Buffalo University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wise146

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody knows the stats for UB--in terms of what percentage of the graduating class usually specializes, goes for GPR ect. Also, how competitive is this school compared to other schools.

Thanks, any info. is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

Well, about half of my class of 89 are applying to postgrad programs. ~20% of my class are going GPR/AEGD, Around 30% of my class are applying to specialty programs. Peds and perio are the most popular. There are about 8 people in my class applying to OMFS, and two or three going Endo. A couple are going Ortho. I don't think any of my classmates are interested in pros though. There is one classmate of mine I know of who is going to go for an MPH (public health).

I'm sure they are all going to match/place into a program somewhere.

How competitive is UB: For out-of-state, About 20% of our class are out-of-staters, which translates to about 15-20 seats a year, so it is very competitive compared to Columbia and NYU for out-of-staters. In-state, it's less competitive than Stony Brook because our class size is larger.

HTH.

Tom--is there a push at UB to specialize or to just practice general dentistry. I know at different schools, there are different goals for the students.

Thanks for the information, i really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
UB's emphasis is on clinical experience. The school does not push one to specialize, but it will prepare you well for that too-- Plenty of research opportunities, and you can minor in one of several different areas (peds, endo, perio, oral diagnostic sciences) which will look good on your postgrad application.

HTH!

wise146,

Click on the following link to see what the classes of 2000 - 2003 have done after graduation. Once you are at the alumni page, click on "graduated classes."
Univ. at Buffalo Graduated Classes

There is definitely a push to be the well-rounded general dentist at our school. But the chance is there to specialize, you just have to be your own advocate. No one is really going to encourage you unless you show initiative in specializing.

Tom, you'd think we went to different schools! As far as I know, there are at least 4 applying to OMS, 7 to Ortho, at least 3 to Pedo, 1 to Prostho, 1 to Perio, don't know of any to Endo. However, I don't talk to everyone and the final list will be known in early February. Several are applying to GPR/AEGDs and there is also a good chunk headed straight to private practice.

Hey Griffin,

There are actually quite a few of our classmates applying to OMS... Blanche told me there are 7 of our classmates applying, she included. Looks like Oral Surgery is a "hot" specialty at our school this year for some reason. I was thinking OMFS too, but there is pressure on me to start putting bread on the table which is rather incompatible with another 6 years of schooling. :D

I was at the endo minors meeting with Dr. Levine at beginning of the summer session and there were 6 of our classmates present. A few of them are applying endo. I was exploring my options there but I was noncommittal.

Our school is not being very accomodating to our own guys for Ortho... I'm surprised so many are applying!

Now who amongst us would do prostho? There is only one guy I can think of who actually might. Say konnichi-wa to him for me. :laugh:

Yep, I'm part of the chunk heading straight into private practice..

Tom what do you think the advantages of going right into private practice are. Is it easy to set up a practice and get patients without doing a GPR? Do you feel prepared enough? thanks again for your help.

Hey Wise146,

Yes, you can go straight into practice after school without doing a GPR... The advantage is that you will start making money straight away, the disadvantage is that you are no longer in a learning environment and the adjustment (from school to private practice) can be a bit tough. Dental school will teach you the basic skills to get started in dentistry, but it's only the basics. To learn how to treat more advanced cases/use advanced techniques and equipment, one might want to do GPR/AEGD.

The other advantages to doing a GPR/AEGD is that you can afford to make mistakes and learn from them because there will be an attending/instructor watching over you, ready to jump in if you are in trouble. In GPR/AEGD is also where you can learn to improve your speed and maybe pick up some marketable skills. My sister learned how to do implant surgery while in her GPR residency, which is a VERY marketable skill.

I am lucky in that I have my sister who is going to give me some on-the-job training and help me transition to private practice. Otherwise, I would do a GPR or AEGD first.

HTH!