BU vs. Tufts vs. BIDMC vs. Partners

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Partners: top notch training, very friendly/accessible faculty, depth in every specialty
 
Partners is much less malignant than you might think. I am a resident in Boston, and I encourage you to see for yourself.

Is it a cush program? No, but I certainly wouldn't call it malignant.

Also, what the hell does "old money" mean in reference to BIDMC? I did my internship there, and I have no idea what rotator22 is talking about.
 
I'm a resident in the neuro program at BU and it's great. We staff all consults and admissions with attendings, even in the middle of the night, so there's always a learning opportunity. And the range of pathology we see here is amazing - we've had 3 cases in the last 4 months of diseases that some people don't see in their entire residency. Yes, we work hard, but less than some other programs in the city and it's worth every minute. I don't want to bad mouth the other programs, because there are plusses and minuses to each, but I interviewed at all of them and chose to come here, and would make the same choice over again if I had to.
 
Oh, and I would also look at the UMass program, if you haven't yet. (Not sure if you only want to be in Boston.)
 
I am a PGY-3 resident at Tufts and am happy with the program. There are many positive aspects of the program. The clinical training is great. We rotate at three different hospitals-St. Elizabeth's, Tufts Medical Center and Lahey. We get a good exposure to a wide range of neurologic disorders between the three sites. St. Elizabeth's is very strong with neuro-muscular disorders and we have a four bed neuro ICU where we manage patients critically ill from conditions such as GBS, myasthenia exacerbations, strokes and intra-cerebral hemorrhages. Tufts gives us a good exposure to infectious diseases in a diverse patient body. Lahey is a high volume stroke center. The residents all get along great. The attendings (there are about fifty) love to teach and are very supportive. I have never had any malignant experiences with attendings. The residents do well with fellowship placement. I think it is a great program to consider.
 
Regarding Boston Programs,

I would agree with Partners being the best training in the city. My sense of the programs is they fall in this order:

1. Partners--best all-around training and research, big names
2. Tufts -- great clinical training and fellowship placements
3. BIDMC --good opportunities for research
4. BU--residents not as happy

I don't know too much about the Umass program.