Business ownership for oncologists

Started by onconc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

onconc

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just trying to get some more oncology specific responses to my question posted on a generic SDN forum 3 years back (see link below). Interested to know if any of you have any oncology specific business ownership. Like say infusion chairs, or chemo, or real estate, or labs. Or anything else.


I am inspired by this person

Thank you
 
Last edited:
I'm interested in doing this too at some point, theres a few private clinics here in socal but thats it. Most are selling out to the larger groups to compete with drug pricing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think owning your practice and especially the real estate can be (or at least has been historically) a very good move.

I’ve had friends that interviewed with groups where the old partners all owned the building and new partners weren’t allowed to buy in, I considered that a huge red flag.

That being said in an era without site-neutral payments and especially 340b the benefits of private practice are rapidly shrinking as mentioned above many small groups are consolidating to try and continue competing.
 
As a small practice insurance companies will low ball you OV fees and negotiating drug prices will also be at a disadvantage.