Buccal mucosa harvest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toofache32

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an oral surgery resident who has done a few buccal mucosa harvests for the Urology residents in reconstruction of urethral strictures.

Question: what are the other sources of tissue you guys use to reconstruct the urethra? What are the reasons you choose to use buccal mucosa?

Members don't see this ad.

toofache32 said:
I'm an oral surgery resident who has done a few buccal mucosa harvests for the Urology residents in reconstruction of urethral strictures.

Question: what are the other sources of tissue you guys use to reconstruct the urethra? What are the reasons you choose to use buccal mucosa?

According to Campbell's, you can use non-hair bearing skin, bladder mucosa, or buccal mucosa. However, the majority of cases I have seen have used buccal mucosa, which does not shrink like bladder mucosa post-tranplant. In addition, buccal mucosa is nice because you prefer a tissue which is normally in contact with fluid to maintain a barrier. Finally, buccal mucosa has a highly vascular lamina propria, which is crucial in the process of implanting a free graft.

I hope this answers your question.

toofache32 said:

things used in past are pedicle prepucial skin, scrotal pedicled skin, penile skin... buccal has no chance of groing hair later in life and handles very well.