BU vs. GW-/part-time vs. full-time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JP1120

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Either read below or just comment on your opinions of GW/BU, and/or going to school part-time/full-time... Thanks!

I'm trying to decide whether to go to GW or BU for international health (global health at GW)...

I think I'm leaning towards BU because I feel like they have more International Health classes to choose from, plus they've been around longer than the GW Global Health program. Both are great schools (my opinion) in good locations, so I think its a win-win situation either way.

Also, any input on whether going to school part time is a bad idea?

I think I may work full-time and go to school part-time in order to offset the costs of going to an expensive school. The reasons I have for doing so include: Gaining more work experience, graduating with less loans, developing stronger relationships with faculty, and basically not rushing through coursework.

I also plan on attending the Peace Corps after getting my masters, which means no income for the following 27 months.

The negative part about going to school part-time is that it prolongs the time until I actually begin working outside of school.

Any thoughts from any other MPH students or potential students??

FYI- I'm 22 with one year of work experience, so I think I'm at the age where I can take my time, regardless of whether I decide to get more education or degrees in future. Anyone agree?

Feel free to comment, as I am sure (or at least hope) other people are going through the same type of decisions. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should go to BU for your global health instead of at GWU. I am an alumni from GWU MPH (I did my focus in Epidemiology) and I had heard that the Global Health program at GWU is not so strong. You already are leaning towards BU so I don't think it will be a difficult decision to make.

Lot of people I know work full-time while studying part time for their MPH so I think you should be fine.

Good Luck! :)
-A

Thanks for the response and the advice! I think I have pretty much decided on BU, now all I have to do is search for a job in Boston.

Congrats on your degree from GWU... I really enjoyed visiting the SPHHS while I was at the Open House and listened to a lot of their accomplished alumni speak highly of the school and faculty.

Have a good weekend!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to chime in about jobs. If you work full time as a BU employee, you get free tuition for up to 8 credits (there's a stipulation that you can't take more than that amount if you're a full time employee, so you would have to be part time obviously). Plus, I believe that when you do your taxes, you'll be taxed on whatever tuition you didn't pay for (but obviously the taxes on the tuition will be less than the actual tuition, so it might still be worth it). I know lots of people who do this in our program - its not that hard to find a job at BU and you'll take a little longer in the program, but they're evening courses so its not going to really be a time conflict.

hope this helps! and if you do decide on BU, Welcome!

Just wanted to chime in about jobs. If you work full time as a BU employee, you get free tuition for up to 8 credits (there's a stipulation that you can't take more than that amount if you're a full time employee, so you would have to be part time obviously). Plus, I believe that when you do your taxes, you'll be taxed on whatever tuition you didn't pay for (but obviously the taxes on the tuition will be less than the actual tuition, so it might still be worth it). I know lots of people who do this in our program - its not that hard to find a job at BU and you'll take a little longer in the program, but they're evening courses so its not going to really be a time conflict.

hope this helps! and if you do decide on BU, Welcome!

So true. Let me add on that alot of the jobs at Boston Medical Center (if you look there) don't count as being a BU employee if you are trying to go the route of least tutition. Just putting that out as a FYI because that is what happened to me.

So true. Let me add on that alot of the jobs at Boston Medical Center (if you look there) don't count as being a BU employee if you are trying to go the route of least tutition. Just putting that out as a FYI because that is what happened to me.

Thanks for the advice! I'm actually job searching now... although I don't know how difficult that will be considering I live in Cincinnati, and plan on moving to Boston in or around the month of July.

I'm currently a clinical research assistant (psychiatry), so I'm looking for something similar albeit in any health field.

I'll have to check out Boston Medical Center :)

How can I find a job as clinical research assistant? I need a job. Please help. Thanks
Thanks for the advice! I'm actually job searching now... although I don't know how difficult that will be considering I live in Cincinnati, and plan on moving to Boston in or around the month of July.

I'm currently a clinical research assistant (psychiatry), so I'm looking for something similar albeit in any health field.

I'll have to check out Boston Medical Center :)

How can I find a job as clinical research assistant? I need a job. Please help. Thanks

Hi! I'm not sure what advice I can give you. I think I may have lucked out. Straight from undergrad I started checking advertisements in my local paper and online. I checked a lot of university and hospital websites as well b/c they tend to have research positions. I think one of the best ways is to have a really well-written resume. I received a call-back, had two interviews with a total of about 4 different people, and eventually got the job. Specifically I would tailor your resume to highlight relevant research or healthcare experience if you have any (undergrad research experience, volunteering, etc.)

Another good way is through networking. A lot of (if not most) jobs are acquired through word of mouth and contacts.

Hope this helps. I've only worked for about a year so I'm probably not the best source of information...