Building a very large private practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Didnt Obama make this illegal?
Sort of. The Affordable care act prohibited new physician owned hospitals but only from accepting Medicare. You could still have a hospital and take patients with private insurance or self-pay.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Why on earth would it be illegal? I feel like this would be a net benefit for the community.
I feel like the certificate of need is a political game, there are always improvements to be made and incumbents pushing back.
Also, I live in Australia as well- I've heard of hospitals needing a certificate of need but surely a small 30-40 bed centre wouldn't need such stringent requirements?
State dependant of course, but in SC any surgery center or place where patients can stay overnight requires a CON.

Why on earth would it be illegal? I feel like this would be a net benefit for the community.
I feel like the certificate of need is a political game, there are always improvements to be made and incumbents pushing back.
Also, I live in Australia as well- I've heard of hospitals needing a certificate of need but surely a small 30-40 bed centre wouldn't need such stringent requirements?

The Affordable Care Act added heavy restrictions on physicians being able to own hospitals. The restrictions are so burdensome that I haven’t seen any new physician-owned hospitals pop up. It would be tough to succeed without violating laws.

Reactions: 1 user