Buffalo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSmiles12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got an invite from Buffalo - sept 21
Showed up on AADSAS and letter in mail

Wahoo!

Members don't see this ad.

Same here, where it says invited for interview on AADSAS status page. How long did it take you to receive the letter by mail? Cuz my just showed up today.

Thanks!

Same here, where it says invited for interview on AADSAS status page. How long did it take you to receive the letter by mail? Cuz my just showed up today.

Thanks!

Letter hasn't come yet, I called and talked to them and they told me to go ahead and schedule it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the update on aadsas as well- invited for interview

Question for all you cool-interview-invite-dudes/dudettes, when was all of your secondary/fee stuff received by Buffalo? I got an email saying my app was through initial review, everything was complete on 8/30. How long did it take for them to come to a decision for yall? I applied to 15 schools and I swear I check my email every 2 minutes throughout the day, this waiting and all the anticipation has been killin me!

Question for all you cool-interview-invite-dudes/dudettes, when was all of your secondary/fee stuff received by Buffalo? I got an email saying my app was through initial review, everything was complete on 8/30. How long did it take for them to come to a decision for yall? I applied to 15 schools and I swear I check my email every 2 minutes throughout the day, this waiting and all the anticipation has been killin me!

Woah there, tiger! December 1st is a long way away...don't get any ulcers before d-school even starts. That's what gross anatomy's for, silly!

And congrats to the interviewees! Lemme know the days you'll be going and I'll see if I'm supposed to help out then. I'll tell you who not to sit with ;)

Woah there, tiger! December 1st is a long way away...don't get any ulcers before d-school even starts. That's what gross anatomy's for, silly!

And congrats to the interviewees! Lemme know the days you'll be going and I'll see if I'm supposed to help out then. I'll tell you who not to sit with ;)

so you're a current student at buffalo? what can we expect during the interview day? thx

I know, I know... I just got my first interview invite ever and I am so excited, I feel like a little boy at christmas. After the craziness to get this far it's nice to focus on undergrad studies and soak up the excitement of it all! My wife thinks I'm so weird... I know everyone else is the same, don't try and deny it!

Letter hasn't come yet, I called and talked to them and they told me to go ahead and schedule it!

So did they give you 21st or did you schedule it with them to be interviewed at on the 21st?

so you're a current student at buffalo? what can we expect during the interview day? thx

Yes, I'm a second year, so if it hasn't changed since I interviewed they start off with a cheezy film as an introduction, then probably an opening speech from Dr. Joynt (I know, haha) or some other administrator. Then you have a 10-minute writing sample exam where you answer a super broad question about your goals. Then it's your interviews, and then lunch, though most of the interviewers join you all at lunch so you're still a little on your guard. Then us rocking d-students give you a rocking tour and you can ask us the REAL questions, and you're probably done by 2:30 or 3.

So did they give you 21st or did you schedule it with them to be interviewed at on the 21st?

I called an scheduled it with them. They let me choose, but honestly I think I might cancel it or move it to another date. I am married with a child and to fly from Idaho to NY is a little expensive. So we will see.

I got it in the mail yesterday. Everything makes sense.

we have to write an essay during the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
we have to write an essay during the interview?

It's more of a brief writing sample. You know, questions like "What's been an important motivation for you?" or "what do you want out of your career?" Something where you don't have to think about the question so that you can just write away about things that are important to you. I think it's a great idea since communication is so important as a dentist (to patients, other dentists, professional organizations, research, etc.) It's 10 minutes and shouldn't be the thing you worry about for the day!

Resurrecting this thread...
My status changed on AADSAS today =) So which airport is closest to the hotel near UB? Would I need to rent a car or will a taxi/other public transport be ok? Should I just chill and wait until I get info from Buff?

Resurrecting this thread...
My status changed on AADSAS today =) So which airport is closest to the hotel near UB? Would I need to rent a car or will a taxi/other public transport be ok? Should I just chill and wait until I get info from Buff?

There's only one airport (Buffalo Niagara International Airport), unless you count the really, really small private plane airport in Niagara Falls. I would rent a car- public transportation in the city isn't the best (or the safest). Go on priceline and put in a price of, like $35 for a car for the day. I usually do this everytime I go home to Buffalo and need a car and most of the time I get that price.

When I got my interview letter, they sent a list of hotels in the area. They have shuttles that will pick you up at the airport on the day you arrive and the shuttle will drop you off and pick you up the day of the interview. The shuttle was free too. ;)

When I got my interview letter, they sent a list of hotels in the area. They have shuttles that will pick you up at the airport on the day you arrive and the shuttle will drop you off and pick you up the day of the interview. The shuttle was free too. ;)

Sounds sweet. Thanks for the info, guys!

Buffalo is super easy to drive around...you can drive and park right in downtown too, if you want to explore. If you DO drive, I'd recommend the Motel 6 on Maple Rd. It's probably the cheapest hotel I've seen in the area (I forget how much it is, but I think less than $50 a night?) and it's not fancy, but clean and with large rooms.

Also, with a car you can explore the area, which should definitely go into setting up what kind of environment you're looking for. Just ask if you want ideas for cultural/music/bar/fun things to do.

Is it me or is Buffalo the best kept secret among dental schools.?:smuggrin:
Their class size is 89 which represents 55% of the people that are accepted. They only accept 11% of the applicants which roughly works out as 1500 applicants. That is pretty low considering the number of applicants have been increasing at other schools.

Is it me or is Buffalo the best kept secret among dental schools.?:smuggrin:
Their class size is 89 which represents 55% of the people that are accepted. They only accept 11% of the applicants which roughly works out as 1500 applicants. That is pretty low considering the number of applicants have been increasing at other schools.

Dunno...just heard from the dean of admissions today that it's the highest number they've ever had, ever. And last year had been the highest until that point, too. Guess things really are increasing! Crazy...glad I applied when I did. *wipes brow* :)

I just got invited as well. I wanted to know now that we have got past the initial stage, do they still look at our DAT and GPA scores as much or do they concentrate on our interview and personal qualities. Meaning if they like us or not.

If you received an interview, I assume that you look good enough on paper. Although, I am guessing that they will reevaluate you as a total package after having interviewed you.

How many people does Buffalo interview on average?

And it is official, after a week of staring at my AADSAS status "invited to interview"
I got the mail inviting me to the interview. It goes without saying I am psyched!!
I have already scheduled my interview for mid October.

I notice under interview feedback that there is the occasional confrontational interviews. Those that don't have a good rating.

I'm still waiting for my buffalo interview =(. Hope it comes some day soon :).

Does anyone know the best way go to Buffalo from Boston? Flying a plane seems so expensive. And how do you guys prepare for the interview any way?
Do i just show up?:confused:

Does anyone know the best way go to Buffalo from Boston? Flying a plane seems so expensive. And how do you guys prepare for the interview any way?
Do i just show up?:confused:

Have you looked into jetblue?

also if you intend to drive to buffalo or take a bus make sure you give yourself an extra day to rest up before the interview.

The drive is under 7 hours...

Tack on 2 or 3 hours to allow for traffic issues, stops at rest areas, etc...

Me and my family drove to detroit from boston going through Ohio and it took us 15 hours!

JUST GOT an interview today.... found it on the AADSAS.... said my application was complete about 5 days ago and YAYAYAYYAA...

Driving from Detroit to Buffalo or Boston, you should look into going through Canada...can avoid traffic issues or weather on the 90 if the snow is bad.

Did Buffalo email you guys about paying the processing fee or did you just pay it. I just saw the link in the AADSAS suppl section but didn't know if I should wait to hear from them first or just pay it...what's another $50 at this point anyway right...

Driving from Detroit to Buffalo or Boston, you should look into going through Canada...can avoid traffic issues or weather on the 90 if the snow is bad.

I did it both ways. It was a blast though. I like the location of Buffalo. We could go to toronto for a weekend foray from there. I happen to have an uncle in detroit.:thumbup:

mail all the application fees as according to what the AADSAS page said... thats what i did, and i also looked at each schools website to see what they wanted... if i remember i sent buffalo money in a couple months ago

Did Buffalo email you guys about paying the processing fee or did you just pay it. I just saw the link in the AADSAS suppl section but didn't know if I should wait to hear from them first or just pay it...what's another $50 at this point anyway right...

They (admissions committee) won't act until you pay the fee.