BU Master's Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazy4clana

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know about the master's program at Boston Univeristy if you don't have the qualifications for their dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

which one? pretty sure I know wut ur talking about but I don't recall the name of the program....

Its the M.A medical science. Predents concentration in oral science or biology. The predent component is relatively new. You get to take some courses with dental students. Check out the websitehttp://cobalt.bumc.bu.edu/current/Catalog/medsci/masters.htm

If you can, attend an open house. I did before I got the acceptance as a contingency plan.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its the M.A medical science. Predents concentration in oral science or biology. The predent component is relatively new. You get to take some courses with dental students. Check out the websitehttp://cobalt.bumc.bu.edu/current/Catalog/medsci/masters.htm

If you can, attend an open house. I did before I got the acceptance as a contingency plan.

what he said.......there's several students in my class that completed this program....

yes, i have some friends in the program. its 2 years in length (i think you can do it in 1.5 though), and its lab-based thesis required. you can take certain courses with first year dental students. i believe there is an oral biology concentration that you can do. the program is also quite expensive, its a private school in a major city.

So after successfully completing the MA, can you enter the dental school/medical school directly without applying? And do you have to retake the courses that you've already completed?

So after successfully completing the MA, can you enter the dental school/medical school directly without applying? And do you have to retake the courses that you've already completed?

No, you still have to apply. The retakes are up to the schools that you get accepted.

Usually it's a contingency program where if you don't get into dental or medical school, you can take the same courses and get an MA. If you pass all of the classes then you are admitted into their dental or medical school, I guess this one doesn't give a seat? What are the benefits, are you seen as a more competitive applicant?

Usually it's a contingency program where if you don't get into dental or medical school, you can take the same courses and get an MA. If you pass all of the classes then you are admitted into their dental or medical school, I guess this one doesn't give a seat? What are the benefits, are you seen as a more competitive applicant?

Doing a masters that is affiliated with a dental school will also allow you to network with the professors and admissions staff.

how much does it cost? im canadian btw..is it 75K a year like actual dental school?

Does BU take all of the classes? Can you complete the program at the same time as someone who went directly to dental school if all of your credits transfer (MA and dental school in 4 years)?

Does BU take all of the classes? Can you complete the program at the same time as someone who went directly to dental school if all of your credits transfer (MA and dental school in 4 years)?

Not sure about which (if any) didactic courses they will transfer towards dental school but it's not going to shave any time off your graduation. You won't be doing preclinical classes as a masters student.

So if they do transfer any credits it would just give you a lighter schedule your first year (which is still nice) but you won't start off as a D2 or anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes to all those who answered above.

there is no guarantee of acceptance into bu dental if you do masters at BU. your performance in the masters program will help you, not anything else (as in, they don't give preference to BU masters students).
you can take some classes with the d1 students, but there is a limit on transfers, and only into bu dental at that. you'll have a hard time transferring those credits if you get into another school.
when i last checked, the tuition was something like ~$35k a year, ouch.

good luck.

the people in my class that completed the masters program still had to take the courses again as a DMD........i believe it included physio, biochem, anatomy perhaps.....not too sure which classes, but i know 4 sure they had to complete them again, which in a sense would actually make for a lighter load just b/c ur being tested over the same material twice......that would be kizzake.

I wonder how many people apply to this program with the intent of going to BU, I mean it doesn't seem THAT competitve to get into with their stats and expensive price tag (more expensive than their med school!) Wouldn't be the same as applying to the school directly?

I'm not knocking BU, I think it's a great school that hopefully accepts me in the future!

Apply early and call them often eventually you will get accepted. Many (if not all) come off the wait-list.

Sorry for the bump, I had a few more questions...

^ The above poster, do most people get off the waitlist for the dental school or masters program?

Also, are you sure the bichem/phys/neuro classes don't transfer? I don't see why people would pay twice for the exact same class that dental students took. That's wasting a whole lot of money and time! Is anyone here currently in the program?

Can you apply to the dental school and the master's program at the same time?

Last edited:
did you check the postbac forum for the BU GMS thread? its mostly med kids but there are a few predents on there...

OP, have you tried calling them? Maybe if you are not getting the answer you want from people on this forum, calling may be the smartest option for you.

Call them or even better go to their open house. They have open houses every year. Find out when the next one is.

OP, have you tried calling them? Maybe if you are not getting the answer you want from people on this forum, calling may be the smartest option for you.

A) They don't have any contact info listed, or else I would have called/contacted them.

B) I wanted to see if there was anyone here who was in the program. It's easier and faster to get answers here.