Business Undergrad to DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Raleighwood

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I graduated with a BS in Business Management back in 2007. Shortly after working some sales and corporate gigs, I quickly realized the rat race is not for me.

I decided to make some extra money by personal training and discovered that I really enjoy helping others achieve their physical fitness and strength goals. I've always had a knack for science, being analytical and find human performance fascinating.

After analyzing the long term viability and the pros/cons of being a personal trainer and strength coach, I realized that being a DPT would open many more doors and provide me a skill set that is marketable almost anywhere. Plus, as a DPT, I would have instant credibility if I wanted to write books or provide consulting.

Plus, PT seems like a very rewarding career with good hours, high salary and variety of opportunities/work scenarios.

Today was my first day of classes at the local community college. I am taking care of the prerequisites that I was missing. Since I was a business major, I have to take catch up on my A&P, Chem, Bio, and Physics.

I am starting to have second thoughts... The commitment of practically 5 years until I have finished the whole process (prereq's + DPT program) seems a little daunting.

Has anyone out there experienced something similar? Do you have any words of advice on how to make up my mind? What should I be considering in my cost/benefit analysis of committing to such a long time back at school?

Any information or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
 
Last edited:
One of the PTs I work with has an undergrad business degree, but changed her mind and decided to get her DPT about a year after she graduated from undergrad.

If you don't want to commit to 5 years, what about doing a PTA program? It's only 2 yrs at a community college, and doesn't require the chem and physics (and some don't require bio), but still involves A&P and then the PT-like classes. You could start it in the fall and be done much sooner than DPT. You can still do personal training too as a supplement - I work with a PTA who does that too (she has her CSCS certification). A PTA won't make as much money, but it won't be nearly as expensive in tuition as a DPT program will be.

Otherwise, go for the DPT...if you cram it, you can get it done by next spring and apply to schools this upcoming cycle. I did ALL of my prereqs in the past 12 months and am starting in August. I applied to schools this past summer/fall with a few prereqs still remaining (I'm taking physics II and calc in the spring - I'm done with the rest). Of course I had to take them at 3 different community colleges to get it to work with my full-time work schedule, but if you can find a school that offers night classes, try to get Bio I, Chem I, and Physics I done this spring, and then do a few in the summer, the rest in the fall/spring. Then you're looking at about 4 years of school total, instead of 5.

Good luck!
 
Thanks for the reply!

PTA is an option, but I'd rather get something more advanced, specialized and prestigious.

This semester, I am currently taking A&P I, Chem I, Intro to Bio, and Physics I.

I still have A&P II, Physics II and Exercise Physiology to knock out in the summer/fall.

I graduated with a 3.76 GPA and I am pretty confident that I can do very well on the GRE. I should also be able to pull a 4.0 on my prereq's I am completing.

That coupled with some volunteer hours, a few good LORs and a polished interview; I should be golden right?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You should be fine.

Plus, a lot of schools like having diverse applicants, especially those with different backgrounds (career changers, etc.). Not everyone will be a 4.0 graduate from Harvard with a degree in Biology 🙂 That'd be a pretty boring group of students if they all were.

(nothing against Harvard - I have friends there lol).

Make sure you get Chem II and Bio II as well - most schools require those. If you can get at least 3 of your remaining prereqs done this summer and do well in them you should be fine...plus you'll have grades for those summer classes by the time you send in your applications. Then you'll only have 2 or 3 left for the fall/following spring. Definitely doable.

My suggestion, since I was in a similar situation last year (halfway through my senior year I started my prereqs at community college), is what one of the admissions advisors told me at a DPT program:

Get as many of the "core" classes (those required by all schools) done prior to when you apply, so that you have grades for them. In other words, if two classes are offered at the same time during the summer so you can only take one of them, pick the one that is required by most schools/more important. At the time I had a conflict between Chem I and a calculus class b/c they overlapped during the day. She told me to go with chem because it was required by all schools, whereas calc was not - it'd be more important to have a grade on my application for the chemistry than for the calculus at that point. Exercise physiology is not a prereq at a lot of schools, so maybe it's something you can push back to fall if you have to take a lighter summer load or have conflicts (unless it's required by your #1 choice, then it's up to you).

Also, take your GRE as early as possible - if you don't do as well as you hoped, you have time to retake it. If you do well, then woohoo you're done and don't have to worry about it. Since you'll have some outstanding prereqs at the time of your application, you'll definitely want a GRE score on the application to help give your application strength in the process. Most applicants have scores, but not all do. You'll definitely want it.

You'll also be in a good place since you'll have one of each of the core classes done. After I solved the chem/calc problem I had a conflict between Chem I and Physics II - I ended up choosing chemistry I over physics II because I had already gotten an A in physics I, which shows that I understood the class and would probably do equally well in the second semester. I had not taken any chemistry yet, and so I wanted to get that class done in the summer so I would have a grade for it. At the time I applied I had at least 1 of the courses done for the full year sequence classes, which I think helps show that you're "well rounded", and not just awesome at bio/anatomy and barely getting by in the other sciences.

I hope that made sense.

But to sum up, you should be fine 🙂
 
Thanks for the advice!

Right now I am focusing on getting the prereq's done for UNC's DPT program. I have to get all their specified classes done by the end of the semester I am applying in (Fall '10).

I will check out the other schools around NC for their prereq's and possibly take the classes that they specifically need. However, getting caught up on UNC's classes is pretty much a full load in itself.

I def want to stay in NC, as tuition will be a lot cheaper if I am paying in-state rates.
 
I was definitely in your boat a while back. I used this website to find online courses at NC community colleges: http://vlc.nccommunitycolleges.edu/students/online_courses.html
I took my pre-reqs at Durham Tech, Wake Tech, and NCSU although other schools are starting to offer more online classes.
The UNC pre-reqs will mostly carry over to the other schools. Duke and ECU have 2 more, but you can finish them after applying/acceptance. I only fulfilled the UNC pre-reqs and will catch up on the rest if I don't get into UNC.
 
I graduated with a BA in business in 2008, began working as a PT tech and got all my prerequisites done at a community college. I only had a 3.3 in undergrad, so I had to get straight A's and do well on the GRE. Have had some interviews and some more coming. During my interviews, I was told a business background is advantageous since so many therapists end up as directors of their clinics.

Community college was cheap, so I was able to keep my head above water as a tech. Business isn't for everyone, particularly sales, so I would recommend it to anyone looking to switch. A year of hard work and you have a solid shot of getting in. Hope this helps.