Butler Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heroicvagabond

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone a hopeful transfer to Butler?

Members don't see this ad.

I have applied, however we'll need some good luck. There are usually only <20 spots open for non-butler students with no preference to state students vs out of state applicants. They might as well be an 0-6 program.:(

Anyone a hopeful transfer to Butler?

I have applied, however we'll need some good luck. There are usually only <20 spots open for non-butler students with no preference to state students vs out of state applicants. They might as well be an 0-6 program.:(

Yeah I heard, but I'm hopeful anyways!

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied too. I think it was a waste of money though. I heard they didn't accept any transfers last year at all. :mad:

When I spoke with the coordinator last year, she said that had more spots this year than they were offering last year. She made it seem like there was less than 10 for last year and 20 or so for this year. But yes, I do think I probably wasted my money, but I couldn't NOT apply.

I applied too. I think it was a waste of money though. I heard they didn't accept any transfers last year at all. :mad:

i just got an email invitation for an interview.. anyone else? I'm kind of shocked really...

I did as well, and am also shocked. Weird. I'm going to pick the 16th, since I work on Saturdays.

I did as well, and am also shocked. Weird. I'm going to pick the 16th, since I work on Saturdays.

yeah maybe they are just trying something different this year.. I'm going on the 17th.. I have to work both days :thumbdown: but I think I can still make it to work by 4 if its early enough

Got an interview invite but declined... Accepted Wayne State a month before hand.

I emailed them to withdraw my application because I have 2 sections of PCAT below 50 (a 48 and 49). Ended up receiving an email back saying the associate dean looked at my application and thinks I am very competitive and still wants me to interview. Surprised me! But the interviews are this weekend (Friday and Saturday)...and I'm in Florida until Friday and will be attending a memorial service for my boyfriends recently deceased aunt on Saturday, so I asked for a new date if they have them. Butler is not my first choice school or even my second, but they are close to home for me, even if they are expensive.

I emailed them to withdraw my application because I have 2 sections of PCAT below 50 (a 48 and 49). Ended up receiving an email back saying the associate dean looked at my application and thinks I am very competitive and still wants me to interview. Surprised me! But the interviews are this weekend (Friday and Saturday)...and I'm in Florida until Friday and will be attending a memorial service for my boyfriends recently deceased aunt on Saturday, so I asked for a new date if they have them. Butler is not my first choice school or even my second, but they are close to home for me, even if they are expensive.

i had one section in the 40s too! I thought they just didn't notice or something lol..

Members don't see this ad :)
hope the interviews went well today (indypharm)!

is it fairly similar to other schools interviews? did they say if the it is open or closed file?

It went well. It was closed file and my interviewers were very nice. The program was great like you would expect. On the plus side, the assistant dean said they have 60 spots! Let me know how many interview tomorrow. We only had 12.

Last edited:
It went well. It was closed file and my interviewers were very nice. The program was great like you would expect. On the plus side, the assistant dean said they have 60 spots! Let me know how many interview tomorrow. We only had 12.

60 spots! thats exciting :D.. i'll let ya know how many we have tomorrow.. thanks for the info!

I know you won't see this until after your interview, but my group only had three people in it so I'm not sure the dean will go over this. I wanted to say that the dean laid out the exact ranking formula for how we will be chosen. Of their score,40% will be your GPA. 25% will be your PCAT composite score (that's how all of us with low section numbers got invites!), then your interview will also be 25%, and finally your PCAT writing score is 10%. They said the master spread sheet is already done they just have to enter the interview scores. The admissions commitee will meet this week and he hopes to have a final list by the end of the week so that he can let us know next week. I hope we find out soon!

I know you won't see this until after your interview, but my group only had three people in it so I'm not sure the dean will go over this. I wanted to say that the dean laid out the exact ranking formula for how we will be chosen. Of their score,40% will be your GPA. 25% will be your PCAT composite score (that's how all of us with low section numbers got invites!), then your interview will also be 25%, and finally your PCAT writing score is 10%. They said the master spread sheet is already done they just have to enter the interview scores. The admissions commitee will meet this week and he hopes to have a final list by the end of the week so that he can let us know next week. I hope we find out soon!

yep! and i guess the 60 students includes a few other students too.. like those that are at butler but didn't start off in pharmacy and such.. they interviewed in december.. but from what I gathered the dean said there will be a total of about 155 students for 135 seats.. and of course 70 or so of those were auto advance.. but im not positive though because it was kind of confusing.. i really dont think they even know how many of each type of student will be accepted until the school year actually starts.. they said they also did a few interviews last week.. today only 8 people showed up.. so it sounds like we still have good odds.. we will see! :xf: i was definitely impressed with the campus and everything they have to offer

I was mostly impressed with their location. :D I think it's worth the extra cost to not have to commute. My husband actually asked me to choose Butler if I got in because it would be so much easier on our family. At least we'll know by the end of the month for SURE. I'm hoping the beginning of next week.

yep! and i guess the 60 students includes a few other students too.. like those that are at butler but didn't start off in pharmacy and such.. they interviewed in december.. but from what I gathered the dean said there will be a total of about 155 students for 135 seats.. and of course 70 or so of those were auto advance.. but im not positive though because it was kind of confusing.. i really dont think they even know how many of each type of student will be accepted until the school year actually starts.. they said they also did a few interviews last week.. today only 8 people showed up.. so it sounds like we still have good odds.. we will see! :xf: i was definitely impressed with the campus and everything they have to offer

Last edited:
I was mostly impressed with their location. :D I think it's worth the extra cost to not have to commute. My husband actually asked me to choose Butler if I got in because it would be so much easier on our family. At least we'll know by the end of the month for SURE. I'm hoping the beginning of next week.

no kidding!.. I didn't even realize until yesterday that it is just right down the road from my apartment :D.. and even though its more expensive.. it definitely seems like you get your money's worth.. the campus and the buildings are all really nice and everything

no kidding!.. I didn't even realize until yesterday that it is just right down the road from my apartment :D.. and even though its more expensive.. it definitely seems like you get your money's worth.. the campus and the buildings are all really nice and everything

I agree, the building is really nice. I'm getting pretty excited about Butler. They are still boasting a 100% NAPLEX pass rate, and 100% job placement. I know that's not everything, and it might not be 100% in four years, but it's pretty impressive.

I agree, the building is really nice. I'm getting pretty excited about Butler. They are still boasting a 100% NAPLEX pass rate, and 100% job placement. I know that's not everything, and it might not be 100% in four years, but it's pretty impressive.

yep yep!

Just got an email letting me know I've been accepted!:) Anyone else got an email?

I got one! Now I'm going to have to make a difficult decision between purdue and butler :confused:

im coming to butler with you indypharm!

Yay!!! I'm happy. Glad that we'll know at least each other! Although, there's a guy in my Micro class named Joe who was also accepted. Have you thought about trying to test out of biochem or immuno? Dean Clayton said something about it being a possibility, but I think I'm only going to try for Immuno. I had an A in the class and I looked at the course catalogue for next semester and it's at 8 am! I'm getting a low B in Biochem so I'm going to retake that.

Yay!!! I'm happy. Glad that we'll know at least each other! Although, there's a guy in my Micro class named Joe who was also accepted. Have you thought about trying to test out of biochem or immuno? Dean Clayton said something about it being a possibility, but I think I'm only going to try for Immuno. I had an A in the class and I looked at the course catalogue for next semester and it's at 8 am! I'm getting a low B in Biochem so I'm going to retake that.

Awesome! Yeah at least we already know some people.. I was thinking about how I will probably feel like a new kid since most of the other students have been there already lol.. I haven't though about it too much but I was under the impression that if we already took a class then we don't have to take it again or test out of it.. im not sure though.. but either way I might retake biochem too just to make sure i have a good understanding of it.. I also really want to do the research or the spanish option or both if im able to.. or maybe the masters in research.. i will also have to take that ethics class at some point so im not sure how much i can fit in my schedule.. im excited though! :D

Hi Indypharm and asdirected. I was wondering if you both have a bachelor's degree yet.

Last edited:
Hi Indypharm and asdirected. I was wondering if you both have a bachelor's degree yet.

yeah.. i have a bachelors in biology with a minor in chemistry.. are you looking into applying to butler?

yeah.. i have a bachelors in biology with a minor in chemistry.. are you looking into applying to butler?

I have a bachelors in Journalism. ft86, you've been accepted right? Are you planning on attending?

Hi. I'm planning to attend.:banana:
I was just wondering if I was the only person going in the program that does not have a bachelor's degree. I talked to Brenda and Dr. Clayton, they informed me that I can take classes during the summers to finish my bachelor's. As of right now I just filled out the forms and deposit. Butler here we go!

Sweet! See you in the fall. Are you from Indiana?

Hi. I'm planning to attend.:banana:
I was just wondering if I was the only person going in the program that does not have a bachelor's degree. I talked to Brenda and Dr. Clayton, they informed me that I can take classes during the summers to finish my bachelor's. As of right now I just filled out the forms and deposit. Butler here we go!

Sweet! See you in the fall. Are you from Indiana?

I'll see you in the fall. I'm from AZ. Tell me, is there any areas around the city I should avoid? I looked at apartments around the school and also around the city. Also, do you recommend living close to school because of the weather?

Last edited:
I'll see you in the fall. I'm from AZ. Tell me, is there any areas around the city I should avoid? I looked at apartments around the school and also around the city. Also, do you recommend living close to school because of the weather?

I think as long as you stay away from downtown you will probably be ok.. there are some nice apartments down there on the canal but they are super expensive.. the area around Butler is pretty nice.. I live in an apartment complex called The Residence at White River and we really like it here.. its only about 5 minutes away from Butler.. its a really nice complex and has a pool and everything.. the staff in the office are all really awesome too.. the only bad thing about it is that the only shopping areas around here are kind of crappy.. but if youre willing to drive a little further there are some nice places.. other than that it is great.. we will be moving out soon but only because we are looking for a house.. if you decide to look into it you should let me know! i think i get a discount on my rent if i refer someone! also, yes i recommend living close to school but not necessarily because of the weather.. the weather only gets bad maybe 2 or 3 times a year and even then it isnt that bad.. i think living close to school is just a good idea in general.. it makes everything easier.. good luck in your search and see you this fall :thumbup:

I think as long as you stay away from downtown you will probably be ok.. there are some nice apartments down there on the canal but they are super expensive.. the area around Butler is pretty nice.. I live in an apartment complex called The Residence at White River and we really like it here.. its only about 5 minutes away from Butler.. its a really nice complex and has a pool and everything.. the staff in the office are all really awesome too.. the only bad thing about it is that the only shopping areas around here are kind of crappy.. but if youre willing to drive a little further there are some nice places.. other than that it is great.. we will be moving out soon but only because we are looking for a house.. if you decide to look into it you should let me know! i think i get a discount on my rent if i refer someone! also, yes i recommend living close to school but not necessarily because of the weather.. the weather only gets bad maybe 2 or 3 times a year and even then it isnt that bad.. i think living close to school is just a good idea in general.. it makes everything easier.. good luck in your search and see you this fall :thumbup:

Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know if I decide to move to that complex. I'll see you in the fall.

If I were you I would look in Broad Ripple. Its close to campus and have a very vibrant social scene

I got into Butler too...just paid my deposit and stuff. I am looking for apartments or condos...any suggestions? Also, any advice on finding a roommate? The people in the housing department were not very helpful in finding an apartment off campus or a roommate because they want all their students to live on campus.

I looked in Broad Ripple but the apartments have bad ratings. So far I narrowed it down to 3 apartments. I think I'll do a short term lease just in case I don't like the apartments.

I got into Butler too...just paid my deposit and stuff. I am looking for apartments or condos...any suggestions? Also, any advice on finding a roommate? The people in the housing department were not very helpful in finding an apartment off campus or a roommate because they want all their students to live on campus.

Have you looked at any apartments online? I narrowed my search to Northview Apt., Residence at White River and Shore Acres.

You are right about the apartments. The thing to do in Broad Ripple is rent a house. They have a huge amount that are nice. Good luck with the search!

I looked in Broad Ripple but the apartments have bad ratings. So far I narrowed it down to 3 apartments. I think I'll do a short term lease just in case I don't like the apartments.

So I got a little impatient and emailed Marie Gray and asked what our next step is supposed to be because I want to meet with an advisor and everything.. she said that we should be hearing from the admissions office around the first of May and that they will let us know who our advisor is and all that..

just thought I'd let you guys know in case you were wondering too.

Thanks. I got housing stuff in the
mail today. I was disappointed because I thought it'd be academic. Has anyone declined housing yet? Do I just call the student affairs
Office?

Thanks. I got housing stuff in the
mail today. I was disappointed because I thought it'd be academic. Has anyone declined housing yet? Do I just call the student affairs
Office?

I just figured they would assume I'm living off campus when I don't send the housing app back.. I guess we will see lol

Yeah, I have decided the same thing, lol. I'm mostly just concerned with finding a roommate. I don't know anyone starting at Butler as a transfer and I'd like to live with a pharmacy student to make it easier to study and driving to and from school. I have no idea how to go about that though.

Has anyone been able to sign up for the Gallagher Koster insurance?

I would like to apply to Butler this cycle. I read on their website that they don't tell you if your courses are equivalent to their Pre-Pharmacy curriculum until after you apply. Is this true? I tried calling but the number didn't work. Is there no way to find out if I have all of the pre-reqs to apply? I don't want to apply to find out I have no shot because I didn't meet the pre-reqs.
Any advice would be helpful! Thanks.

I would like to apply to Butler this cycle. I read on their website that they don't tell you if your courses are equivalent to their Pre-Pharmacy curriculum until after you apply. Is this true? I tried calling but the number didn't work. Is there no way to find out if I have all of the pre-reqs to apply? I don't want to apply to find out I have no shot because I didn't meet the pre-reqs.
Any advice would be helpful! Thanks.

After you apply and pay the fee, they will evaluate your courses. They will let you know after a couple of weeks after your submission.

Wow, the process seems to have changed some since I went thru the program, just graduated from butler this past may:) whoop woop
For the apt questions- brip may not be the way to go, I lived at residence at white river and loved it, I felt brip was expensive for what they were going to give you... But on the upside a drink was always around the corner lol.
The classes are still fresh in my mind, so if you have questions about which to try to test out of or those that you'd be better off attending I'll let ya kno!
I'd love to answer any questions about butler and I'll be as honest as I can be:thumbup::