Bullet "dot" formatting in ERAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffeebeanjenn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After struggling with the formatting for ERAS, I am wondering if I can use the black "dot" as a break of sorts between items. My CV is in bullets rather than prose, and this also helps with listing awards. I know I can't insert line breaks, but I think the dots help.

I checked in notepad and the "dot" is rendered as a dot. It also appears on the printed versions of the CV and the ERAS app.

Does the black dot appear for PDs? I know the PDs download the data in a raw form and it is formatted in a separate program.

For example, this is what my awards section looks like:
• 2012 Excellence in PBJ Construction. • 2012 Outstanding Milkshake Shaker. • 2011 Award for Holding the Door Open for Little Old Ladies.

And for descriptions under my experiences:
“Does drinking one cup of coffee improve alertness vs going to bed one hour earlier?” • Primary role in drafting application for IRB approval and conducting research and analysis. • Currently awaiting approval and purchase of coffee maker to proceed.

Members don't see this ad.

I been using numbers "1) 2) 3) etc" instead of dots, and simply editing the spacing and stuff on the ERAS document itself. It makes it more readable. As far as I am concerned I don't think you can put line breaks.

Right. I'm not talking about line breaks but the dot itself. The numbers idea is good for listing awards, but I don't like it as much for "billeted" descriptions of my experiences.

I can't say that I've ever seen bullets done before. I don't know if that's because they don't work, or no one has ever tried it before.

Not very helpful, I know...

I have the same question. What is the best looking format?? Dots or "-" or numbers 1)2)3)

I have the same question. What is the best looking format?? Dots or "-" or numbers 1)2)3)

I looked at a bunch of ERAS CVs this year. The ones where people just entered data look fine. The ones where people clearly tried to format it, look like crap. I'm not sure what the real answer is here but perhaps KISS is the way to go.