Buffalo or Stony Brook?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school?

• Stony Brook

Votes: 24 61.5%
  • Buffalo

Votes: 15 38.5%

• Total voters

chip_skylark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far I've crossed out Columbia, Penn (w/ scholarship), NYU, UDM, and Michigan. I'm trying to decide between my state schools, but I think it's gonna be a tough call.

Price is around the same for both schools. I know that at the end of the day it's really a personal decision, but I want to know what you guys think.

Possibly looking to specialize, so which school is better for that?
SB has a smaller class size. Does that make it more competitive?
Location? They both seem to be in the middle of nowhere for me since I'm from the city.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Stony is about 30k more for all four years, they have more fees than Buffalo. So total estimate is ~310k vs 281k

Stony is about 30k more for all four years, they have more fees than Buffalo. So total estimate is ~310k vs 281k

Oh right, I was only looking at the tuition. Cost of living is probably higher in SB as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh right, I was only looking at the tuition. Cost of living is probably higher in SB as well.

That too, housing is about double over there. It was a fantastic school though. But I think it would be very easy to cut your housing down a few thousand a year in Buffalo. To me, the cost would be more like 250/260k a year vs 310 due to housing being cheap in Buffalo. Good Luck in your decision!

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to specialize, SB no questions asked.

Wouldn't Penn be the same as SB in your situation?

SB has some nice faculty. But I hear interesting things about the atmosphere with the students. I actually saw a small confrontation between them during my interview. P/F is a nice perk, i think they have that. You would also be able to go home more when compared to buffalo. I ultimately got waitlisted for SB, but I'm really enjoying UB and the faculty.

I'd really do the numbers and find out what you're actually dealing with.

If location is your concern, Stony brook isn't that remote... You can get to Manhattan in an hour!

SB is still around ~20k cheaper per year (after the scholarship).

From what I know, I don't think SB is P/F anymore. The only difference between the grading at both schools is that UB is ranked and SB is not. Both schools have a GPA grading system though.

SB is still around ~20k cheaper per year (after the scholarship).

From what I know, I don't think SB is P/F anymore. The only difference between the grading at both schools is that UB is ranked and SB is not. Both schools have a GPA grading system though.

I didn't know SB offers scholarships, congrats! Whats the final total for both schools? As much as I like UB, i think +80k difference and the chance to be closer to home, might have turned me towards SB.

I didn't know SB offers scholarships, congrats! Whats the final total for both schools? As much as I like UB, i think +80k difference and the chance to be closer to home, might have turned me towards SB.

Haha I wish! I was responding to allantois's comment about Penn being the same price.
Penn would be ~$350k, SB would be ~$300k, and UB ~$260k.