of living a little further out to save on rent and on my chance of being mugged. :p

Fusion said:
Cammy, if you made it off the Albany and EVMS waitlists, would you to go either one of those over BU or UCI?

Nope. But it's not likely that I will be pulled off anyway. I'm sufficiently far down on the EVMS waitlist, and I was under the impression that Albany only accepted one student off of the waitlist last year.

silverdime said:
South End or south Boston? Because as someone who lives in Beantown...they're not quite the same thing. The South End isn't the safest place to live, even though the bars are good. I'm thinking of living a little further out to save on rent and on my chance of being mugged. :p

I'm a pretty big boy, so I'd hate to see myself getting mugged. But if there's word like that around, then (at least some percent of) it must be true. Anyways... I'm referring to South End, directly next to BUMC. I don't want to commute, travel by bus, plane, train, or scooter... :laugh: But of course I'd like to live in a nice place.

Any suggestions other than southend that I could find a place. I'm only concerned with how close I am to school (as in less that a mile away). Let me know if there's any such places. (or else I'm in la-la-land)

ShyD33 said:
I'm a pretty big boy, so I'd hate to see myself getting mugged. But if there's word like that around, then (at least some percent of) it must be true. Anyways... I'm referring to South End, directly next to BUMC. I don't want to commute, travel by bus, plane, train, or scooter... :laugh: But of course I'd like to live in a nice place.

Any suggestions other than southend that I could find a place. I'm only concerned with how close I am to school (as in less that a mile away). Let me know if there's any such places. (or else I'm in la-la-land)

Ok, slight disclaimer: I'm female. So I know I shouldn't go play in Southie without friends. As a guy, you have a few more options.

I found this website to be pretty handy when considering neighborhoods, at least in terms of commute times. It tends to make every neighborhood sound perfect, though, so beware of the description. On the page I think there's also a link to average rent costs as well.

One of my letters of rec took FOREVER to get to me and I have the app packet in hand right now (April 22nd!) Should I even bother applying? I thought this was rolling admissions . . do you think I am too late??

MariaLaNasa said:
One of my letters of rec took FOREVER to get to me and I have the app packet in hand right now (April 22nd!) Should I even bother applying? I thought this was rolling admissions . . do you think I am too late??

You may not be too late, but I would send that app in ASAP!!

Is anyone here planning on doing the dual degree program with Public health? I got into both programs and I'm going to do it but I'm not sure how helpful it's going to be as far as applying to med schools, I'm sure it won't hurt but does anyone know how favorably they look at public health degrees. Also is anyone planning on taking any summer classes in the post bac program, if you are please let me know how you went about finding the classes. thanks,

MariaLaNasa said:

I know at least a dozen people who applied last summer and were accepted in a few weeks time. Three of them applied less than a month before school started!

MA-MBA program? Can anyone give me more information on that? I'm interested in doing this after the MA program (during lag year).

wannabedoc34 said:
MA-MBA program? Can anyone give me more information on that? I'm interested in doing this after the MA program (during lag year).

can anyone help ????

and please continue to post your acceptances! :thumbup:

I received my acceptance to the MA program on 4/25- I submitted my application in the middle of January.. Those of you who are still waiting, don't lose hope! I was also accepted to the BU School of Public Health for the MPH program the week before. I plan to do the MA next year and then do the MPH while I apply to med schools (2nd year). If I don't get into med school then I plan to work in public health- so it's kind of a fallback for me- but I think adcoms like MPH students since they tend to know a lot about the healthcare system. I think it will probably just add a little something extra to my application..

MA/MBA Dual Degree Program

The MA/MBA dual degree program offers an opportunity to combine a broad-based program in the medical sciences with professional study in health care management and administration. The combined degree program reduces what would otherwise be three years of study for two graduate degrees to two years, including two summer sessions. The MBA with concentration in health care management taken as a separate degree requires completion of 64 credits. The MA in Medical Sciences, taken separately, requires the completion of 32 credits. The joint MA/MBA, however, is awarded upon completion of 80 credits, distributed as described below.

Applicants to the MA/MBA program must meet the requirements for admission to an MA program in the Division of Graduate Medical Sciences. In addition, special requirements for the School of Management include: submission of the official scores on the Graduate Management Admissions Test and completion of undergraduate introductory studies in the humanities and social sciences.

Applications

Students apply by completing an application to the Division of Graduate Medical Sciences and an application to the School of Management, indicating on each form that admission to the joint degree program is desired. Letters of recommendation, test scores, and transcripts must accompany one of the applications and are shared by both admissions committees.

Students already enrolled in either program who decide to pursue a joint degree may, with the counsel of their advisor, apply for formal admission to the other School. Upon acceptance, the director of the joint program reviews the applicant's transcript and advises what courses may be taken to complete the combined dual degree requirements.

Degree Requirements

Candidates usually register for two semesters in the Division of Graduate Medical Sciences (GMS) and two semesters and two summer sessions in the Graduate School of Management (GSM), but may cross-register and take courses in both Schools in any semester. For the MBA degrees, students must successfully complete nine core courses (36 credits), five special courses in health care management, and 8 credits taken as SMG electives. For the MA in Medical Sciences, students must complete 14 credits of core courses and at least 8 credits from selected electives. Any remaining credits may be taken in either the School of Medicine or the School of Management. Up to 8 elective credits may be taken as directed study or research courses in the School of Management. Core and elective course requirements may vary slightly depending upon the individual student's academic background and selection of courses.

Thesis

A thesis is required. The thesis is to be based on research carried out by the candidate under direct supervision of a member of the graduate faculty selected by the candidate from the Division of Graduate Medical Sciences or the Graduate School of Management. The research project may involve library research only or a combination of library and laboratory (field) research. The thesis may be developed from a course paper with approval.

URL:http://www.bu.edu/bulletins/gms/item03/#anchor20

Anyone visited the campus recently?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

got my acceptance packet today. couldn't believe it. I've been rejected by a bunch of schools so far: Loyola, Northwestern, UConn, Drexel... It was such a blow to my confidence that I think my pen*s shrank several inches; it can finally come out of hiding now.

wannabedoc34 said:

Just one thing to keep in mind when pursuing the dual degrees at BU is the cost. I considered the MA/MPH but thought that pursuing the extra degree at a more cost-effective school later on would leave less of a dent in my pocketbook. The MBA is especially expensive. I remeber when on the duck tour around Boston the tour guide pointed out that BU's business school is the most expensive in the country at something like $60K a year. Yikes! But the convenience of this dual degree approach is so very alluring.