Technology Buying a Laptop

Started by adpitan
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

adpitan

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm going to be buying a mac laptop very soon. I am pretty convinced I am making the switch from pc to mac. However, I need help. What is the difference btwn the ibook & the powerbook? Why is one better than the other? Also, I am going to be starting my post-ba program at SFSU this Fall so does anyone have any recommendations for additioanl software to purchase besides Office for Mac?

Thanks! I appreciate the input
 
adpitan said:
I'm going to be buying a mac laptop very soon. I am pretty convinced I am making the switch from pc to mac. However, I need help. What is the difference btwn the ibook & the powerbook? Why is one better than the other? Also, I am going to be starting my post-ba program at SFSU this Fall so does anyone have any recommendations for additioanl software to purchase besides Office for Mac?

Thanks! I appreciate the input


There are advantages/disadvantages to both, but it depends on what you're looking to use it for.:

-bluetooth: This comes standard on all powerbooks, and are optional on iBooks. Bluetooth basically allows you to sync your laptop with your phone, PDA, or similar portable devices. If this is something you think you would want, there isn't a significant benefit to paying more for a powerbook just to get these. Its approximately $50 to add both to an iBook. Personally, I don't need this, so it isn't a deciding factor for me.

- Powerbook memory can be upgraded to 2GB. iBook memory can only be upgraded to 1.25gb. Also, standard memory and harddrive on 12" iBooks are pitiful (256mb, 30GB), and you would most definitely have to upgrade that instantly to at least 512MB and 60GB. Powerbooks come standard with 512MB and depending on the size, 60-100GB hard drive. Now, whether you really need this kind of memory is up to you. I can see how this would be a necessity for those who heavily use adobe programs and make movies and such, but if you're just using it for Office, internet, iTunes, DVD, and basic programs, you can get by just fine with 512MB.

-Graphics. Again, if you're in an graphic design field (which I'm assuming you're not), the graphic card and resolution is much better on the powerbook.

-Processor speed: 1.2GHz/1.33GHz ibook vs. 1.5GHz/1.67GHz powerbook. I haven't run both side by side for personal comparison, but the difference has been reported to be slightly noticible, but not significant. If you're just using it for basic things, this shouldn't be a deciding factor.

-Battery life: iBooks own powerbooks on battery life. 'Nuff said.

Larger powerbooks have backlit keyboards (15" and 17"), but I've heard of lots of people having problems with that, so I don't think its worth the extra money until they upgrade the powerbooks. iBooks are far more durable than powerbooks, so if you anticipate bumping it against stuff, you may be better off with iBook.

MORE IMPORTANTLY... If you are leaning towards iBook, you may want to wait as long as humanly possible as an update is expected in a few months. The newest upgrade to OS X, Tiger, is also set to debut in April or may, so the new iBooks should come with that equipped. I'm not sure when to expect a powerbook upgrade, so if you are leaning towards that, it would also be best to wait until Tiger is released.

My recommendation is the following: If you're using it for the same things I'm using my computer for (Office, internet, iMol, chemdraw, iLife, Dreamweaver, adobe acrobat, etc), and you need things like portability (being able to carry it to class), and battery life, I would recommend the 12" iBook upgraded to 512MB, and 80GB harddrive for $1,199. Same upgrade for a 14" iBook is $1,424. If you really like the powerbook, and are willing to sacrifice money, battery life, and portability, I would suggest the 15" (no upgrade needed) for $1,999.
 
I second that recommendation - my iBook is the best computer I've ever owned. By the way, I would suggest the 12" iBook over the 14", since it's smaller and they both have the same screen resolution anyway (i.e. the 14" has bigger pixels).

Other noteworthy differences:
- Applecare is more expensive for a PowerBook than for an iBook.
- The keyboard keys are concave on a PowerBook, and convex on an iBook.
- The white iBook is easier to get dirty.
- The plastic iBook scratches more easily, while the metal PowerBook warps/dents more easily.
- The iBook trackpad is bigger (but not by much).
- The PowerBook allows for native (no hacks required) secondary monitor spanning. iBook only allows for monitor mirroring.
- PowerBooks do not come with AppleWorks software.
- The 12" PowerBook is slightly smaller and lighter than the 12" iBook.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a 12" Powerbook and absolutely love it. The keypads feel great when you're typing, and the two-finger trackpad scroll feature is awesome. I have Bluetooth built-in (standard on Powerbooks, the new ones have Bluetooth 2.0). I don't use it on the Powerbook except a rare occasion of connecting to the internet through my cell phone. However, I'm addicted to Bluetooth products -- wireless headset for my cell phone, Bluetooth keyboard and mouse for my iMac desktop, and if I can find one, a Bluetooth notebook mouse to take along when I travel.

I have 768 MB of memory in my Powerbook and it's plenty fast. (I think it's faster than my iMac at times.)

When I looked at both the iBook and Powerbooks at the Apple Store, I felt that the Powerbook had a more solid construction.

If you are purchasing one, I highly recommend you visit an Apple Store if one is located near you. Be sure to take your student ID with you as this can save you $100-300, depending on what type of computer you purchase. And when you buy your iBook or Powerbook, be sure to get an iSight camera. It makes videoconferencing a breeze, and the features/compression is unmatched by any webcam on the market.
 
I had used pcs for most of my life until fall of my 1st yr of med school when I picked up my 12" powerbook. It is terrific -- I would not trade it for anything. Like southerndoc said, try them out either at the Apple Store or play around with a friend's. Also, think about what your school prefers and supports (pcs vs. macs) - this makes a difference. Finally, if you have a pda or will get one soon, think about compatibility issues.
 
I really don't think there is much in it, the slightly higher spec of the powerbook doesn't really let you do anything that you can't do with an iBook. IMHO

Probably the decider for me would be whether you intend to use an external monitor, and use your laptop as your only computer - if so, and you use an iBook you are limited to 1024 X 768 resolution. The main reason this is an issue is that 17inch LCDs run natively at 1280 by 1024 and have to scale down to the iBook and therefore doesn't look as sharp.

I think if you don't care about an external monitor, save some $$$ and get an iBook. If you do want an external monitor and still need to save cash - mirror it to a CRT screen which will be sharp at 1024 X 768 (or get a 15" LCD) Otherwise go powerbook.

Anyway ... i'm sure you'll be very happy - OS X is a pleasure to use
 
If you buy with a student discount, the iBook comes with apple care, so even when figuring in taxes, you save quite a bit. I got mine this way, upgraded the way specified in the second post + airport extreme card for $1,149+ tax, then paid next to nothing for Office through my school. I think the educational cycle begins in june, so if that is the case, technically you have to wait until june (just in case they randomly check you). I wouldn't fret over waiting, because as was said before, you'll be better off getting Tiger standard than having to pay $60-130 for an upgrade.

I agree with Jobsfan-- If this will be your only computer, and you think you'll want to use an external monitor from time to time, you may want to get a powerbook. This wasn't an issue for me, since I have a 20" iMac also for the time being. Nevertheless, the iBook is a powerful machine, and reliable.
 
Sorry, my previous post wasn't meant to dis the iBook. I was just pointing out that one should try them both before purchasing one. I didn't like the feel of the iBook keyboard, and I felt that the Bluetooth would be a useful feature (to connect to the web via my cell phone when on the road, to use Bluetooth travel mice while traveling, and to use a Bluetooth presentation device when giving Powerpoint presentations).

Speaking of Bluetooth phones and accessing the web, do any of you have fast cellular web access? I seem to be getting about 2400 bps so it seems. It's very slow.
 
Thanks for all the input, now I have more questions of course.

Vixenell,
what are iMol, chemdraw, iLife, Dreamweaver? Why is it best to wait for OSX upgrade? Is it just because it's a basic software upgrade and the newer software will be compatible with it or because it really is great?


Iwy Em Hotep,
what is AppleWorks software?

Koko,
Are you saying that the mac wont be compatible with the Palm Pilot that I have?


Why would I need to get the airport extreme card?

Thanks again!
 
adpitan said:
Koko,
Are you saying that the mac wont be compatible with the Palm Pilot that I have?

Any pc-based pda will be more of a pain with macs. People with pc-based pdas and macs need to buy Missing Sync, but even with that most pda software is geared toward pc systems, so you may not have as many options when you need to download softare for your pda (e.g. you may need to use someone's pc).
 
Koko said:
Any pc-based pda will be more of a pain with macs. People with pc-based pdas and macs need to buy Missing Sync, but even with that most pda software is geared toward pc systems, so you may not have as many options when you need to download softare for your pda (e.g. you may need to use someone's pc).


That's a bummer but I will keep that in mind.

Thank you
 
adpitan said:
That's a bummer but I will keep that in mind.

Thank you

If you have a Palm device, you don't need to worry about syncing with a mac. Windows based devices are those made by Dell, HP, etc, that run Windows Mobile. I would not get one of those if you are buying a mac computer.
 
heldicus said:
If you have a Palm device, you don't need to worry about syncing with a mac. Windows based devices are those made by Dell, HP, etc, that run Windows Mobile. I would not get one of those if you are buying a mac computer.
You can buy MissingSync if you need to. It's a program that syncs your Mac with Windows PC devices. I actually use it anyhow because it syncs better than Palm's HotSync, and it allows me to sync with AvantGo. It's relatively cheap ($20 or so).
 
adpitan said:
Vixenell,
what are iMol, chemdraw, iLife, Dreamweaver? Why is it best to wait for OSX upgrade? Is it just because it's a basic software upgrade and the newer software will be compatible with it or because it really is great?

iMol is a program that I use to visualize proteins. Its something that I find helpful for my research and aiding in biochemistry. xdrawchem is a free version of the real Chemdraw, which is a program that lets you draw molecules to insert into reports and such. I just find it easier to do it on my own computer than going all the way to the science computer lab to do the same thing. Both of these are programs I downloaded from the Apple site.

iLife is the OS X multimedia suite, that includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, and GarageBand. I primarily use iTunes, because i don't have a camera and no desire to make music or movies, but they're all top notch programs.Dreamweaver is a Adobe program I use to design/maintain webpages.

As for waiting for Tiger... it has a lot to do with the features that it comes with. Also, third party software created in the future will likely be most compatable with 10.4. This is mainly an issue because of the comparatively small portion of the population that uses macs; there's no real advantage to designing software to match outdated an outdated mac OS. Plus, I'm cheap, and see no reason to eventually pay $129 for something you could have for free 🙂 Tiger is great, but on a G4 Panther is great as well. I suppose its more of a personal choice; you'll have to deal with the birthing pains of Tiger, but it will be worth it IMHO; Panther has had all (or the vast majority) of its kinks worked out already.

Personally, I am more concerned with waiting for a upgrade to iBook than for tiger-- there's nothing worse than buying a laptop a month before a new version is released 😡 [/bitterness]
 
adpitan said:
Iwy Em Hotep,
what is AppleWorks software?
Appleworks is something like Microsoft Works. It allows for very basic MS Word/Excel support. I personally suggest just getting Office 2004 for Mac - it's great and you get 3 licenses.
Why would I need to get the airport extreme card?
Airport Extreme is Apple-speak for 802.11g, or Wi-Fi with a theoretical maximum throughput of 54 megabits per second.

You probably won't need to worry about it, since all current iBooks and PowerBooks come with this pre-installed. Should you buy an older iBook, you may need to buy the card separately and install it yourself.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Iwy Em Hotep said:
Appleworks is something like Microsoft Works. It allows for very basic MS Word/Excel support. I personally suggest just getting Office 2004 for Mac - it's great and you get 3 licenses.

I also recommend Office 2004 for Mac, especially since you can get it pretty cheap ($150) with a student discount. Either order it from journeyed.com or buy it at your local Apple store.
 
OK, so this is what I gather so far:

get the 12" powerbook OR I can get the ibook but upgrade the memory

wait to buy until Tiger is out

get MS Office

get missingsync

get Chemdraw, iMol

Don't need dreamweaver because I don't maintain webpages

This will be my only computer so I wanna make it good.

I really, truly appreciate all the help you all have given me.
 
adpitan said:
OK, so this is what I gather so far:

get the 12" powerbook OR I can get the ibook but upgrade the memory

wait to buy until Tiger is out

get MS Office

get missingsync

get Chemdraw, iMol

Don't need dreamweaver because I don't maintain webpages

This will be my only computer so I wanna make it good.

I really, truly appreciate all the help you all have given me.


I have been a Mac user for 10 years, and hope I can offer you some good advice.

I bought an iBook two and a half years ago, and it is still going strong. The only problem is that my younger brother inherited it from me, so now I have a PowerBook. Both computers are 12", but the PowerBook is a bit smaller in the case. I think the iBook has better protection from impacts, because its casing is thicker and extends out farther than the PowerBook's. However, if you have a laptop case that is padded, and you never drop your laptop into a backpack with other books, then this is not an issue, as the case will protect the smaller PowerBook. Also, the new PowerBooks come with a drop-sensor, that will protect your computer if you drop it.

I miss my iBook. A lot! That being said, I also love the PowerBook. I think you will be happy with either model. The PowerBook is a bit lighter than the iBook, and as was mentioned before, has more capabilities for expansion, like more memory, and bigger hard drives. If cost is an issue (when isn't it?) then you might be better off getting the less-expensive iBook. If you want to ensure you have enough hard drive space for years to come, the PowerBook might be a better bet. I used my iBook with a 30 gig hard drive for two years, and never ran out of space even with about 5 gigs in my iTunes music library. But files are getting bigger these days, so who knows?

Also, the advice about getting Microsoft Office might not be necessary. From what I understand, Apple has come out with its own new package called iWork, and this includes a presentation application (like PowerPoint, but called Keynote 2), and Pages, Apple's successor to AppleWorks.

A little bit of explanation: in AppleWorks, you can create word processing documents, spreadsheets, databases, and lots of documents using templates in one program. This is a little different than MS Office, which gives you about four or five different programs for each task. AppleWorks also will open any Word document, or Excel document, and you can save your files in Appleworks as Word documents by adding the extension .doc to the filename. So there is a lot of compatibility between Windows and Mac applications without having to spend a couple hundred dollars to buy MS Office. I went through four, well, five, years of undergrad without having to buy MS Office because I could do everything except make presentations in AppleWorks. However, this is up to you. If your med school needs you to have Word, then buy Office, I just wanted to clarify that you don't necessarily have to buy it. It probably would make life easier, but if you want to save the money you probably can.

I don't know much about iWork, but it includes both a presentation program and word processing. I assume it has the same interchangeability as AppleWorks, and as far as I know all new Macs come with it (please feel free to correct me). It's only 79 dollars, as compared to Office's 150.

Probably a PowerBook would be your best bet, but if you like the iBooks you could go for them too. Either way, a Mac is a great computer to have, and I hope you will be very satisfied with it.
😀
 
Agreed with most of the above, with a few comments on iWork.

iWork includes Pages and Keynote 2. Keynote 2 is Apple's version of MS PowerPoint, so should be pretty familiar. Pages does not attempt to be a complete copy of MS Word; it can best be described as a copy of MS Publisher, in that it allows the user to design documents as well as perform basic word processing tasks.

iWork does not include an MS Excel substitute, nor is iWork included in any new Macs.

While Appleworks and iWork will read and correctly display most .doc, .xls, and .ppt files, it might choke on complicated formatting. Since most people don't send files with complicated formatting, you might never notice this. I got Office 2004 just so that I wouldn't have to deal with any headaches.
 
Thank you all so much. This has been very helpful and very informative.
 
Has anyone purchased their laptop from CDW? I was looking @ the prices and they seem reasonable. Thoughts, ideas?

And yes, I am still going to buy an Apple, just haven't decided on the ibook or powerbook yet.
 
I've purchased things from CDW before, including my first laptop (many, many years ago). You have to set up an account, which can take days. So it's not like most mail order companies where you can order and have it shipped the next day. CDW requires you to set up the account and nothing will ship until the account is set up.
 
adpitan said:
Has anyone purchased their laptop from CDW? I was looking @ the prices and they seem reasonable. Thoughts, ideas?

And yes, I am still going to buy an Apple, just haven't decided on the ibook or powerbook yet.

CDW is reliable.

May want to try PriceGrabber for comparison shopping that includes reviews of sellers.

Make usre your Mac is juiced enough to handle Doom 3. Key. 🙂
 
If I buy my laptop from there will my warranty cover the screen or is that something additional? Also, should I call them to place the order or just do it online?

Thanks for the help!
 
I'm going to be getting a 12 inch iBook tricked out with 1.25 GB RAM (upgrading myself to save a lot of money) and an 80 GB HD. Also, I spoke to an Apple salesperson and they don't know when Tiger will be installed standard on all Macs (apparently it won't be starting April 29 when Tiger is actually released), but you can order the upgrade to Tiger for $9.95 if you purchased your Mac after April 12.

I forgot to ask the guy about the student discount, anyone know what they discount?
 
Never mind, I just found out it would be $100 off with free AppleCare and shipping.
 
^^Don't forget to include tax-- With that included, you should come out around $50 ahead.
 
SolidGold said:
Never mind, I just found out it would be $100 off with free AppleCare and shipping.

No AppleCare in FL...it's "against the law"...

Glad to see you're getting a mac solid gold..only super brilliant studs do that ;-)
 
USFOptho said:
No AppleCare in FL...it's "against the law"...

Glad to see you're getting a mac solid gold..only super brilliant studs do that ;-)

Just got a call about the AppleCare, and it also showed up as Not Applicable on my online invoice. What kind of crap is that? Yet another reason to get the hell out of FL after med school, on top of amendment 7 and 8. Well, at least I still get to be a super stud like USFOptho.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad