Buy an Ipad?

Started by ghost dog
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ghost dog

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm thinking about buying an Ipad, and wondering if any people out there have one and how useful they find it.

The new version just came out, and it ain't cheap if you want to buy one ( at least $ 600 -
$ 800 on the low end). Moreover, you then get into buying apps : knowing myself, I will definitely do this.

Thoughts ?
 
I'm thinking about buying an Ipad, and wondering if any people out there have one and how useful they find it.

The new version just came out, and it ain't cheap if you want to buy one ( at least $ 600 -
$ 800 on the low end). Moreover, you then get into buying apps : knowing myself, I will definitely do this.

Thoughts ?

If you aren't using one for patient ed, you are behind the times.
 
If you aren't using one for patient ed, you are behind the times.

I use plain old paper for physio hand outs.

I never thought about using an ipad for patient education. Interesting.

So : that's one vote for yes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What apps are you using for patient ed?

1. PACS: the I-Pad's version of Safari allows you to view many, but not all, browser-based PACS images. If you have wireless in your exam room and fluoro suite you can now carry and show images to patients. THIS IS A HUGE IMPROVEMENT IN CARE.

2. Patient Ed Apps: The possibilities here are virtually limitless so I will list only a few.
a. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ispinepainmanagement/id377138849?mt=8
b. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ispinepainmanagement/id377138849?mt=8
c. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skeleton-system-pro-iii/id364694031?mt=8
d. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nervous-system-ipad-edition/id368515073?mt=8
e. Youtube: tons of orthopedic operations realtime & in cartoon format

3. Medical References: Too many to mention. However, You can carry key articles
in pdf for in your book library in pdf form. This means you can also carry your intake questionnaires with you and print them when needed.

4. Pandora and I-Tunes in the fluoro suite
 
or you can have a terminal in every room like i do with a cheap computer and nice monitor that costs 300-400 bucks connected to my server...

i love my ipad, but a computer does everything it can do for pateint education


1. PACS: the I-Pad's version of Safari allows you to view many, but not all, browser-based PACS images. If you have wireless in your exam room and fluoro suite you can now carry and show images to patients. THIS IS A HUGE IMPROVEMENT IN CARE.

2. Patient Ed Apps: The possibilities here are virtually limitless so I will list only a few.
a. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ispinepainmanagement/id377138849?mt=8
b. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ispinepainmanagement/id377138849?mt=8
c. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skeleton-system-pro-iii/id364694031?mt=8
d. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nervous-system-ipad-edition/id368515073?mt=8
e. Youtube: tons of orthopedic operations realtime & in cartoon format

3. Medical References: Too many to mention. However, You can carry key articles
in pdf for in your book library in pdf form. This means you can also carry your intake questionnaires with you and print them when needed.

4. Pandora and I-Tunes in the fluoro suite
 
or you can have a terminal in every room like i do with a cheap computer and nice monitor that costs 300-400 bucks connected to my server...

i love my ipad, but a computer does everything it can do for pateint education

No, you can't run apps on a computer.
 
No, you can't run apps on a computer.

i said it does everything you need for patient education... i didnt say it ran apps. Im saying you give nice patient education with a computer that is cheaper, and you can do your note on it at the same time...i didnt say it would run apps for patient education. And you can run apps on computer, my mac runs apps...
 
This app looks great but expensive...do you have a separate Ipad for the office or is it your personal one as well. i dont want grubby patients touching mine haha
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ispinepainmanagement/id377138849?mt=8



1. PACS: the I-Pad's version of Safari allows you to view many, but not all, browser-based PACS images. If you have wireless in your exam room and fluoro suite you can now carry and show images to patients. THIS IS A HUGE IMPROVEMENT IN CARE.

2. Patient Ed Apps: The possibilities here are virtually limitless so I will list only a few.
a. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ispinepainmanagement/id377138849?mt=8
b. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ispinepainmanagement/id377138849?mt=8
c. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skeleton-system-pro-iii/id364694031?mt=8
d. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nervous-system-ipad-edition/id368515073?mt=8
e. Youtube: tons of orthopedic operations realtime & in cartoon format

3. Medical References: Too many to mention. However, You can carry key articles
in pdf for in your book library in pdf form. This means you can also carry your intake questionnaires with you and print them when needed.

4. Pandora and I-Tunes in the fluoro suite
 
1. PACS: the I-Pad's version of Safari allows you to view many, but not all, browser-based PACS images. If you have wireless in your exam room and fluoro suite you can now carry and show images to patients. THIS IS A HUGE IMPROVEMENT IN CARE.

2. Patient Ed Apps: The possibilities here are virtually limitless so I will list only a few.
a. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ispinepainmanagement/id377138849?mt=8
b. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ispinepainmanagement/id377138849?mt=8
c. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skeleton-system-pro-iii/id364694031?mt=8
d. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nervous-system-ipad-edition/id368515073?mt=8
e. Youtube: tons of orthopedic operations realtime & in cartoon format

3. Medical References: Too many to mention. However, You can carry key articles
in pdf for in your book library in pdf form. This means you can also carry your intake questionnaires with you and print them when needed.

4. Pandora and I-Tunes in the fluoro suite

This is very, very cool. But dangerous - I'm starting to get that spending bug again ....
 
This is very, very cool. But dangerous - I'm starting to get that spending bug again ....

It's a business cost and you gotta do it. Patients love it.

Train your nurses and PAs to show them this stuff. That's what I'm doing🙂