BU MAMS vs. Georgetown SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CMar830

Southerner til 2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd love to hear thoughts from anyone who had to make the decision between BU MAMS and Georgetown's SMP, or are currently trying to make the decision. For months, I was on G'Town's bandwagon because it seems to be the 'favored' one, but I recently realized that I can't figure out why.

Mostly I've heard that people choose it because it's a definite one-year track, and many students apply to med schools during that same year. BU's program seems to discourage applying while in the program (at least if you're planning to do the one-year track).

Has anybody else gotten the sense that, if accepted to both, most people go with Georgetown? Anyone have any concrete ideas why? I'm starting to really like the BU idea, but just want to make sure I'm seeing all angles.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

CMar830 said:
I'd love to hear thoughts from anyone who had to make the decision between BU MAMS and Georgetown's SMP, or are currently trying to make the decision. For months, I was on G'Town's bandwagon because it seems to be the 'favored' one, but I recently realized that I can't figure out why.

Mostly I've heard that people choose it because it's a definite one-year track, and many students apply to med schools during that same year. BU's program seems to discourage applying while in the program (at least if you're planning to do the one-year track).

Has anybody else gotten the sense that, if accepted to both, most people go with Georgetown? Anyone have any concrete ideas why? I'm starting to really like the BU idea, but just want to make sure I'm seeing all angles.

Thanks!!

There are quite a few people who got accepted into both and decided on BU.

jklasser17 said:
There are quite a few people who got accepted into both and decided on BU.

I don't doubt it, and it was not my intention to diss BU's program (considering I'm pretty sure I'll be choosing to go there). But after reading hundreds of posts, I can't help but get the feeling that Georgetown is the favored SMP, so I'm simply asking why. If this isn't true, I'd be happy to hear it.

Members don't see this ad :)
There was actually a thread on here a few months ago about this topic. I actually chose GTSMP over BU MAMS for a number of reasons.
First, as you said, the program at GT is designed to avoid a glide year, whereas in BU it is more of a 2 year program, although some people opt to finish in 1.
Second, the GTSMP has been in existence longer, thus they have more hookups with schools, so that gives you a number of other schools to apply to other than just GT.
Third, location, I simply would rather be living in D.C. than in Boston (but this is also because I have family out there :) ).

One thing that BU has over GT is that the med school is ranked higher 28 to 56 or something like that. But I was told that it pretty hard to get into BU SOM from the MAMS just as it is hard to get into GT SOM from the SMP so I'm banking on the fact that the SMP has more connections to other schools.

Good luck deciding!

Tommyk7 said:
There was actually a thread on here a few months ago about this topic. I actually chose GTSMP over BU MAMS for a number of reasons.
First, as you said, the program at GT is designed to avoid a glide year, whereas in BU it is more of a 2 year program, although some people opt to finish in 1.
Second, the GTSMP has been in existence longer, thus they have more hookups with schools, so that gives you a number of other schools to apply to other than just GT.
Third, location, I simply would rather be living in D.C. than in Boston (but this is also because I have family out there :) ).

One thing that BU has over GT is that the med school is ranked higher 28 to 56 or something like that. But I was told that it pretty hard to get into BU SOM from the MAMS just as it is hard to get into GT SOM from the SMP so I'm banking on the fact that the SMP has more connections to other schools.

Good luck deciding!

Yeah, I thought I remembered seeing a forum like this a few months ago too, but now when I look at all the threads, they only go back to the thread that last had a posting on 05/03/06... isn't that odd?

And thanks for your input -- it's exactly those types of things I'd like to hear!