Bullard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twptophan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can use a regular laryngoscope battery pack for a bullard? Are they interchangeable? Or do I need to buy a special bullard battery pack?
Also do people prefer using the integrated stylet or introducing the tube freehand?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if I can use a regular laryngoscope battery pack for a bullard? Are they interchangeable? Or do I need to buy a special bullard battery pack?
Also do people prefer using the integrated stylet or introducing the tube freehand?

Thanks

Won't be able to help you with the battery question, but having used a Bullard, throw that thing away and get yourself a GlideScope.

Honest to God.

I haven't used a Bullard in years, but I was great with it back in the day. It is a great tool. There are a few things the Bullard can do that I wouldn't do with a Glide. I used it for cervical trauma, mandibular fractures, extreme limited mouth opening, etc. If you could fit the tube between the teeth, you could get the Bullard in there, and no cables, monitors, etc. Low tech, baby! Of course for most stuff the glide is the way to go now, or just fiber.
One reason I liked it was that many of the staff couldn't use it at all, couldn't even put it together.:rolleyes:
;)

I don't know about the battery pack question, but I think you definitely want to use the integrated stylet. Without it, the likelihood that the tube is going to go where you want it to go is low. Sort of the same issue as with the glidescope- helps you see around the corner, can't get there without a guide. What the glidescope really needs is a channel that guides the tube in the trajectory of the blade.

The other trick I like to use with the Bullard is to use a thin cook catheter (the ones we have that fit are pale yellow) through the stylet channel, if the tube isn't going where you want it to, and then guide the tube over the cook, Seldinger-style. Tends to work pretty well.

The Bullard can definitely has the edge over the Glidescope in cases of very limited OA.

Then again, look at my screen name. Guess I love the low tech airway toys!