Buy Ophthalmoscope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perzian

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was thinking about buying an ophthalmoscope to practice before starting ophtho rotation (i'm a medstudent).

Is this a waste of $$$ (i.e., will I need to buy a new one later on in residency)?

What's a good brand?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Perzian said:
Hello,

I was thinking about buying an ophthalmoscope to practice before starting ophtho rotation (i'm a medstudent).

Is this a waste of $$$ (i.e., will I need to buy a new one later on in residency)?

What's a good brand?

Thanks

I bought my own, but I used it for virtually every rotation. It takes practice to get good with a direct ophthalmoscope. In all likelihood you won't need your own for residency per se, but you should be good at using one, even though you don't use it a whole lot. I personally prefer the indirect and biomicroscopy (binocular vision is cool!)
I have the Welch-Allyn and it has been good to me. The lithion-ion battery is the way to go. It's a little more money, but the charge lasts a while and it is much lighter than the nickel-cadmium battery. That's my two cents.

For an optho rotation they will almost certainly have scopes available for your use. You shouldn't need to buy one for residency. I did 3 rotations at different places and never needed my own.