Burning ?'s...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1hotdoctor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

1) Does anyone know how hard the Chemistry questions are on the PCAT and exactly what percentage is Gen Chem and what percentage is Organic Chem?

2) Are there a lot of calculation Q's or more of the theory/one-word answer types for Gen Chem?

3) How bad and detailed are the Biology Q's?

I really appreciate your answers. Thanks!!:love:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!

1) Does anyone know how hard the Chemistry questions are on the PCAT and exactly what percentage is Gen Chem and what percentage is Organic Chem?

2) Are there a lot of calculation Q's or more of the theory/one-word answer types for Gen Chem?

3) How bad and detailed are the Biology Q's?

I really appreciate your answers. Thanks!!:love:
50% ORGANIC, 50% INORGANIC. Mostly, the questions are concepts, little calculation (maybe 5).
BIology: just basic.

Thanks 5minutes,

I really appreciate the info.

Could I bother you just a bit more since you seem to know your stuff?? :D

- Why are people so worried about the PCAT and their performance on it if there are so many schools that do not require the PCAT for admission? Is it only because they want to go to a specific school or one in their own state where they are a resident or what?

- I keep hearing that PCAT is really TRICKY! That be careful because it is not really testing your knowledge of subjects but that it is testing something else. Is that really true or is just like any other standardized test where you just study hard and see the good results of your hard work?

- Are there any really really good material to study 10 days before the PCAT that would really make a big difference. Any really high yield stuff out there?

Feel free to email me if it is easier for you [email protected]and thank you again for your kind responses.

I agree with 1hotdoctor comments, could 5minutes or someone please answer these questions and provide further clarification about the PCAT? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you. :)

Thanks 5minutes,

- Why are people so worried about the PCAT and their performance on it if there are so many schools that do not require the PCAT for admission? Is it only because they want to go to a specific school or one in their own state where they are a resident or what?

- I keep hearing that PCAT is really TRICKY! That be careful because it is not really testing your knowledge of subjects but that it is testing something else. Is that really true or is just like any other standardized test where you just study hard and see the good results of your hard work?

- Are there any really really good material to study 10 days before the PCAT that would really make a big difference. Any really high yield stuff out there?

Feel free to email me if it is easier for you [email protected]and thank you again for your kind responses.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have questions regarding micro-biology because i haven't taken it

1) What type of questions are generally asked on pcat? (i mean diseases,bacteria,viruses,sterilization,staining, history of micro etc..)
2)What concepts are imp to know for microbiology?

1) What type of questions are generally asked on pcat? (i mean diseases,bacteria,viruses,sterilization,staining, history of micro etc..)

I havent taken the pcat yet but I believe some topics you most definetly want to cover are why certain bacteria can be classified as gram negative or gram positive and shapes of bacteria.:)

thanks for the reply... let me guess gram + has cell wall with more peptidoglycan(also purple stain) and gram - has less peptidoglycan(red or pink stain)
cocci- round, bacilli-rod, spirilium-spiral(3 types vibrio,spirilium,spirochate)

Thanks 5minutes,

Actually most schools require the PCAT, and more schools added it as a requirement this year. I don't think the PCAT is meant to be tricky. You have to know the info, but you also have to know how to take tests and use those strategies. People on this board have suggested that doing practice tests is the most useful in getting ready for the PCAT.

Most of the microbio stuff that was on the August test was covered in my intro bio classes, so use Kaplan for this. There were a couple of questions that were about specific bacteria or diseases, but most of us thought those were the experimental ones. There's no way to study for those ones.

Thanks fenixtnlfan,

Good info. Hey could I just ask you just a couple of more questions please..

I am really worried about the Chemistry section. How bad is the Chemistry?

I am just not sure how in dept I need to study this material and for most of

the Gen Chem I find myself having to use a calculator to figureout the

answers which I know we cannot use on the real test.

Organic chem...is it really general questions or does it get down to the nidy

gridy stuff?

Thank you in advance.

Thanks fenixtnlfan,

Good info. Hey could I just ask you just a couple of more questions please..

I am really worried about the Chemistry section. How bad is the Chemistry?

I am just not sure how in dept I need to study this material and for most of

the Gen Chem I find myself having to use a calculator to figureout the

answers which I know we cannot use on the real test.

Organic chem...is it really general questions or does it get down to the nidy

gridy stuff?

Thank you in advance.

IMO, it's not too bad. Most of it is not calculations, but there was one question I really could have used a calculator for to speed things up plus my brain pooped out when I got to it. Thankfully we had the break after chem so I could recharge! The practice tests I did I felt I needed a calculator too, but was fine on the PCAT. It's really hard to gauge how in depth you need to go; it all comes down to luck on what questions you get. Overall, the PCAT is pretty general. For O.chem, you don't need to know mechanisms, but reactant and product for a reaction will probably be tested.

I know how frustrating the PCAT is to study for since you can't know specific questions. It really is a different type of test to take since it covers a lot of material.

Hey fenixtnlfan,

Thank you so very much. You are a real nice guy and very helpful. I really appreciate it.

I guess we just have to wait and see what happens, ha!! I am applying to UCHSC School of Pharmacy in CO and they want something over 50. I am not sure what that really means and how many one can really miss and still get over 50, but I sure hope I pull it off.

Drop me a line every so often when you get a chance. It's nice chatting with you.

I thought that the chem and bio sections were really terrible when I was taking them. I ended up with a 90 in bio and a 69 in chem. The chem score isn't great by any means, but I didn't even have time to read every question and chem is my weakest subject, so it wasn't too bad, considering.

I would love to find a good chem practice or review online - it's getting too close to the testing date to just go through old textbooks and such. I would advise practicing under timed conditions - I didn't do that last time and I was shocked when I ran out of time for chem and math, as I'm usually a quick test-taker.

I know there are derivatives and integrals on the PCAT exam, are they hard or are they the basic ones. Anybody know???? I am having trouble with the power rule derivatives..

Hey fenixtnlfan,

Thank you so very much. You are a real nice guy and very helpful. I really appreciate it.

I guess we just have to wait and see what happens, ha!! I am applying to UCHSC School of Pharmacy in CO and they want something over 50. I am not sure what that really means and how many one can really miss and still get over 50, but I sure hope I pull it off.

Drop me a line every so often when you get a chance. It's nice chatting with you.

Glad I could help! That is what this board is here for. I know it has helped me :D

I know there are derivatives and integrals on the PCAT exam, are they hard or are they the basic ones. Anybody know???? I am having trouble with the power rule derivatives..

Derivatives and integrals will be on there, but pretty basic ones. Power rule=basic so get that one down. Know the common trig ones too.

Thanks 5minutes,

Sorry for not replying your topic, I am so busy with my students at my workplace.

Pcat is not that tricky. I would say only 10% of all the questions on the Pcat require you to spend more time. The rest are either conceptual questions or very easy calculations. I think that Pcat not only tests your knownledge, but also tests your psychology. The test's score shows how well you manage your time. This is very important factor in determining success in pharmacy.

People always worry about the Pcat, even though there are schools that do not require Pcat. Well, first of all, there are not many schools that do not require Pcat. Secondly,the school, that requires Pcat, will look better than the school that does not require Pcat. You will have more options to select the schools you want in Pcat-required schools than no-pcat-required schools.

The best material that you need is the textbook. Most of the Pcat questions you can find the answers in the textbook. Do not wait untill you take the Pcat to study. Study now in the class. Kaplan, Cliff, or others are good sources you can review your knownledge.