Budget for hobbies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maplecookie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, just for some context I did undergrad in a pretty big university with clubs and resources for pretty much any hobby you could think of so it didn't take a lot of money to engage in anything. However, I'm matriculating this year to a smaller university and from what I can tell they really don't have many clubs and so I'm looking at activities outside of campus. I was wondering what people in med school usually use/how much of their budget they allot monthly to hobbies in general?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on how important your hobbies are. I love to hunt and fish and I would not be able to stay sane unless I can get out about once a week. From a financial standpoint its not good for me to spend 1-2k a year on my hobbies, but from a wellness standpoint I am absolutely making the right decision.

Now if you like to play guitar for instance, and want to buy a brand new Taylor but you could get by with what you already have...different story I would say.

I budget around 150-200mo, my hobbies aren't cheap, but I make those 2 days a month worth it. However as result, I don't eat out or drink alcohol to save money. All about balancing your budget.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, thank you for your answers! I tend to be very introverted and stay at home so I'm trying to be more active and find activities that will get me outside more especially since I will be in a pretty small inaugural class so there aren't a lot of classmates or any upperclassman. The "hobby money" that I am talking about would be more of baseline participation fees, definitely not for splurging on the highest quality equipment. I thought $100-150 would be too much but now I'm thinking it might be manageable, I will have to see how my budget works out.

Trick Question: You won't need to worry about financing your hobbies because you won't have any time for them.

Reactions: 1 users
Trick Question: You won't need to worry about financing your hobbies because you won't have any time for them.

Lol that's also a thing but hopefully I can have some sort of work-life balance

Pick one or two hobbies. That’s it. You won’t be in the library studying every day for 16 hours, but you also won’t have much time for more than one or two hobbies.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely err on the side of too much on hobbies rather than not enough. It is important to give your self a balance of hard work and fun diversions, especially when life turns up the heat.