Budget cuts! Grrr!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TooCool

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I planned to take a buttload of classes in the summer so I can be closer to applying to PT school but my state is so damn broke that they are canceling summer courses. Only those in programs like nursing, rad tech and dental hygienist and the like are able to take summer classes. I am soo bummed! It wont be like 2013 til I apply :( That will be when I am 33.

Anyone else facing the same thing?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry about being forced to wait to apply for school, but if it's any consolation, I just got into PT school and I am 33. :)

Try not to worry about it, there's many PT students in their 30's. I had one gal in my class who was in her 50's, and a few in their 40's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah you guys are right. It just sucks that I gotta be stuck in my sucky ass job longer, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Ill survive.

Im just about finishing my observation hours and wont be applying til 2013 so should I get a LOR from them when Im done or wait til 2013?! What if the PTs I shadowed are no longer there? Any one have any suggestions on how I should go about that?

bummer, that sucks about your summer classes. there's nowhere else you can take them?? not sure what classes you need, but check with other schools to see if they offer online classes. things like medical terminology or psych classes are usually offered so maybe that could help you chip away at the remaining prereqs.

as far as LORs go... in my opinion, i would ask the pts to write the letters for you now, while their experience with you is still fresh and everybody's still around and all that. you should know that on ptcas, the letters are uploaded electronically, and your pts would have to do it themselves. so maybe you should do something like have them email you the document so you can keep track of it yourself, and then when the time comes for you to apply, you could send the document back to them when you ask them if they could upload it for you.

I hear you, there are a lot of not-so-great (ok really bad) things going on in my state too... perhaps we are in the same state ;) and it has REALLY affected our scheduling/registration abilities (I currently work at a university).

It's stressful for everyone, so I'm going to cross my fingers that you can check out some community colleges for some things and usually there's always a "waitlist" for the other courses-- you can get on that super early for fall/spring! :)

bummer, that sucks about your summer classes. there's nowhere else you can take them?? not sure what classes you need, but check with other schools to see if they offer online classes. things like medical terminology or psych classes are usually offered so maybe that could help you chip away at the remaining prereqs.

as far as LORs go... in my opinion, i would ask the pts to write the letters for you now, while their experience with you is still fresh and everybody's still around and all that. you should know that on ptcas, the letters are uploaded electronically, and your pts would have to do it themselves. so maybe you should do something like have them email you the document so you can keep track of it yourself, and then when the time comes for you to apply, you could send the document back to them when you ask them if they could upload it for you.
All the community colleges' summer sessions are pretty much canceled. The prereqs I still need are Chem and physics so I couldnt take it online even if they were offered.

Thanks for the advice about the LORs. I also check with what the PTs have to say about that.

I hear you, there are a lot of not-so-great (ok really bad) things going on in my state too... perhaps we are in the same state ;) and it has REALLY affected our scheduling/registration abilities (I currently work at a university).

It's stressful for everyone, so I'm going to cross my fingers that you can check out some community colleges for some things and usually there's always a "waitlist" for the other courses-- you can get on that super early for fall/spring! :)
Broke ass Cali :p

Yeah you guys are right. It just sucks that I gotta be stuck in my sucky ass job longer, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Ill survive.

Im just about finishing my observation hours and wont be applying til 2013 so should I get a LOR from them when Im done or wait til 2013?! What if the PTs I shadowed are no longer there? Any one have any suggestions on how I should go about that?

One of the PTs I shadowed had moved, but I was able to get current contact information from the clinic and still got a letter from her. It wasn't too hard.

Also, did you look around at other schools? I am taking my last pre-req in summer school and am having to transfer (move in with family)in order to get that one class. Kinda sucky, but worth it to start sooner!

Sorry about being forced to wait to apply for school, but if it's any consolation, I just got into PT school and I am 33. :)

It's OK, I just got and am 37. I turn 38 before classes start, and since I'm in a part-time 4 year program, will be 42 when I graduate. But the way I figure it, I can be 42 and going through the motions in a job I don't like, or 42 and a DPT in a job that I've wanted since I was a teenager. Plus, I look good for 37 so by 42 I'll still look 35 :laugh:

I don't know your situation but another option might be working you're tail end off in the summer for money and then reducing the hours you work in the week to take more classes during the school year. Just a thought!