Butterfly IQ+

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jabbed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone upgraded? There's a scarcity of reviews and I'm debating whether or not I should pull the trigger. My tipping point is whether or not the cardiac imaging is actually better.

Reviews that I found:
https://criticalcarenorthampton.com...e-of-the-portables-the-butterfly-iq-reviewed/
Podcast #221 - Comparing Images of the Butterfly iQ and the iQ+

Members don't see this ad.

I use vscan, I refuse to succumb to the scam of a subscription model, even if it's my CME being used for such nefarious purposes.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I responded to a paid survey regarding various US models, and made it clear that the "subscription" model is pretty insulting.
Sell it to me. Or don't.

I have the first generation and my understanding is that the newer model simply has increased Hz and refresh rate along with smaller footprint and longer battery life. All of these things are secondary to me as I have no issues with refresh, battery life or the size. What they need to work on is image quality as in resolution and image fidelity. That's the only thing that would make me upgrade. The device is nice...but the image quality is kind of like those first and second generation ultrasounds. The kind some of us old"er" timers used to have to fire up and let warm up several minutes before you could actually use them. It was like rolling around a gigantic mainframe terminal. We called ours "Big Bertha". Anyway, the image quality reminds me of Big Bertha. It's useable but nothing like current gen ultrasounds. I remember when we finally got one of those older (now) sonosites and it was like watching someone make fire for the first time to a bunch of cave men. "Ooo ooo Ahhhhh good picture...small screen!" with a bunch of stomping, pointing and scratching ourselves.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have any further thoughts on the Butterfly more generally? As in, is it worth the money vs amount of convenience it adds to your practice?

Im thinking of getting one with my educational stipend.

Right now my biggest US issue is that whenever I want to use US I have to go find the machine, make sure no one else is using it, squeeze the huge tower in between two hallway beds, and then have a nurse yell at me because now the US machine is blocking their access to the IV pump. It seems like it would solve those problems handily...

Reactions: 1 user