Buprenorphine On UDS

Started by Dansk2011
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dansk2011

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've started using quite a lot of belbuca and Butrans in my practice. A lot of my patients seem to do very well on it. The only issue that I am running into is that it doesn't seem to show up on uds including confirmation consistently. I spoke to the rep who said that was a known issue and that you have to ask the lab to drop the cutoff value. I've since asked the lab we work with to do that. I know the amount for pain is much less than the lowest dose of suboxone and I imagine that is the cutoff value that they are testing at. I was curious other people's experience with this and what you are doing about it if anything?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
depends on risk assessment for abuse.

with minimal assessed risk of misuse, then once a year. with maximum assessed risk - why continue - then randomly 3-4 times a year or so.

and look at patch every time they come in to office.
 
depends on risk assessment for abuse.

with minimal assessed risk of misuse, then once a year. with maximum assessed risk - why continue - then randomly 3-4 times a year or so.

and look at patch every time they come in to office.

What’s your ideal candidate for a butrans patch? Multiple pain generators? Any contraindications?
 
What’s your ideal candidate for a butrans patch? Multiple pain generators? Any contraindications?

I like it for the autoimmune population, especially since many of them seem to have stomach issues. So a patch or dissolving film gives them more consistent pain control over their rheumatoid arthritis.
 
geez just askin'. ex: i have a few patients that use 1-2 tabs of norco a week (#15 tabs per month) consistently for the past year or so. should i convert them over?

Absolutely not. I have a good bit of those pts, and I have one dude on Butrans. There is very little risk in Norco a few times per week, and Butrans isn't perfect.
 
I spoke to our local Belbuca rep who said that if the lab you use has a higher cutoff for buprenorphine and metabolites, I guess more geared towards suboxone patients, it will likely not show up on the uds as belbuca/Butrans are mcg vs mg. The practice I work for (just joined a few months ago) does monthly analyzer and then confirms 2 times per year for low risk and at least 4 times for high risk. Not sure how I feel about the monthly analyzer.
 
I spoke to our local Belbuca rep who said that if the lab you use has a higher cutoff for buprenorphine and metabolites, I guess more geared towards suboxone patients, it will likely not show up on the uds as belbuca/Butrans are mcg vs mg. The practice I work for (just joined a few months ago) does monthly analyzer and then confirms 2 times per year for low risk and at least 4 times for high risk. Not sure how I feel about the monthly analyzer.
Yeah, that's considered inappropriate by modern guidelines.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad