Busm vs umdnj-njms?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xforamenxmagnum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am a high-school senior and an aspiring doctor.
I have been accepted to four BA/MD programs (Lehigh-Drexel, BU/BUSM, TCNJ-NJMS, and VCU-VCU med) and have narrowed it down to NJMS VS BUSM. Now, looking at pros and cons for both sides, I have found that going to BUSM will put me in 200K more debt than going to NJMS. As a high school senior without any external sources, it is true that I don't know jack **** about medical schools...however, only thing that differetiates BUSM from NJMS is the ranking (BUSM: 43, NJMS: listed as N/A) and the reputation of both institutions. Recently I have read many negative things about BUSM on SDN, about the class environment and the mistreatment of the administration. This will in fact console having to give up BUSM for NJMS in replacement for financial issues. On a separate note, my brother, too, is currently attending GWU medical school.

Long story cut short, what do you think? I must make my decision soon (two weeks) and any feedback would be more than welcome. Please don't hijack the topic to something else and refrain from mentioning me the cons of BS/MD programs (I've heard them enough! :])

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I am a high-school senior and an aspiring doctor.
I have been accepted to four BA/MD programs (Lehigh-Drexel, BU/BUSM, TCNJ-NJMS, and VCU-VCU med) and have narrowed it down to NJMS VS BUSM. Now, looking at pros and cons for both sides, I have found that going to BUSM will put me in 200K more debt than going to NJMS. As a high school senior without any external sources, it is true that I don't know jack **** about medical schools...however, only thing that differetiates BUSM from NJMS is the ranking (BUSM: 43, NJMS: listed as N/A) and the reputation of both institutions. Recently I have read many negative things about BUSM on SDN, about the class environment and the mistreatment of the administration. This will in fact console having to give up BUSM for NJMS in replacement for financial issues. On a separate note, my brother, too, is currently attending GWU medical school.

Long story cut short, what do you think? I must make my decision soon (two weeks) and any feedback would be more than welcome. Please don't hijack the topic to something else and refrain from mentioning me the cons of BS/MD programs (I've heard them enough! :])

I'm in that seemingly minority group of SDN that thinks that medical school debt comparisons are largely overrated. Make your decision based on where you'd be happiest; if a larger debt is what makes you unhappy, then go for the cheaper one. Debt is something to take into consideration, but assuming that the cost won't prohibit you altogether from attending medical school, it's by no means the most significant criterion that you should base your decision on.

interviewed at both. liked BU more by like x 100. but i would go to NJMS 100 times out of 100 over BU

Members don't see this ad :)
First year at BU. If you have read so many negative things about BUSm here on SDN, then, if the thread that I'm thinking about is correct, you have also read the other things that have been said about BU by me and other BUSM students. I hope you noticed that the negative things about BU were said by one student, and he had many bad things to say for a reason, which we don't have to get into (all in all, he was expelled).

I love BU and from what I know, all of my classmates love being here. We have about 20 BA/MD people in our class and they say that undergrad is rough for BA/MD, but their first year is much easier than our first year. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

ditto.

I read the negative things on that one SDN thread last cycle before coming here. To the contrary, my experience as a first year has been completely positive. In particular, I have found the faculty to be incredibly supportive.

but you will enjoy either school, I am sure!!

To be honest, I think your decision should be based more on which college you prefer. Both medical schools are solid and will provide you with comparable educations, and nothing will stop you from applying to the other medical school as an undergrad.

TCNJ is a better school academically. The financial incentive is an added bonus. Being in Boston is pretty fun. I don't know. It depends on what's important to you, but 200k is a lot of money, and you will be paying it off for many years. It should definitely be a factor you consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.