• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Buprenorphine On UDS

Dansk2011

7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2014
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I've started using quite a lot of belbuca and Butrans in my practice. A lot of my patients seem to do very well on it. The only issue that I am running into is that it doesn't seem to show up on uds including confirmation consistently. I spoke to the rep who said that was a known issue and that you have to ask the lab to drop the cutoff value. I've since asked the lab we work with to do that. I know the amount for pain is much less than the lowest dose of suboxone and I imagine that is the cutoff value that they are testing at. I was curious other people's experience with this and what you are doing about it if anything?

About the Ads

painfree23

2+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2017
depends on risk assessment for abuse.

with minimal assessed risk of misuse, then once a year. with maximum assessed risk - why continue - then randomly 3-4 times a year or so.

and look at patch every time they come in to office.

What’s your ideal candidate for a butrans patch? Multiple pain generators? Any contraindications?

Nov 21, 1998
Over the rainbow
  1. Attending Physician
geez just askin'. ex: i have a few patients that use 1-2 tabs of norco a week (#15 tabs per month) consistently for the past year or so. should i convert them over?

Can you just label them as Mild OUD with prescription opioid physical dependency and flip them to Suboxone?

Agast

10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2009
the river lethe
  1. Attending Physician
What’s your ideal candidate for a butrans patch? Multiple pain generators? Any contraindications?

I like it for the autoimmune population, especially since many of them seem to have stomach issues. So a patch or dissolving film gives them more consistent pain control over their rheumatoid arthritis.

SommeRiver

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2018
  1. Attending Physician
geez just askin'. ex: i have a few patients that use 1-2 tabs of norco a week (#15 tabs per month) consistently for the past year or so. should i convert them over?

Absolutely not. I have a good bit of those pts, and I have one dude on Butrans. There is very little risk in Norco a few times per week, and Butrans isn't perfect.

lobelsteve

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2005
Canton GA
www.stevenlobel.com
  1. Attending Physician
Can you just label them as Mild OUD with prescription opioid physical dependency and flip them to Suboxone?

I assume you are just messing with him. Not even on daily opiate. Would never offer change in regimen with such low dose therapy. Keep going with due diligence and enjoy the easy visit.

Reactions: 1 user

Dansk2011

7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2014
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I spoke to our local Belbuca rep who said that if the lab you use has a higher cutoff for buprenorphine and metabolites, I guess more geared towards suboxone patients, it will likely not show up on the uds as belbuca/Butrans are mcg vs mg. The practice I work for (just joined a few months ago) does monthly analyzer and then confirms 2 times per year for low risk and at least 4 times for high risk. Not sure how I feel about the monthly analyzer.

Ferrismonk

10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2006
  1. Attending Physician
I spoke to our local Belbuca rep who said that if the lab you use has a higher cutoff for buprenorphine and metabolites, I guess more geared towards suboxone patients, it will likely not show up on the uds as belbuca/Butrans are mcg vs mg. The practice I work for (just joined a few months ago) does monthly analyzer and then confirms 2 times per year for low risk and at least 4 times for high risk. Not sure how I feel about the monthly analyzer.
Yeah, that's considered inappropriate by modern guidelines.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.