Business Degree Compatible with Pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sportsman786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an pre-pharmacy student pursuing an Accounting degree. I have been under the impression that since I am going the unorthodox route as far as Accounting+Pre-Pharmacy goes, I was wondering if anyone have seen or heard of individuals that had success in pharmacy with an business degree. Essentially I would like to inquire any backround information so I may have an idea, and also be ready to answer if any question arise in a possible interview regarding how I will be using my Accounting degree in pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad.

I am an pre-pharmacy student pursuing an Accounting degree. I have been under the impression that since I am going the unorthodox route as far as Accounting+Pre-Pharmacy goes, I was wondering if anyone have seen or heard of individuals that had success in pharmacy with an business degree. Essentially I would like to inquire any backround information so I may have an idea, and also be ready to answer if any question arise in a possible interview regarding how I will be using my Accounting degree in pharmacy.

I'm sure you'll be as good a pharmacist as any other. If you want to be a pill pusher I don't think the accounting will matter. Once you get out of school degrees are largely irrelevant, and they quickly fall from the top of your resume to the bottom. Take that from experience. If you want to move into an administrative role then you'd likely have an edge over the standard six year Pharm.D. You must like dealing with damn numbers, lol. Regardless you can learn administration just as well without any business or accounting background. At my last job I supervised up to 42 people and ran seven different internal orders of budgets with no background in it (I'm a cop), and my evaluations said I exceeded standards. I only say that because I am definitely not a numbers guy.

They do have PharmD/MBA programs... so that says something about compatibility.

Members don't see this ad :)
No one cares about your major. Pick one that you like and take pre-reqs.

No one has every questioned me about my Psychology major.

while it is important to have good preparation by having health care related B.S degree, what really matters is how well you do in both areas as indicated by your GPA and other factors. It might be an advantage to you because it shows your well rounded.

No one cares about your major. Pick one that you like and take pre-reqs.

No one has every questioned me about my Psychology major.

yes, this is one of my biggest regrets in undergrad. i love science but if i had known majors were not that important, i would have done something like computer engineering :) while just taking the required pre-pharm courses.