BU masters program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakewood

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember reading about a new program at Boston University a year or two ago but I can't remember what it was called, and I can't find it online!

It was a masters program (I believe affiliated with the school of medicine) that was something like behavioral psychopharmacology... or... something that sounded like that.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'd like to read more about the program if only I could find it.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been looking for a few days and as soon as I ask, I found it on my own.

It's called Mental Health and Behavioral Medicine.

I don't know much about licensure as a counselor. This program prepares students to take the NCMHCE or the NCE. How does this certification compare to the licensure that a doctoral level psychologist is eligible for? It appears that private practice is an option, but beyond that I know very little. Any information or advice would be appreciated.

A friend of mine considered that program. She said you might as well throw your money into the wind. It's not worth it. She spent two years as a research assistant at MGH, got some publications, and is now in a clinical psychology PhD program in Chicago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would your friend say that?

Obviously you can have success through other avenues, but what does that have to do with this program? I would be interested to hear opinions, positive and negative, about this program, and/or the degree itself.

I currently go to BU. While I'm not in this program I've heard a lot about it and a lot of ONLY good things. So I'm really not sure where the poster saying it's a waste is coming from.

It's a great program if you want a fusion of the medical and psychological aspects of counseling all in one program and it enables you to be eligible for licensure once you complete your M.A. and if you look at any job postings in the city of Boston, there are TONS for LMHC's.

I'm a little disappointed with some posts on this forum lately kind of putting down other peoples career decisions because they are alternative and not your traditional Ph.D. program. I see people saying if you get a PsyD from a professional school, or sometimes JUST a PsyD at all that you are buying your degree (If this is the case I apparently 'bought' my Bachelor's degree with the rest of America and since I went to a Catholic high school, well I 'bought' my H.S. diploma as well). Getting an M.A. that leads to licensure (not the type of M.A. I am in) is not something I will put down just because it's not the path I am choosing.

I'm not trying to start up anything here, but a lot of people come onto this board really looking for quality information (and believe me, there is SO much of that here, really excellent and informative posts) but I think at the same time people have to be a little more careful to quickly put down a programs or degrees...I guess there are always stigmas in certain fields..its just kinda unfortunate that people are so quick to dismiss certain things.

Jon

I currently go to BU. While I'm not in this program I've heard a lot about it and a lot of ONLY good things. So I'm really not sure where the poster saying it's a waste is coming from.

It's a great program if you want a fusion of the medical and psychological aspects of counseling all in one program and it enables you to be eligible for licensure once you complete your M.A. and if you look at any job postings in the city of Boston, there are TONS for LMHC's.

I'm a little disappointed with some posts on this forum lately kind of putting down other peoples career decisions because they are alternative and not your traditional Ph.D. program. I see people saying if you get a PsyD from a professional school, or sometimes JUST a PsyD at all that you are buying your degree (If this is the case I apparently 'bought' my Bachelor's degree with the rest of America and since I went to a Catholic high school, well I 'bought' my H.S. diploma as well). Getting an M.A. that leads to licensure (not the type of M.A. I am in) is not something I will put down just because it's not the path I am choosing.

I'm not trying to start up anything here, but a lot of people come onto this board really looking for quality information (and believe me, there is SO much of that here, really excellent and informative posts) but I think at the same time people have to be a little more careful to quickly put down a programs or degrees...I guess there are always stigmas in certain fields..its just kinda unfortunate that people are so quick to dismiss certain things.

Jon

I agree Jon,

I also went to BU's M.A. program and I feel like alot of people on these forums have a tendency to be a bit "snobbish" towards us. I actually was in a Psy.D. program in Washington D.C. and had I stayed there, I would have been graduating this May with a Doctorate just like the Ph.D. people. I made my decision to transfer out based on program fit and my changing goals, NOT because the degree wasn't challenging. The Advanced Psychopathology class was the hardest class I have ever taken, and a majority of the class either failed or got C's. So YES, you have to pay for your Psy.D., but it doesn't mean an easy "A".

Furthermore, an LMHC is just as profitable as is any other practicing physician. The only thing different is that you don't have a "Ph.D." after your name, which some people find "not as official". However, it IS practically speaking. So everyone go ahead with whatever path you choose to get to your goals. There are multiple ways of getting to any goal and good luck to all of you who are not fortunate enough to be a "chosen" Ph.D.

I don't know anything about LMHCs. How does being a LMHC differ from holding a doctorate, or LCSW, or and what kind of limitations are there? I admittedly don't understand the exact differences between these credentials. I do not even understand what qualifies AS a LMHC so I would appreciate if that could be operationalized as well. THANKS!