Buffalo vs UPenn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToothBlaster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Overall, which is a better school to attend, Buffalo or Upenn, especially as a NY resident?

Members don't see this ad.

Which ever one you would rather go to. We don't personally know you so we probably can't give you very good advice. For me, it depends on if I get the scholarship.

With the information you have given, my answer would be Buffalo. Maybe you can tell us some more and give us your opinions and we can help guide you, but asking for a straight up answer is pretty tough for us to do without knowing you.

Overall, which is a better school to attend, Buffalo or Upenn, especially as a NY resident?

From what I have read, it seems as though Penn is a better program. The real question for you is whether or not Penn is $100k+ better

Members don't see this ad :)
I know nothing about Penn, but I ABSOLUTELY loved buffalo. Aside from the fact that most students in the class are friendly and very "tight" with each other, they actually offer you in-state tuition after 1 year HAHAH, amazing huh?

But honestly, the hospital gets about 30,000 patients per year (thats HUGE), every 3rd and 4th year has their own chair, and from what I am told, this school has a very strong clinical curriculum.... can't beat that, good tuition, strong clinical years, and very friendly student body

Does Buffalo have pretty much the same Specializing opportunities as UPenn? Or would it be a lot better to go to UPenn in order to specialize?

Does Buffalo have pretty much the same Specializing opportunities as UPenn? Or would it be a lot better to go to UPenn in order to specialize?

we as pre-dents don't know the answer to this. But experienced dental students and residents always say that the school you attend doesn't have as much impact with specialty-matches so much as how much of a natural "gunner" you are in class. If you always work hard and are at the top of your class, then matching into the right specialty will be the more likely outcome.

If you work hard you can specialize from anywhere. At least that seems to be what a lot of dental students have told me. Personally, I think more people specialize from top notch programs because, well, the best students go to top programs. However, with the boards going pass/fail, I think it's kind of unknown how the future programs will choose.

The choice is yours though, and most of these threads are kind of pointless. The decision is yours, we won't be going to school for you for the next 4 years. You need to be happy with your choice, and we all have different preferences. Pick the school you will be happy with and if you are a strong student, you will be able to do whatever you want.

Thanks for all your feedback, I really appreciate it. What are your thoughts on Columbia vs Buffalo (as an NY resident)? Thank you.

Thanks for all your feedback, I really appreciate it. What are your thoughts on Columbia vs Buffalo (as an NY resident)? Thank you.

Just for reference, having spent a few years in Buffalo, it's a pretty dismal place to live. It is essentially a dead city (downtown is DEAD and boarded up) and the weather, predictably, is cold and miserable (lake effects). Good food, though.

BUFFALO all the WAY!!

unless u plan to research. UPenn hands down is one of the best if ur interested in research. Columbia seems to be pushing for their research as well. Not a huge fan of columbia.
I loved loved loved Buffalo.
Great friendly faculty/students, great patient pool, getting your own chair D3/4, safe, cheap, and their curriculum is so good!

I have heard that Columbia is amazing for specializing... if I want to be an oral surgeon is it the place to go
I also hear Columbia has extremely difficult didactics... is this the case?