business cards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering, after interview, did you usually ask for the interviewer's business card or did he/she usually give his/her business card right away?
also, did you guys send email or send a thank you letter after interview? which one is more acceptable?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would go for the note, or perhaps a letter(short and specific) outlining what impressed you about the school, and emphasize your appreciation for the interview. If you send a note/letter they actualy have a peice of paper for your file, an email is not as formal and not as easy to put in a file.

I never asked for a card but almost all of my faculty interviewers gave me theirs. The student interviewers gave me their email addresses. I've heard that you should call/email them afterwards, especially to reinforce your interest, but I never did.

Members don't see this ad :)
just wondering, after interview, did you usually ask for the interviewer's business card or did he/she usually give his/her business card right away?
also, did you guys send email or send a thank you letter after interview? which one is more acceptable?
thanks

I had to ask twice. I sent a personal letter to all my interviewers except one. I got into every school I interviewed except for the one I didn't send a thank you note to. HAHA I don't think it was the lack of note tho...just coincidence

I had to ask twice. I sent a personal letter to all my interviewers except one. I got into every school I interviewed except for the one I didn't send a thank you note to. HAHA I don't think it was the lack of note tho...just coincidence

Im on the borderline with this one... I think its a professional thing to do and a nice gesture, but at the same time also think it looks a little kiss a$$ ish... I never knew what to do with this situation.. I honestly dont think a school is sitting there waiting to see if you sent a thank you note or not, saying "ok, he finally sent in the thank you note, now we can accept them"... If they want you or not, I think they know in under 5 minutes after your interview is over....

Im on the borderline with this one... I think its a professional thing to do and a nice gesture, but at the same time also think it looks a little kiss a$$ ish... I never knew what to do with this situation.. I honestly dont think a school is sitting there waiting to see if you sent a thank you note or not, saying "ok, he finally sent in the thank you note, now we can accept them"... If they want you or not, I think they know in under 5 minutes after your interview is over....

I would definitely send thank you letters to the interviewers, it shows your appreciation for their time. Most premed offices tell you to do it, I know mine stressed it. Hey, anything to get an edge.

I would definitely send thank you letters to the interviewers, it shows your appreciation for their time. Most premed offices tell you to do it, I know mine stressed it. Hey, anything to get an edge.

I know it cant really hurt (unless you write something extremely stupid in a thank you letter, if thats even possible) but I still feel like they know if they want you right away anyhow, so it wouldnt matter much. Like its not a deal breaker, tons of people get acceptances without doing it. Although I guess its still a nice thing to do, just to say you appreciate their consideration.

I know it cant really hurt (unless you write something extremely stupid in a thank you letter, if thats even possible) but I still feel like they know if they want you right away anyhow, so it wouldnt matter much. Like its not a deal breaker, tons of people get acceptances without doing it. Although I guess its still a nice thing to do, just to say you appreciate their consideration.

I think its a good way to show you are thoughtful and appreciate their time in interviewing you, unless of course your letter comes across as more kiss ass than sincere. But if they are somewhat undecided about you might only work in your favour, just my .002.

I think its a good way to show you are thoughtful and appreciate their time in interviewing you, unless of course your letter comes across as more kiss ass than sincere. But if they are somewhat undecided about you might only work in your favour, just my .02.

I think its a good way to show you are thoughtful and appreciate their time in interviewing you, unless of course your letter comes across as more kiss ass than sincere. But if they are somewhat undecided about you might only work in your favour, just my .02.

Shouldn't have pressed sumbit so many times... :laugh:

thanks for the input, but btw, how about the business card? Did the interviewer automatically give one or do you have to ask?

thanks for the input, but btw, how about the business card? Did the interviewer automatically give one or do you have to ask?

Dear Omg,
If they give it to you, you don't have to ask.

If they do not think to give it to you, you can ask. They will not say no and they will not be offended. So stop stressing over this and just ask for it if they don't give it to you. I don't see what the issue is....