Buffalo OOS to Instate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caitirose

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any current Buffalo students that gained instate residency want to share their experience with the process? It seems fairly straight forward, but I wanted to hear what others had to do to gain residency before I commit to the school. From what I understand, as long as I live off campus and change my driver's license over to NY state I will be able to gain NY resident status for tuition. Is this correct or is there more to the process?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be going through the process this summer. It's definitely more than just changing your driver's license. You have to submit a lot of paperwork. The application is pretty long. You have to submit multiple utility bills that prove you've been there a year, voter registration, drivers license, your lease agreement showing 1 year, tax returns, parent information if you're still a dependent, etc etc. I don't know if people get rejected a lot or not. I'm just hoping like hell I get approved for the fall semester.