Busiest Month for Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocTroll

Lurker
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm trying to plan out my MSIV months and wondered if there's a consensus on the "best" month to take off for interviews in EM? It seems like the interview thread didn't start picking up steam 'til November last year which leads me to believe that December is when most EM programs are interviewing. Do I read this right? Can I get some help from MSIV who are on the trail right now: What month did you have the most interviews?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that December and January are the busiest months for interviews. I had most of my interviews during December.

I asked the same question last year and decided to take December off... Ended up doing most my interviews in January though (applied a bit late to a lot of the programs).

I agree that December and January are definitely the heaviest interview months for most people. However, if you can take an elective with a lighter schedule/more time to get away in November, you can actually front-load your schedule knock out quite a few interviews during this month. I actually had 6 interviews done by Thanksgiving, and I was on a rotation at the time. I ended up only having to take a couple of days off because the interviews were either 1) at or near my home institution, 2) a 2-hour drive away, or 3) scheduled for dates when I was not working. Also, I worked it out with my attending and fellows so that I could make up any days I missed by covering a weekend or taking an extra call. It ended up being no big deal and, while November was busy, it was very productive. I thought it was well worth it to get so many interviews out of the way so early.

If you can do the ones closest to home first, then you'll need to take of less time to travel - thus, you can do them while you're on a rotation (most are good about letting you have a day off here or there). This way, you can save your month(s) off to travel to the programs that demand long car rides or plane trips.

Last edited: