BU vs. UAB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fenwayfan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am currently trying to decide between the programs in IH at BU and UAB. I haven't yet heard back about financial aid from BU, but I know that regardless of how much I'm offered it will be an expensive venture, and as an Alabama resident I could attend UAB for practically nothing. Can anyone speak to both of these programs (the IH aspect of the Epidemiology concentration at UAB in particular), relationships with professors, opportunities for research, job prospects? I'm having a really hard time deciding! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am currently trying to decide between the programs in IH at BU and UAB. I haven't yet heard back about financial aid from BU, but I know that regardless of how much I'm offered it will be an expensive venture, and as an Alabama resident I could attend UAB for practically nothing. Can anyone speak to both of these programs (the IH aspect of the Epidemiology concentration at UAB in particular), relationships with professors, opportunities for research, job prospects? I'm having a really hard time deciding! Thanks!

I recently graduated from UAB a couple years ago. Honestly, an masters from either one will take you where ever you want to go. I recommend saving some money and go with the cheaper route. The amount of money you will make with an MPH isn't enough to justify taking more debt for the same degree you could get for cheaper. If money isn't a concern then decide based on which school and location you like the best. Despite what people say there isn't much difference in earning potential between MPH's from most of the schools of public health. Earning potential seems to be linked directly to location and the type of job whether it be federal, state, private, etc...It's really what you make of it.

I liked UABs program..I chose not to go there, but I can definitely see the perks..the Sparkman center for global health seems like they can give you great opportunities to practice internationally