Business Calc versus alternative route.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PREDOCSIMP

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I put off registering for precalc class that I had originally planned to take( I am far behind in math, and would rather be prepared for Calc 1 then ruin my medical school application). The class filled up and now I have only two options.

1) Take the business calc
( NO one else has even signed up for the class)

2) Take calc 1 instead.
(don't feel comfortable, but I could)

Question.

Will medical schools look down on me if I take the business calc approach?
I have heard rumors of adcoms saying" All college classes are hard" .
I honestly don't think they would care either route I take, as long as I do my best;however, I don't want this to
hold me back.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Formerly, some schools would have specifically prohibited or dismissed the business calc version. However, it seems the math requirement has become much looser, with statistics being as recommended, if not more so than calc. Additionally, it wont be an admissions issue but post-admission. Personally, I would not advise taking calc without the precalc. You dont need the calc to apply but for matriculation. So even if you take it your glide year it would be fine

My major allows to routes(biological science major) , the calc (Heavy) or the business with calc. Yes, I am required to take Stats. What do you mean "post admission issue". I am sorry, I don't understand.

Members don't see this ad :)
Calculus with precalculus =:nono:. Take regular calculus after precalculus.

I plan on doing that. But, there are two routes ahead of me for my major. Calc (intense) or calc with business.

What is the difference in the course outline?
At my school they deemphasize trig functions and the class as a whole is known to be much easier and straight forward than normal calc.

Take stats this semester and pre Calc asap after this semester.